I want to use my minifridge to chill an insulated box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
I searched but couldn't find this topic. I feel like it has to have been covered already. Anyway, I have a minifridge that I was thinking I could take the door off of. Then I could face it down into an insulated box that would fit 2 carboys or some kegs. Would this thing be strong enough to chill the box to lagering temps? More importantly, how would I do it?

The problem with facing the minifridge down is the compressor. The freon can get into your lines and ruin the fridge...solution...build it upright.

As far as getting down to lagering temps...I don't know. Seems like it would have to work much harder to get a space larger than what is already there down to the right temperatures.

Thanks for bringing this up again Soulive. This is probably a more effective use of my small refrigerator. Could definately build a nice beer fermenter or potentially a chest freezer shaped kegerator using the small refrigerator as the cooling unit.

I wonder how much space I could cool if it's well insulated?

well since those small refrigerators are usually very poorly insulated, if you did a much better job at insulating the thing than the factory does, it'd probably bring temps down nicely in a much larger space.

This is exactly how my bar is cooled. I can easily get down to lagering temps, but that is dependant on ambient air temp outside the bar.
Hence, in the summer, it struggles a bit.

I don't think you'd have any problem doing this if you keep the size of cold box down. Mine is nearly 6ft long, so it takes quite a bit to cool the whole thing.

Dude said:
This is exactly how my bar is cooled. I can easily get down to lagering temps, but that is dependant on ambient air temp outside the bar.
Hence, in the summer, it struggles a bit.

I don't think you'd have any problem doing this if you keep the size of cold box down. Mine is nearly 6ft long, so it takes quite a bit to cool the whole thing.

Dude, I'm only looking for something I could fit 2-3 Better Bottles in (for now). My dimensions would probably be like 4'x2'x3' or something...

I'm planning on building the same type of draft box bar in my basement remodel, but instead of a dorm fridge, I bought a 4.6 cubic foot upright freezer. Basically the same process, but the freezer has a little more OOPH to get the temp down than a mini fridge.

One thing to remember, chilling something does take some "oomph", but keeping already chilled things cold, takes nearly nothing at all.

Hey guys. This is the minifridge that I cannobolized a while back. Made the thing from 1/2 OSB, 1" Dow foamboard (trippled up. Plywood on the bottom, 2X4 frame, and lots of expanding foam. Also have a temperature control unit. The thing works really well. Only issue I have is the condensation, but that is collected in the bucket below.

BeerStuff005.jpg

BeerStuff006.jpg

BeerStuff007.jpg

I'm thinking if you could mount a tray of some kind under the evaporator and run a drain tub to a bucket outside, it may make it easier to deal with.

Back