Recipe for Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levers101

Reaction score
I got this recipe for a hefeweizen off of the "Beer Recipator" it was one of the one ones I came across that gave a taste review after they put it into the recipator. Any input on it? Good, bad, indifferent?

Specialty Grains:

8 oz Wheat Malt
8 oz Belgian CaraMunich

Boil:

8 oz Honey
7 lb 8 oz wheat extract

Hops:

1 oz each Hallertauer at 60, 30 and 15 mins.

Yeast: Wyeast Weihenstephan yeast

I was thinking about going without the honey and using 6 lbs (seems like the only mass I can get via mail) Wheat LME and 1 lb. Wheat DME. What is the "conversion" from lbs DME to lbs LME?

The three hops additions seem like a lot to me. I'm drinking a "Hefeweizen" right now by Widmar Brothers I think, and it tastes alot more like a pale ale than a Hefe. It seems a little too hopped to me in comparison to the Ayinger Brau-Weisse I'd been drinking.

Suggestions appreciated.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Could you share your favorite recipe, bill? Iv'e got a wyeast 3333 burning a hole in my fridge...
I'm pretty sure that is Bill's favorite recipe...6 lbs. wheat dme, 1 oz. Hallertau. :)

Is there any use for specialty grains in a Hefe recipe? I kinda like the idea of using specialty grains just for something to do.

Levers101 said:
Is there any use for specialty grains in a Hefe recipe? I kinda like the idea of using specialty grains just for something to do.
There are hefeweizens that use grains other than pilsen/wheat malt (at least according to my reading), but not that many. Schneider-Weisse is a little bit darker than most, I suspect from Munich malt (which you could use). You could also do a dunkel if you really want to steep some grains, but I'll defer to someone else for a recipe on that.

Levers101 said:
I've steeped 4 oz. Belgian Aromatic and 2 oz Acid Malt in a Franzi Clone, and added 2 oz. malto-dextrin, but really the wheat dme is all you need. If you want to go for a dunkel, steep 8 oz. Munich malt, 7 oz. Cara-Munich, and 1 oz. British Chocolate, and bump the dme up to 6.25 lbs.

El Pistolero said:
I've steeped 4 oz. Belgian Aromatic and 2 oz Acid Malt in a Franzi Clone, and added 2 oz. malto-dextrin, but really the wheat dme is all you need.

We were supposed to brew that together.

How was it? I still need to brew it, after my next couple of batches.

Back