Orchard growing help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CidahMastah

Reaction score
It is the time of year to start planting trees if you are interested in creating your own home orchard. I am expanding my current orchard by 22 trees, and found the link below to be a great quick resource of bloom dates, pollination groups etc (in particular for the English varieties I am planting).

If you are planning on starting an Orchard and have some english varieties you are putting in, you may have a lot of questions about pollinators, fruit ripening, bloom, etc. Heck if you are jsut a complete newbie and want to start learning about how you could arrange your own orchard. I thought I would share this resource of inexpensive ebooks.

http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/ebooks/

While owning my own land is still just a dream thanks anyway for that link. Lots of good info. What varieties are you planting this year?

While owning my own land is still just a dream thanks anyway for that link. Lots of good info. What varieties are you planting this year?

I have fully mature Northern Spy, Mcintosh, Red Delicious and a huge pear tree which variety I don't know. I planted last year Goldrush, 2 empire, Sundance and Gala.

This year I am putting in a couple pear trees and 22 apple trees:

English varities:

Kingston Black
Yarlington Mill
Frequin Rouge
Bulmers Norman
Roxbury Russet
Coxs Orange Pippin

American varieties:

Fuiji
Goldrush
Honeycrisp
Northern Spy

The site is really great for planning your layout. The sheets give the tough to find information all in one spot. Wish I had these sheets years ago when I started planning my Orchard!! ha It was good t look at now, but I had already committed and down extensive research elswhere :p. This would have saved a ton of time...

I should have some fantastic cider making opportunities in the years to come!

Back