Largest extract boil volume in a 7.5 gal pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddoghoek

Reaction score
I've been stalking for a while, love the knowledge here.

So I was wondering what people would consider the largest 'safe' amount of extract you can boil in a 7.5 gal pot? I'm looking for a final volume of 5 gal but I've been told by my LBS that 3 gal is probably the most I want to boil to avoid a boil-over. Seems a bit low to me, and I want to see how close to a full boil I can get to. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

I normally do 4-4.5 gal in a 7gal pot and don't boil over. It has taken some practice to "see" the boil over coming and turn the heat to nearly off( and sometimes off by accident). Once I start the boil I don't turn my back because the moment I do it will start boiling over. I think next brew I will do a full 5 gal and risk it.

Using "fermcap S" you can likely boil 6.5 gallons. Just be very paitient and approach boiling slowly, and keep a glass of cool water, or a spray bottle of water handy to knock the boil down if it gets violent.

Another thing you could try is to start w/ five gallons, and top up the kettle w/ additional water as you boil off to end at 5 gallons. This might be easier.

I have a 7.5g pot and I safely do 5g no problem. Though I'm limited to 5g boils because that's all my stovetop can handle. Anything more I can't get a good boil.

Thanks for the replies! I haven't tested the limit of my stove yet. It's not a commercial unit but it's propane at least. I'll do a dry run and see how long it takes me to boil 5 gal. Good way to check my boil-off too I guess.

The one thing I find the most confusing so far is the large discrepancies between beer calculators. Trying to hit a target IBU based on boil volume, but i'm not sure if Tastybrew.com takes boil-off into the calcs. If I use brewtarget I get totally different numbers.

I just did my 1st brew last weekend in a 7.5 Gal pot.

I handled 5Gal just fine w/ no boil overs or really anything close to it throughout the whole day.

Ended up with a shade under 4.5 Gal after a 60min boil ----Next brew I'll push it up close to 6 I think.

Just my $.02 from a rookie

I do 6.5 gallons in my 7.5 turkey fryer pot but it gets a little dangerous. I use Fermcap and a spray bottle or use the lid to fan the foam as it gets to the top. Haven't had a boil over yet but I don't get far from the pot, either.

Edit: Not sure if it matters or not, but that is with all-grain brewing ...

Good thread Maddog. I was curious about this too since I was about to buy an 8gal pot and the difference between it and the 10gal is $14 (normal aluminum)...and I'm trying to keep this hobby as cheap as possible because of SWMBO.

I have a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot and did all my boils in it at 6.5 to start for a 5.25 fermenter amount. I had to start the boil very carefully but it was doable.

I now use 10 gallons for 7 gallon pre-boil amounts and feeling more safe I have gotten complacent and have had two boil overs in 4 batches!

I did about 4.5 gallons earlier this week with no issues but you have to watch it closely. I watch the foam climb the pot and when it's about an inch away I turn the heat off to let it subside. As the foam recedes I turn the heat back on and slowly crank it until I get back to a safe, rolling boil. I am sure I could handle more but I would still like a larger pot. :)

I use a 30 qt turkey fryer set from walmart. Brings my water to a book much faster than my natural gas stovetop. And it's a much more rigorous boil.

I do 5-6 gallons in mine without using fermcap. Just have to watch it like a hawk for a bit until after the hot break. No issues with boil over for me.

I brewed with a 7.5 gallon pot for years!

The most I could get in it was 6.25 gallons without having a boilover. I would bring it up to a boil, watch it like a hawk for a couple of minutes until after the "hot break", and then I could add the hops without any boil overs.

Here is a question I have been pondering: Other than the mess that I make, why do I care about boil over? I am brewing outside to begin with, so if I boil over all I end up with is a little mess on the floor of my carport and the outside of my brew kettle.

Is a boil over going to change the flavor of my wort in anyway? I'm not looking to just walk away, but I would like to go back inside and sanitize my carboy, etc., while I am otherwise just waiting out a timer.

I would think that the mess is the primary reason. You will lose a little liquid as well but not too much, depending on how violent and long the eruption is. If you've already added your hops without putting them in a bag then I guess you could lose some of them as well.

I do 4 gallon boils in a 5 gallon pot. You just have to watch it like a hawk. I basically stand by the pot with oven mits on. when it starts to foam I lift the pot until it settles, then put it back on the heat. I have noticed most of the vigorous boil-overs happen shortly after adding the hops (pellet). If I have help, one of us mans the gas shut-off..

I would think it would work fine, just keep your eyes on it.

The one issue with boil-overs is, it messes up your Blichmann..(I brew outdoors after an indoor boil-over) I had to clean out the gas holes from wort boiling and solidifying in them. So, if you are using an outdoor cooker of some type, the boilover can burn and stick to your cooker. Just clean and inspect after it cools down.

I do 7 gallons in my 8 gallon pot all the time. I do get boilovers from time to time, but with fermcap, a spray bottle and a watchful eye, I can (and do...when I'm not getting lazy) avoid it.

To the guy trying to decide if he should spend 14 more for the 10 gallon, I'd tell him that If I had it to do over, I'd make that deal in a nanoheartbeat.

image-2913872471.jpg

So 5.5gal + 12lbs of fermentables = crazy close!
Did the Dragonmead Absolution clone last night. Thankfully my stove doesn't give me a violent boil. I left a thermometer in the pot to see when it was going to boil, and killed it at the hot break as soon as I saw signs. Little close for comfort though. :)

Back