When to leave mead alone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Hi, my mead has been bubbling for about 8 days, and it's at about 12% ABV (OG 1.150, SG 1.05) and I've noticed that it's not bubbling as vigorously as it used to. I'm going to keep taking readings every day to track the fermentation, but it made me wonder when should I start leaving the mead alone vs. the early stages where you are supposed to add nutrients and aerate? Since it's not bubbling like it used to, it makes me worried the fermentation is going to get stuck and I'm tempted to put in more DAP and Fermaid K.

Thanks

This sounds like it's right on track, Majon. I don't know what yeast you used, but if you've hit 12% ETOH, you're way past 50% attenuation. Getting that in 8 days is great.

Leave it alone. It'll peter out to about a bubble every minute over the next couple of weeks. Anything that got past 12% is not stuck. It is harder for the yeast to absorb sugars and push out ETOH as the ETOH level rises. That is normal. Relax, don't worry, have whatever takes the edge off.

If it were me, I'd let it go in the primary for a month or so, and then rack it off the lees. It sounds like you're on your way to a tasty sweet mead.

Latest posts

Back