Sorry America...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danlad

Reaction score
A bit back I grumbled about SNPA not being very good. The other day I saw some in Asda (maybe a WalMart thing?) so bought a couple of bottles for research...and now see where I went wrong!

Serve It Warm.

The place I had it before served it chilled to buggery probably figuring 'it's American so it will want to be chilled like Bud' and robbing it of all its...well...beeriness. When it is warmer it becomes a decent, hoppy pale ale. Keep up the good work, America. I'm off to find a clone recipe to brew in the new year...

But in a far smaller bottle!

Like the old joke about 'the food here is terrible' 'Yeah, and such small portions'

I'll have to give it another go. When i tried it cold I was completely underwhelmed. Now their Celebration Ale is phenomenal...

A bit back I grumbled about SNPA not being very good. The other day I saw some in Asda (maybe a WalMart thing?) so bought a couple of bottles for research...and now see where I went wrong!

Serve It Warm.

The place I had it before served it chilled to buggery probably figuring 'it's American so it will want to be chilled like Bud' and robbing it of all its...well...beeriness. When it is warmer it becomes a decent, hoppy pale ale. Keep up the good work, America. I'm off to find a clone recipe to brew in the new year...

Thanks,, I needed a chuckle

No worries, danlad. It's a common belief that all our beer is crap and should be ice cold to mask the piss flavor. Cheers to you finding out otherwise! *raises a pint glass*

SNPA is what it is. It's sold everywhere where I live, gas stations, stop and robs, sort of like BMC. It's known for the hint of citrus flavor that it has. I buy and drink it every now and then. <shrug>

danlad, if you can make it down to London for the Great British Beer Festival next August, they have a section with American beers there which has a decent little selection (in addition to the 500 odd beers total at the show).

Another problem might be getting it fresh. American beer is no different than beers elsewhere in that certain styles are best served at a proper temp and in a proper glass.

I've found SNPA to be the quintessential American Pale Ale (unless I'm misusing the term quintessential), and very tasty. I've had others that were even more hoppy, and were more like an IPA than a Pale Ale, but I like IPAs too, so no worries.

Back