I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
85710? Hmm, I don't get it yet. A riddle?

I'm guessing zip code. I'm probably wrong, I usually am on the riddles, doesnt keep me from replying

Actually I should get my butt back on the riddle thread but to tell the truth, I think I'm played out there for now. I doubt that thread will go away anytime soon though. It's needed once in awhile. :mug:

I'm guessing zip code. I'm probably wrong, I usually am on the riddles, doesnt keep me from replying

Actually I should get my butt back on the riddle thread but to tell the truth, I think I'm played out there for now. I doubt that thread will go away anytime soon though. It's needed once in awhile. :mug:

You just show up and instantly solve all the riddles...spoiler;)

I was in the middle of coverting it to base14 then to the greek alphabet and reading it in a mirror...I thought I was on to something. (Perhaps the word "to" should have been omitted from the prior sentence?)

I did some wiring in an old house today. I guess it was built in the 1880's. It has maid/butler quarters with a back stairway to the kitchen. Entrance hall, grand staircase, parlor, living room, dining room on the main floor and three family bedrooms on the second floor. This is definitely one of the nicer houses in town but in serious need of maintenance. The guy trying to fix it up has no experience. I cringe at the "repairs" he is making. Patching cracks in plaster that are caused by settling supports without fixing the root problem first. I guess I'm just anal. I'll get over it.

I did some wiring in an old house today. I guess it was built in the 1880's. It has maid/butler quarters with a back stairway to the kitchen. Entrance hall, grand staircase, parlor, living room, dining room on the main floor and three family bedrooms on the second floor. This is definitely one of the nicer houses in town but in serious need of maintenance. The guy trying to fix it up has no experience. I cringe at the "repairs" he is making. Patching cracks in plaster that are caused by settling supports without fixing the root problem first. I guess I'm just anal. I'll get over it.

As bad as it is to say it. Not your house, not your problem.
But I feel for you. Houses that have character and promise really need to be treated well and given the support they need or else they will soon become that thing that haunts you. This is coming from a guy who has helped jack up a house to get it sitting (mostly) level again and all shored up.

At least you know that the part you did will last.

As bad as it is to say it. Not your house, not your problem.
But I feel for you. Houses that have character and promise really need to be treated well and given the support they need or else they will soon become that thing that haunts you. This is coming from a guy who has helped jack up a house to get it sitting (mostly) level again and all shored up.

At least you know that the part you did will last.

I have a soft spot for historical structures. It seems common sense to me that you start at the foundation and work your way up. Not this guy. He is a retired engineer too. My work will hold up. I don't cut corners.

Did we ever figure out what was happening in PP's garage?

Sorry, I might have answered before. Fixed my microwave. I bought a similar one to scavenge for parts. That's why there were two. The red solo cups hold screws from the disassembly... cups are labeled indicating where the screws came from. I've never played beer pong and, in fact, I've never seen it played. I don't think it was invented yet the last time I played a drinking game.

The beer in the picture was sent to me by a very cool member of this forum, in fact a poster in this thread, mhurst111. He sent me an absolutely fantastic homebrew rye saison, some great IIPAs, a crazy high-alcohol beer that sent me right to bed, an imperial pale ale, and the Apricot Blonde. I saved the apricot for last, thinking it would be the worst, but it was really good and refreshing on a very hot Sunday afternoon. In fact, they were all excellent, with the saison being the best of the bunch. Thanks Mike!

Its the zip code here in sunny warm (already) Tucson guys. Broke 90 on Tuesday. Forecasted to be back in the 80's by the weekend.

This weekend is a huge air show at the local Air Base. First in many years, first for the grandson. Should be a good time. Amazes me how some of these aircraft (C-17 Globemaster III) get off the ground empty, no to mention after they are loaded with tons of tanks,vehicles and men! The C-17 max take off weight is 595,000 lbs, 297 tons! Thunder Birds will be performing too!
http://www.dm.af.mil/library/d-mthunderandlightning.asp

I've never played beer pong and, in fact, I've never seen it played. I don't think it was invented yet the last time I played a drinking game.

Ahh..beer pong. Great game. You can buy beer pong games at some big liquor stores. Even dedicated tables for the game! Bounce a ping pong ball into a cup, opponent drinks the beer.

Holding out hope that the re-re draw of the big giveaway has my name in it. Next draw is Thursday per TXBrew. Anyone here get on the winner list yet?

Sorry, I might have answered before. Fixed my microwave. I bought a similar one to scavenge for parts. That's why there were two. The red solo cups hold screws from the disassembly... cups are labeled indicating where the screws came from. I've never played beer pong and, in fact, I've never seen it played. I don't think it was invented yet the last time I played a drinking game.

The beer in the picture was sent to me by a very cool member of this forum, in fact a poster in this thread, mhurst111. He sent me an absolutely fantastic homebrew rye saison, some great IIPAs, a crazy high-alcohol beer that sent me right to bed, an imperial pale ale, and the Apricot Blonde. I saved the apricot for last, thinking it would be the worst, but it was really good and refreshing on a very hot Sunday afternoon. In fact, they were all excellent, with the saison being the best of the bunch. Thanks Mike!

You know, PP, you did explain it earlier. I'm down to my last few days of work and next week the big move. I seem to be zoning out a bit, more than normal, sorry about not remembering.

Sounds like a nice score on the homebrews! mhurst111 can I send you my address? :D

Its the zip code here in sunny warm (already) Tucson guys. Broke 90 on Tuesday. Forecasted to be back in the 80's by the weekend.

This weekend is a huge air show at the local Air Base. First in many years, first for the grandson. Should be a good time. Amazes me how some of these aircraft (C-17 Globemaster III) get off the ground empty, no to mention after they are loaded with tons of tanks,vehicles and men! The C-17 max take off weight is 595,000 lbs, 297 tons! Thunder Birds will be performing too!
http://www.dm.af.mil/library/d-mthunderandlightning.asp

I don't know how many times I looked at your signature and didn't get it. Then it hit me last night. I actually looked up the zip and compared it to your location to be sure. That was cheating a bit I suppose. :mug:

297 tons! That is truly amazing. The heaviest aircraft I ever worked on were around 122,000 pounds which includes 50-60K pounds of fuel if Im remembering correctly.

To bad they couldn't haven't gotten the Blue Angels, they skunk the T-birds. Just joking, got to stick up for my Navy. Both teams are full of absolutely incredible pilots and airplanes. The acrobatics they perform is nothing less than spectacular. Just think, those guys get paid to do that!!

Dan,
I think you were joking, but send me a PM with your address. Wont be able to send for a coulle weeks, but I can put a small house warming package together. My sister went to school there (Honolulu U as I called it). She will be visiting in May, so can send it in her luggage.
I do only have 1 of the saisons left, and that is mine. :)

PP
Glad you liked the beers. The uncle jacob will knock you right out.

Mike

I work on a Navy airbase, FA-18E/F, Super Hornets. The training squadron puts on a lot of airshows across the country. Use to be every, I think it was Tuesday around noon one of that squadron's airplane would do an airshow practice.

Amazing stuff they did. One manuever they did was fly the aircraft at a slow speed with a high angle of attack. It is sort of like a wheelie on a motorcycle. The aircraft moved horizontally with but the angle of the airplane was probably around 70 degrees pointing up. After the run they would kick on the power and climb nearly vertically. Something went wrong about a year or so ago and the airplane stalled and dropped out of the sky. Both the pilot and his backseater were killed. The routine has changed since then. The practices were called off for months and I haven't seen one lately but i believe that particular profile was removed or modified.

The Hornet is a really neat airplane and the guys that fly them are awesome. Truly.

Mixing a batch of thin set to tape the shower surround seams. Spring is amazing for motivation. I usually have 3 hours on the couch by now. Well, here goes. I'm actually pretty good with taping...swearing should be minimal;)

Dan,
I think you were joking, but send me a PM with your address. Wont be able to send for a coulle weeks, but I can put a small house warming package together. My sister went to school there (Honolulu U as I called it). She will be visiting in May, so can send it in her luggage.
I do only have 1 of the saisons left, and that is mine. :)

PP
Glad you liked the beers. The uncle jacob will knock you right out.

Mike

Mike, I was just joking but if you insist! :mug: That would be an awesome house warming present. I promise I'll return the kind gesture once I get up and running.. Might be a good number of months from now.

I'll PM my address

Cheers!

Dan

haha

Drunk octopus.jpg

Mixing a batch of thin set to tape the shower surround seams. Spring is amazing for motivation. I usually have 3 hours on the couch by now. Well, here goes. I'm actually pretty good with taping...swearing should be minimal;)

lschiavo, I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about but sounds like a great project. Spring, even out here in California after a very mild winter compared to yours, is always invigorating! Have fun my friend. Welcome back to the warm times. :D

Tape drywall/greenboard?

No, its tile backer cement board. Special fiberglass tape and thin set mortar are recommended. I had to mix a second batch. The two corners sucked up the first pan. Two and a half vertical seams to go. I hope I mixed enough...I wanna go to bed.

lschiavo, I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about but sounds like a great project. Spring, even out here in California after a very mild winter compared to yours, is always invigorating! Have fun my friend. Welcome back to the warm times. :D

We got the work van stuck in the yard of the house we were working on today. Ground was solid when we started in the morning. Ripped some huge ruts trying to get out and had to get pulled out in the end. I guess we have to fix those ruts tomorrow.

No, its tile backer cement board. Special fiberglass tape and thin set mortar are recommended. I had to mix a second batch. The two corners sucked up the first pan. Two and a half vertical seams to go. I hope I mixed enough...I wanna go to bed.

We got the work van stuck in the yard of the house we were working on today. Ground was solid when we started in the morning. Ripped some huge ruts trying to get out and had to get pulled out in the end. I guess we have to fix those ruts tomorrow.

That sounds great! Nice to have friends/coworkers you can count on. It will all work out, Ischiavo.

I've built 2 showers with cement board down into the pan liner. I don't think I skimmed the board, I just filled in the gaps with thinset as I put up tile. Are you tiling over it?

Thinking about it now, it probably would have been easier to skim the cement board then use construction glue to put up the tiles. Hmmm...

I could look it up on the inernet. But can somebody just give me a cliff note on this "skimmed" and "thinset" thing? Please.

I could look it up on the inernet. But can somebody just give me a cliff note on this "skimmed" and "thinset" thing? Please.

Thinset is a thin smooth cement for setting tile. Maybe it's a trade name, not sure.

Skim coating is what you do to cover seams in wallboard. With drywall (gypsum), you tape the seams and skim with joint compound. Then sand, then repeat. I hate it because I'm no good at making the seams invisible.

Thinset is a thin smooth cement for setting tile. Maybe it's a trade name, not sure.

Skim coating is what you do to cover seams in wallboard. With drywall (gypsum), you tape the seams and skim with joint compound. Then sand, then repeat. I hate it because I'm no good at making the seams invisible.

Okay, thanks Pappy. I've done some skim coating..didn't know that's what it was called. I don't think I was reall good at it, but it did seem to work well enough that a coat of paint hid flaws.

Thinset, I have absolutely no experience with that. My tenant recently tiled the living room and hallway flooring. I've seen it done on YouTube videos. I think my wife would be pretty good at it. You should see some of the cakes she makes. Works of art and even though the terms are different, I think thinset would be appropriate as a base layer.

Few people are good at it, which is why god created orange peel wall finish. Hides all the flaws in mud and tape jobs.1397105242002.jpg

Tape drywall/greenboard?

I've built 2 showers with cement board down into the pan liner. I don't think I skimmed the board, I just filled in the gaps with thinset as I put up tile. Are you tiling over it?

Thinking about it now, it probably would have been easier to skim the cement board then use construction glue to put up the tiles. Hmmm...

I'm just taping the joints as you would with drywall. I'll set the tile with thin set or adhesive...haven't decided yet. Mud is ready. Taping, cleanup and bed. Gnight all.

This is sort of a change, well it's a total change in subject.

I hate going to a doctor and I'll tell you why, just to get that out of the way. 1. Drink to much. 2. Eat badly 3. I stopped working out regularly 4 years ago. 5. I think if I go to a doctor they're going to tell me how much I have screwed my health away. 6. I turn 50 4/21. 7. I'm afraid they'll tell me how badly I have destroyed my body. Guilt.

Downer.. sorry

I hate going to a doctor and I'll tell you why, just to get that out of the way. 1. Drink to much. 2. Eat badly 3. I stopped working out regularly 4 years ago. 5. I think if I go to a doctor they're going to tell me how much I have screwed my health away. 6. I turn 50 4/21. 7. I'm afraid they'll tell me how badly I have destroyed my body. Guilt.

Downer.. sorry

Go to the dermatologist as well. I've had two co-workers diagnosed with melanoma in the last year (one of them a young ~31 year old) and had a scare myself.

Skin cancer is fairly common, and deadly. But easily treatable if caught early.

I hate going to a doctor and I'll tell you why, just to get that out of the way. 1. Drink to much. 2. Eat badly 3. I stopped working out regularly 4 years ago. 5. I think if I go to a doctor they're going to tell me how much I have screwed my health away. 6. I turn 50 4/21. 7. I'm afraid what they'll tell me about how badly I have destroyed my body.

this is sort of a cleansing.

I am going to bed. I just taped another seam (perfection;)). I just went to the doctor expecting the worst. I lost weight, blood pressure is good. I was honest about my beer consumption. I'm eating well. I need exercise but I'm not near death like I felt at times this winter. Garlic, capsaisin, ginger, turmeric and lots of sex have been good for me. Over and out!

Gonna add on to my previous post. If acceptance is the first step, maybe I should try it. I'm sorry if this brings spirits down on this thread.

I truly dont like going to a doctor. I don't want to hear a lecture about what I have done wrong with my health.

I did have a doc once tell me for my age (at the time 40) I was at least 15 years younger on a medical scale. I would imagine the same doc would say I'm 15 years older now, than my age on that same scale.

I know it's my lifestyle. As said before I drink to much, and I don't eat healthily these days. The time apart from my wife (three years) has not been benificial emotionaly or physically.

I'm not looking for a shoulder to cry on. I just figure...just figure I'd put this out there about myself. I have great resepect for many of you here on this thread and have recieved the same from many of you. I just want you all to know, I'm not that great of a person physically or more importantly - I'm not really all that good of a person. I have many faults.

Go to the dermatologist as well. I've had two co-workers diagnosed with melanoma in the last year (one of them a young ~31 year old) and had a scare myself.

Skin cancer is fairly common, and deadly. But easily treatable if caught early.

Its my current worry. I talked to my wife about skin cancer. Probably why I'll go get checked out. Not looking forward to have him or her Doc tell me what else I've done wrong with my body.

'I'm a bit of a hard headed fool.

Gonna add on to my previous post. If acceptance is the first step, maybe I should try it. I'm sorry if this brings spirits down on this thread.

I truly dont like going to a doctor. I don't want to hear a lecture about what I have done wrong with my health.

I did have a doc once tell me for my age (at the time 40) I was at least 15 years younger on a medical scale. I would imagine the same doc would say I'm 15 years older now, than my age on that same scale.

I know it's my lifestyle. As said before I drink to much, and I don't eat healthily these days. The time apart from my wife (three years) has not been benificial emotionaly or physically.

I'm not looking for a shoulder to cry on. I just figure...just figure I'd put this out there about myself. I have great resepect for many of you here on this thread and have recieved the same from many of you. I just want you all to know, I'm not that great of a person physically or more importantly - I'm not really all that good of a person. I have many faults.

We all have our faults. I have a lot of respect for you as the person I have drawn up in my head. You are good people, especially since you can detect flaws in yourself.

I share your distaste for going to the doctor. It is kind of funny, being the body type where I have been between 145-155 lbs for the past 17 years and overall pass the health qualifiers, getting the same lecture about my diet and (lack of) exercise regimine. Do take care of yourself as we want to be hearing your late night thoughts for years to come. Everybody has their vices, its enjoying them in moderation that is hard.

We all have our faults. I have a lot of respect for you as the person I have drawn up in my head. You are good people, especially since you can detect flaws in yourself.

I share your distaste for going to the doctor. It is kind of funny, being the body type where I have been between 145-155 lbs for the past 17 years and overall pass the health qualifiers, getting the same lecture about my diet and (lack of) exercise regimine. Do take care of yourself as we want to be hearing your late night thoughts for years to come. Everybody has their vices, its enjoying them in moderation that is hard.

Well said Jon.

And I agree. I hate the doctor's office. I took a 5 year gap between appointments and I regret going back. I don't like medicine and I don't need to pay ridiculous amount of money for someone to tell me what I can look up online.... I understand their importance once you reach a level that requires assistance... But luckily, I haven't found a need for it yet.

Back