Sweet Champagne?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
I have some peach beer going which is going to end up closer to a malt-peach champane really since I'm not putting any hops in it. It's getting to the stage were I'm going to start adding the fruit. I'm asking here since I fiure you guys have more experience fermenting fruit than the people over in the beer forums.

How do I stop the fermentation when it gets to the level of dryness I want? Is that what campden tablets are for? How could I carbonate it if I kill off all the yeast without resorting to forced carbonation?

The only way to backsweeten if you're going to be naturally carbing is through use of non-fermentable sugars, such as splenda, lactose, stevia, xythol etc. however if you are bottle carbing, your yeast must stay alive

Yeah I, that was what I was thinking. I never thought about using xylitol, that would actually be decent, unlike of splenda, stevia, nutrasweet or the like.

I was thinking, what about adding the fruit along with the campden tablets (dissolved in some water) and then immediately bottling? Are the campden tablets tablets too fast acting or do they take a few days to kill everything off? Fruit can start a pretty active fermentation so i figure while it's in the bottle it would produce enough co2 to carbonate it and the campden tablets would stop it from becoming bottle bombs.

Back