Should I wait or pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smbuckley

Reaction score
I made 5 gallons of an irish red ale about 36 hours ago and it still has no signs of fermentation, but I also have a 1 gallon batch made from left over wort that I pitched harvested yeast in and it started fermenting very quickly. I know I should wait 72 hours, but I am leaving for a week in a couple hours. My question is should I wait until I get back to do something, or pitch as much of my already fermenting 1 gallon batch into it.

Also would it be safe to mix in the 1 gallon batch because it has a different strain of yeast?

Also is it safe to wait a week before I take any action?

It was the irish red ale from wyeast, with no starter and about 6 weeks old. Not sure about the ferm temp, but it is at 65 degrees right now which I thought to be pretty standard.

You should be fine, I think your are a little under pitched. If you are leaving for a week I would use a blow off tube set in a sanitizer solution so if it takes off big while your gone you won't come home to a beer mess. With a blow off tube in place the beer will be fine for the week you are gone, the 65 degrees is about perfect.

Thanks, If i come back after a week tho and it still did not ferment, could I add more yeast or is it pretty much ruined?

Back