The lone bottle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
So I just tapped two bottles of my Boston Ale clone with my roomate and was dealt an interesting surprise. While his bottle was perfectly carbonated, mine was more or less flat. The bottles have been conditioning for two weeks now. I snuck two bottles of the BA on Friday and Saturday night even though I know they're not ready yet and they were both perfectly carbonated as well. There didnt seem to be any leak in the cap or anything.

Every have this happen? It seems, and I hope, this bottle represents an isolated incident. This lone bottle is sowing seeds of terror and confusion in my fragile home-brewing psyche. Anyways, I hope it's a fluke. Other than that, the beer is delicious! So, yeah.
-Ben

My first two bottles I set aside for observation and testing. The way I look at it, you can clean the equipment, but there is going to be residue inside the hoses, racking cane, bottle filler, etc. etc. To me, the first two bottles are experimental. Maybe that's what happen to you. Also, there is that last bottle that doesn't quite fill up all the way and has a lot of head space, to much O2, maybe you got that one.

ok i had the same thing happen and it wasnt limited to a single bottle. some bottle were pretty close to flat and some a little better, but none of them were really as fizzy as they should be. the caps seemed to be on well enough, though they werent as tight as commercial brew caps. i kind of wondered how long you have after adding the priming sugar. the whole bottling process took a while.
flat beer sucks. i have to get this issue figured out
are you racing the clock after the priming sugar is added?
might it just be easier to use bottle by bottle priming?
is it possible the caps could be leaking gas even if the seal seems good and they dont leak any liquid?
does aging the bottles have a big effect on the carbonation of the brew?
thanks

Back