Crushed Red Pepper Flakes IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottleopener

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with crushed red pepper flakes in a beer? I was fiddling around with an APA recipe and got it in my head that red peppers would be delicious.

I was thinking about possibly "dry hopping" this beer with red pepper flakes. From what I've read in other threads, more boiling=more heat? I'd like to add just a small taste of red pepper. Any thoughts?

Recipe:
-7lbs Extra Light DME
-.5lbs Crystal L20
-.5lbc CaraMunich
-1 oz Chinook (14 AA) 60
-1 oz Chinook (14 AA) 20
-1 oz Cascade (6 AA) 5
-1 oz Cascade (6 AA) Dry.

-1/2 Teaspoon red pepper flakes?

Any feedback/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
-bottleopener

I don't know if 1/2 teaspoon would be noticeable in 5 gallons with plenty of hops to compete with. I use more than that on one slice of pizza.

I don't know how spicy you want the beer to turn out, but I brewed up a Jalapeno wheat with a buddy of mine using 12 jalapenos (cut in half and removed the seeds) that were in for the whole boil. Also, we primed it with brown sugar that we brought to a boil with 2 habanero peppers (halved and seeds removed). We just started drinking it and it's pretty darn good. It has a decent amount of heat to it, but definitely not enough to leave your mouth on fire.

Back