Post your brew day injury

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
Ill start.. steam burns are beast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

1393960221380.jpg

Ouch!!! Yep you have to watch out for the propane burner! !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

This is actually the result of lifting the lid of a boiling pot on an electric stove. After a doctors appointment and a couple prescriptions later its starting to heal up.

Carrying extra stuff down to the basement after a rainy indoor brewday. Thank god I wasn't carrying the full fermenting bucket with my new batch of black lager. I slipped and landed flat on my a$$ on the stairs. 215# of me, a 5 gal bucket of misc. stuff, and a 6 pack of empties. Luckly the only thing hurt was my pride.

This pic is a week plus later after plenty of antibiotic cream. The things we do for good brew!

1394504943653.jpg

No pictures but I stubbed my little toe against my brew sculpture once.

I am careful around hot liquids and will never own a glass carboy, but that is another thread!!! ;)

i had the output of my counterflow chiller come off right onto my balls... lets say ITWASABITWARM ... ain't no one want pictures of that.. but just picture it.... full force just turned on chiller water straight to the go-nads....

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394816678.031167.jpg

I was brewing in the garage and slipped on some ice and dumped a gallon of boiling wort directly on my toes. It's been two and a half week and it's still not healed.
No pain no brew?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm very lucky here and no major brewing injurys. I've been using buckets as my main fermenters for awhile. I used carboys for a couple years, the buckets are just so much easier though.

Do brew sculpture injuries count? I got my leg pretty good with the angle grinder working on my new sculpture. Bloody picture if anybody wants.

I had a hose come loose on my hlt. I had just checked the temp at 178 degrees. This is what it looked like 4 days later. Luckily I didn't scar too bad. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404873101.830021.jpg

This is about a week later
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404873133.178235.jpg

I use camlocks now!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah..

Nothing this bad, but I don't drink at all until I'm into the boil.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410406768.389376.jpg

I did drop the freezer (fermentation chamber/future keezer) onto my toe while moving it. This was at 8 AM, no booze involved. No big deal though.

It wasn't a brew day injury but an injury resulting from building a fermentation temp controller. Sliced my thumb open, 9 stitches.

1411117814819.jpg

Yes, I was drinking. I was cutting apart an extension cord. Getting things ready for the next days brew. Made a porter, named it 9 Stitches Robust Porter.

Always cut away when stripping wire. I learned this the hard way as a kid helping his electrician dad.

I was cutting away, thumb just got into the action. What I learned that day was always use the appropriate tool for the task, lol.

This is a disturbing thread that almost makes me want to quit brewing.

Needless to say, I feel much better about my decision of going camlocks everywhere and the use of a pump. I'm still in the danger zone of a carboy accident however. I have changed away from Big Mouth Bubblers as they are the worst constructed pieces of brew equipment there is (had two break for no reason whatsoever), but regular thick walled ones can still be dropped...(contemplating the use of dollie)... crossing my fingers.

I guess they listened to the avalanche of complains. Version 2 was released today ad Midwest and NB. I guess I'll buy one to see if it indeed is an improvement.
Oddly it happened just after my previous comment, as this has been an issue for almost a year.

339639_544714775353_296793635_o-67290.jpg

This was taken a few weeks after my finger got cut off when a buchner flask broke. I was trying to pull a hose off it so I could use it to make a starter. I did not get to make beer that day, so I don't know if it counts. Moral of the story, if a hose required heat to put on it requires heat to remove, and never try to force glass.

Last edited:
Ouchie!

But....Buchner - close enough - that was an error just waiting to happen...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18caPNisP2U[/ame]

Cheers! ;)

Back