Sweet, fruity aroma on first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder

Reaction score
Should I have a rather sweet aroma after 3 weeks of fermentation?

This is an APA kit from Listermann's here in Cincinnati. It's been in primary (bucket) for 3 weeks as of today, and since I didn't have another handy, it was never transferred to secondary. I did not check the OG (first batch, cut me some slack), but according to the instruction sheet that came with the kit, it should have been 1.058. The airlock showed movement after about 12-18 hours, stopped completely after about 3 days, and after 2 weeks at about 65degrees, the SG was down at 1.010. It was that again today, when I went to bottle for the first time.

As I started to rack to the bottling bucket, the aroma was not what I expected. It was rather sweet, and somewhat fruity. It was not banana, which I have read at times listed as an off-flavor. It's hard to put with a specific fruit, but maybe apricot.

At first, I thought it might just be the priming sugar along with the beer, but upon further inspection, the beer in the primary was the cause. Should it have been this sweet? Since it was my first batch, and it was not as expected, I'm thinking something's not correct. I didn't actually taste it. Should I? Or should I just let it age for a couple weeks, and see at that time what it's like?

My first thought is that it's under-fermented, but I really have no clue, so I turn to the experts. Thanks for any help.

It sounds like it fermented too warm- when you say it was "at 65", was that the temperature of the beer in the fermenter, or was that room temperature? What kind of yeast did you use? And if you post the entire recipe, we can see if it's related to the ingredients (like the hops you used).

The recipe is as follows:

4 lbs Canadian light
4 lbs Munton's Malt
1/4 lb 60 L Crystal Malt
1 oz Nugget Hops (pre-Boil)
0.5 oz Galena at the 45 minute mark of a 60-minute boil
1 oz Galena at the end of the boil
0.5 oz Galena dry-hopped at 5 days.

Yeast was US05 Ale yeast (dry packet)

I don't have a thermometer in the basement, so, I'm just going off the stick on thermomter on the side of the fermenter. It read 63-65 whenever I checked. Originally, I had it stored in another room in the basement, and the first time I checked, which was about 12 hours after I pitched, the thermometer read 59F, so I moved it out into the main room, thinking the temp was too low.

Back