Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did get that razor and it is in fact a red tip. Stupid farking lying auctin titles. It is in pretty damn good shape though but I wouldn't have paid that much for it if i had been paying close attention to the pictures.

I am considering saying something to the seller about it.

i'd at least send him a note and let him know that he's an idiot. :D

you actually got that for a decent price since it's in good shape. a few just sold on the B/S/T area of B&B for 25 and 28 bucks, so your wasn't a bad deal at all. and if you don't want it, you could shine her up a bit more and probably at least make the money back selling it over there.

i'd at least send him a note and let him know that he's an idiot. :D

you actually got that for a decent price since it's in good shape. a few just sold on the B/S/T area of B&B for 25 and 28 bucks, so your wasn't a bad deal at all. and if you don't want it, you could shine her up a bit more and probably at least make the money back selling it over there.

Ok, I feel a lot better about it now. I shaved with it last night and thank god I changed my mind at the last minute and didn't use a feather. I nicked the hell out of myself.

I really don't think I could shine it up much more. The only thing wrong with it that I can really see is the coloring on the tip has be rubbed off in some tiny areas.

One of the brushes came in today too so I might start on that over the weekend.

I still want to get an adjustable but ebay isn't very much fun and the B&B BST stuff sells almost once it gets posted.

for sure. you just have to be patient on ebay, i finally got one last week (slim). it was $26, but that seems to be about the going price for them. sometimes there's just a lull in the activity that you gotta jump on. but i agree, it's annoying.

I've had to stop recently, the soap I've been using has been drying the hell out of my lips. Been using COL. Conks almond. Anyone have any others they recommend?

CO Bigelow (Proaso)
Caswell-massey Sandalwood Shave Cream

The Caswell doesnt lather very well, but it is super smoothe, almost lotion like, I get a good shave with it.

I've been using Proraso with good results. Art of Shaving unscented is nice... TOBS Sandalwood does ok...

Good prep is key with all of it but I think the AOS stuff shaves me the smoothest, regardless of if I use an Astra SP or a Feather.

Proraso Green tub-o-cream, Proraso white tub-o-cream (if my skin is feeling irrtated prior to shaving), CO Bigelow tube-o-proraso-green, or a drug store puck of shae butter soap.

I've not gone too crazy with the tool collection or brush collection. I have a decent Merkur Silver tip badger, and a couple drug store Boars hair. 3 tools.

And prolly 500 blades. If not more. I got one of those really large Ebay sampler sets.

I've not gone too crazy with the tool collection or brush collection. I have a decent Merkur Silver tip badger, and a couple drug store Boars hair. 3 tools.

And prolly 500 blades. If not more. I got one of those really large Ebay sampler sets.

Ha! I thought I was a little daft with my 100 Shark blades.

As for my equipment, just the DE safety razor (from my birth year), a decent brush, and a nice ceramic mug. I also keep the Mach whatever around, for those very few times when I am in a big rush and can't spend 5 or 10 minutes shaving.

I've had to stop recently, the soap I've been using has been drying the hell out of my lips. Been using COL. Conks almond. Anyone have any others they recommend?

definitely get the CO bigelow (proraso rebranded), as recommended above, at your local Bath and Body Works. it's all i use anymore.

You will want a tallow soap if that is too drying. There are many different options out there.

Doesn't dry my face out. I love the soap other than the lips.. I will try the CO Bigelow as I've heard good things about it. I do use shave oil and find it really helps. Thanks for the input everyone.

I switched over to a merker 34c about a year ago. I use the cheapy cakes from the box stores, and the cheapy blades as well.

I did splurge and buy some afershave lotion. I cannot wear fragrances at work, so I had to pick one with a neutral odor.

So far I am pleased. I get a reasonably close shave for pennies on the dollar. I have a very thin beard as it is. I can get a much smother shave, but I risk developing razor burn. Something that happened with every shave back when I was using the multi blade razors.

I found a new shaving cream at the grocery store the other day. It is called Every Man Jack. It was on sale for $3 so I decided to give it a shot. It says it is a fresh mint smell but it is a very light scent and almost unnoticable. I decided to give it a shot the next day and no matter what I couldn't get it to lather at all. I gave up and just added some proraso to the bowl thinking I just wasted $3. Well once I whipped it up with the proraso it was the best damn lather I have ever had. I have been adding a little of this Jack to every bowl along with whatever soaps or creams I have been using and I love it.

Another thing that I like about it is that if I am in a big hurry you can just spread some of it right on your face and just shave like that. It isn't great but it works fine for just one quick pass.

Strange how shave creams and soaps seem to work better when you mix them together, is it some sort of reaction at the point when they mix that couldnt be acheved were they blended together at manufacture?

Hey Monkey, do you use Witch Hazel? Its a great after-shave linament, no fragrance.
I tried it when I first swapped over. It seemed to dry my face out.

My skin is not overly sensitive, but if I shave incorrectly, I break out like a 13 year old.
I am using an alchohol free aftershave moisturizer. So far its been very kind to my face.

I tried it when I first swapped over. It seemed to dry my face out.

My skin is not overly sensitive, but if I shave incorrectly, I break out like a 13 year old.
I am using an alchohol free aftershave moisturizer. So far its been very kind to my face.

I use both. I will always use witch hazel and often will still use a AS balm afterward.

One common issue that people state for not wanting to try wet shaving with a DE razor is that it takes too much time.

This weekend I figured that I would run a timer while I shaved to see how long it takes me.

Not counting my morning shower or drying off because you would be doing that anyway, I have my scuttle in the sink full of hot water, brush soaking while I shower, the time it took to build a bowl of lather, apply and make one WTG, one XTG, and one ATG pass, rinsing my face, applying witch hazel and rinsing/drying the scuttle and brush it took me 6 minutes 30 seconds total.

I don't think that is a lot of time devoted to a morning shave, if I went to one WTG, one XTG only and let the brush and bowl air dry I would be under 5 minutes easy.

Is that really an excuse not to get a remarkable shave? That it takes too long?

One common issue that people state for not wanting to try wet shaving with a DE razor is that it takes too much time.

This weekend I figured that I would run a timer while I shaved to see how long it takes me.

Not counting my morning shower or drying off because you would be doing that anyway, I have my scuttle in the sink full of hot water, brush soaking while I shower, the time it took to build a bowl of lather, apply and make one WTG, one XTG, and one ATG pass, rinsing my face, applying witch hazel and rinsing/drying the scuttle and brush it took me 6 minutes 30 seconds total.

I don't think that is a lot of time devoted to a morning shave, if I went to one WTG, one XTG only and let the brush and bowl air dry I would be under 5 minutes easy.

Is that really an excuse not to get a remarkable shave? That it takes too long?

I haven't timed it but it does take me closer to 10 minutes I would guess. Considering I could shave in about 90 seconds before and I am almost always cutting the time too close in the morning that does make a pretty big difference.

I have started to just smear that every man jack on my face and one quick WTG pass and it is working fine. When I don't have to be into work early or when I shave on weekends I am able to take my time and do it the right way.

I tried the with, cross, against. Method.

It gave me ingrown hairs. The against the grain part really tears up my face. Now I just do with and across. I have only had a few shaving bumps in the past year.

As for time. I would imagine I could get it done in a few minutes (I only shave after showering and heat my bowl and brush in the sink) But the only times I have cut myself, is when I am in a rush. I found that taking a few extra minutes, saves me a whole lot of sting from the styptic pencil. :D

If I'm really rushed, I'll face lather (no bowl) and use a disposable. It's actually not a bad shave for me. I feel like the brush + quality soap/cream aspect of wet shaving is more vital than the blades themselves.

I do prefer DE blades, but I have to do more passes.

I tried the with, cross, against. Method.

It gave me ingrown hairs. The against the grain part really tears up my face. Now I just do with and across. I have only had a few shaving bumps in the past year.

As for time. I would imagine I could get it done in a few minutes (I only shave after showering and heat my bowl and brush in the sink) But the only times I have cut myself, is when I am in a rush. I found that taking a few extra minutes, saves me a whole lot of sting from the styptic pencil. :D

I was having problems going the standard three pass. I just now do north to south everywhere then a south to north pass all over and do touch ups here and there. That gives me a much better shave.

If I'm really rushed, I'll face lather (no bowl) and use a disposable. It's actually not a bad shave for me. I feel like the brush + quality soap/cream aspect of wet shaving is more vital than the blades themselves.

I do prefer DE blades, but I have to do more passes.

I am the other way. I will use a DE no matter what but need to speed up the lathering process.

I should clarify, I do 3 passes on my face, but only go WTG and XTG on my neck, if I push it to 3 passes I end up with a few weepers, seems that the follicles on my neck are somewhat akin to permanent goosebumps, and I start to slice them off if I make an ATG pass every day, so I usually only do it on the weekend if I have somewhere fancy to go.

I find one WTG one ATG then touch ups works best for me. The XTG with my face just doesn't do much.

I switched from proraso soap to bigelow cream (same thing really right?!) and it sped up the lather building a lot.

the proraso doesn't like my hard water and if i just faced lathered with it, it would probaby work out for the better. ohwell, it wakes my whisking arm up to go and make the ludicrous amounts of hollandaise and bernaise i have to hand whip...

On another note, I started bidding on some adjustables. If I could sit on the BST forums most of the day I could probably find one for less than what a nice one is going on fleabay but alas...

yeah, it's damn near impossible to get an adjustable on BST at B&B, too many people itching for one. i finally found one on ebay for a reasonable price. i knew it wasn't in the greatest condition, but i got it cleaned up and running smooth. tell you what, it gives a great shave, some of the best i've had thus far.

what kinds of blades are you all using? i love the gillette 7 o'clock series (mostly yellow and blue) and the permasharps.

i switched to Astra SP's exclusively. Personna Reds felt about the same but I decided on a 100 pack of Astras instead.

Once I get another razor, I'll have to try some different blades again but I think the Astras will work about the same.

i got a pack of astras in a sampler i bought some time ago. i tried one and didn't think much of it at the time, but i had been trying quite a few different ones. i'll have to try one out again.

I tried a feather again the other day... it felt dull so i tried another. it also felt dull. i guess feathers and my rzor don't mix well with my face and neck.

So much like beer, what works me may not work for you.

what kinds of blades are you all using? i love the gillette 7 o'clock series (mostly yellow and blue) and the permasharps.

I just ordered 50 each of feathers and 7'oclock greens the other day. They are by far my favorite I have found so far.

i got a pack of astras in a sampler i bought some time ago. i tried one and didn't think much of it at the time, but i had been trying quite a few different ones. i'll have to try one out again.

I hate astras. I have had problems every time I ever tried them.

I tried a feather again the other day... it felt dull so i tried another. it also felt dull. i guess feathers and my rzor don't mix well with my face and neck.

So much like beer, what works me may not work for you.

That is weird since they are sharp as hell but every blade works differently in every razor for every face. Some people prefer some blades in some razors but not in others.

I use Crystals (Israeli personas) and Sharks, (thanks to Pappers) the Sharks work remarkably well in my NEW and in my Tech, they shave the same on every pass, I can get a week out of a blade with no ill effect. I haven't given the Crystals enough face time to really decide how long the last, but so far very similar to the Sharks.

I tried Feather blades, they were sharp as all get out, but quickly go south after 2 shaves and started pulling and leaving weepers.

Won a 1961 Gillette Fatboy today from Ebay! :) Paid more than I would have liked but a lot less than what a Futur or progress would have been so overall happy so far. We'll see how it shaves in a week or so when it shows up.

Back