Ipa vs apa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason81

Reaction score
Just wondering what the difference between Indian pale ales and American pale ale is? I haven't actually ever drank an Ipa but recently had an Apa from a larger microbrewery somewhat local and loved it. Are there any partial mash recipes for apa's

ipa's tend to be stronger and hoppier, in general. they also are sometimes maltier, but hoppier to compensate. there are a lot of differences, but usually subtle. 2 good recipes are edwort's pale ale, and CascadePA. i have CascadePA in my repertoire as a regular, but instead of 4 cascade additions, i do cascade, willamette, cascade, willamette. great brew

I just assume if it's a Pale Ale, then its not an IPA but a more mellow "American" or "English" Pale ale. Pale ales are a bit less hoppy then IPA's.

It can be confusing, because I've had some APA's that were quite a bit stronger and hoppier than some IPA's.

The links I posted give good examples of commercial beers that follow the "guidelines".

edit: Side note; There's a discussion brewing to change the description of Double IPA's or Imperial IPA's to be called San Diego Pale Ale.
Since, you know, that's where the style started...
;)

I make an apa called 4-c's, which can easily be mistaken for an ipa. cascade, chinook, columbus and centenial - hence the 4-c's. very tasty

I make an apa called 4-c's, which can easily be mistaken for an ipa. cascade, chinook, columbus and centenial - hence the 4-c's. very tasty

Heh! I once made a "3C IPA" Centenial, Cascade, Chinook.

It was funny because of an inside joke, 3C was a derogatory term.
:D

Back