Worst Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deranged_hermit

Reaction score
In your opinion, what is the worst beer commercially sold in the US? Please mind you that I'm from the Midwest and a lot of what i consider worst beer is from personal experience.

1. Miller High Life
2. Natty Light
3. Milwaukees Best
4. Keystone Light
5. Bud Light

Meister Brau (is it made anymore?). Used to be able to get a case for $3 a couple decades ago. Wasn't worth the glass and cardboard case it was wrapped around.

Other classic gag beers. Old Style, Schlitz...

Hey, I like Miller High Life when the situation calls for it; only in the 12 oz clear bottles though. I'm not the only one around here either :p.

Nope. When mass market swill is required I'll enjoy the High Life (in the bottle). But I'll atleast try any beer once if it's Free & Cold. And DB, it was just last week I was wondering if Meister Brau was still made. I haven't seen it in ages. And Schlitz isn't too bad if it's really cold, and of course, FREE.

The worst beers I've had would be O.B. (Korea) or Singha (Thialand). Singha is brewed with formaldehyde. Nasty after taste. The worst beers in N. America would be the ones with A-B somewhere on the label.

desertBrew said:
Meister Brau (is it made anymore?). Used to be able to get a case for $3 a couple decades ago. Wasn't worth the glass and cardboard case it was wrapped around.

Other classic gag beers. Old Style, Schlitz...

Hey, I like Miller High Life when the situation calls for it; only in the 12 oz clear bottles though. I'm not the only one around here either :p.

Yah, I don't know what's going on with the High Life bashing. You guys just don't know good lawnmower beer when you taste it. :rolleyes:

I've had much worse swill than High Life, for sure. Coors Light, Bud light. Turns out I also used to be a prety big fan of Special Ex and Old Style too. Brewed in God's country, you know. :D

I'll drink a little High Life also, but yeah, bottles only. It's 5.99 a sixer around here pretty often.

Mine is Hudy Gold or Drummond Brothers. My grandma always has them at her house because she knows I like beer and she's all about cheap. I do have to say that I like Drummond's slogan though:
"A light libation of extraordinary character."

Baltika 9 from russia is truly terrible. In fact it's two worse than Baltika 7 and a whopping four worse than Baltika 5, both of which are also... Terrible!

For me there's nothing worse then Miller Light.... To many drunk college nights to say anything too bad about natty of Keystone ..

Anyone remember when Black Label USED to be good? And had the red can with the black label?

Try it now...you pop the top and hardly get any carbonation release, and it tastes like water.

I'd have to say Meister Brau or Stroh's. The others, on a hot day and when the beer's ice cold, I'm not afraid to admit that any other beer, in that situation, would be ok by me.

loop

cgravier said:
i always hated 'redhook', eventhough its hugely popular on the west coast.

pbr sucks too,

I'm ok with PBR, especially when it only costs 75 cents at a bar. I'm with you on some of the Redhook, though. I tried what I think was the sunshine rye (something like that) and it was pretty much the worst thing I've ever had. Tasted like bad soap.

Old Dutch (The Good Beer)

BCU_99-40_MB.jpg

I was fortunate enough to know the two girls very well that tended the register at the state liquor agency in the town where I went to highschool in Ohio.

We would always go into the state agency and buy whiskey and beer when I was 18/19 years old. They had cameras set up for security reasons, so we would just give our IDs to these girls we knew, they would look at it as if they were verifying our age and put ona good show for the cameras, and then sell us the stuff. No big deal.

Except this one time....

We were in the store after it closed, waiting for the girls to finish up and come party with us. We had the booze already paid for and in bags by the checkout counter when the owner of the shop pulled into the parking lot. The girls pushed us into a walk-in fridge to hide from the owner as he did whatever he was there to do so that they would not get into trouble.

Biding our time in the fridge, I started rummaging through a pile of oddball six packs that were sitting in a dark corner. Near the bottom I came across a dusty (literally) six pack of Old Dutch. Under the name of the beer in fine print it said "The Good Beer".

I thought to myself, "Self... if this is The Good Beer, then I'm going to have to get some of it."

After the boss had left, we came out of the fridge with Old Dutch in hand. I told one of the girls that I wanted to get the six pack and she looked at it with a weird expression.

"I've never even seen that before. Where did you get it?"

When I told her she said that I could just have it. It had probably been in there for a long time and was likely going to be thrown away.

Score! Free beer! And not just any Old Beer.... this was the one and only Old Dutch, The Good Beer.

They got the "old" part right.
The "dutch" was way off (it was from Detroit).
"The Good Beer" part??? Blatant lie.

I grimaced when I tasted it and my buddy Jeremy couldn't even convince his throat to allow it to pass, so he had to spit it out.

That stuff was the absolute worst thing I have ever put into my mouth. There were 5 of us partying that night, and we only managed to open up two cans, neither of which was fully consumed.

I threw the other 4 cans into the river.

Sorry.. one more thing about Old Dutch.

I found an info page on line that says that the Old Dutch Brewing Co. went out of busniess in 1972!!!!

That's 2 years before I was even born, so by the time I bought this the beer would have had to have been 20 years old! (Oddly, though, I remember it having the modern flip-top can instead of the pull-tab, but maybe my memory is failing me on that.)

No wonder it was so terrible.... bad beer aged 20 years is still bad beer.

-walker

the usual litany of PBR, Old Swilwaukee, MeisterChow, the Beast, Natlight, Keystone, Busch/Buschlight all apply. I don't put Bud/light/Lite into this category because, while not good beer, I would choose any of them over the ones I listed first, and Budlight is normally my mowing/yard work beer. At least, it was before I started brewing. I am going to try and come up with a nice night crisp beer for the yard stuff, though.

One that I drank in college a lot as it was only $9.99/case, and $11.99/case for 16oz bottles was Golden Anniversary. Needed to be ice cold. We used to consume mass quantities of that swill.

I do like ClearBottle (Highlife) once in a while, but it also needs to be cold.

PBR and High Life are best out of the bunch described. When given the choice between miller light and pbr I will always choose pbr. The worst beer I have ever had was Rienlander "As fresh as Wisconsin's north woods"

I'd say the Beast or Busch. Keystone was pretty bad, but I did drink it when times were rough.

Southpaw is pretty bad, but we mostly funneled it in college

Suprisingly I found a beer thats 6$ for a 12 pack that I drink when I'm running low on homebrew. It's called 211 or 221 and its 6% ABV, highest in MS allowed, and tastes better than Bud Light or Select to me.

Growing up in Michigan, the worst beer on the market at the time was Goebel. Dunno if it still exists.

I haven't read the entire thread... but I have the answer!

Carling Black Label!

No doubt about it. Getting to the bottom of a can with it being warm, is a sure gagger....

You drink Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity Lager?!

The worst beer I ever had was a can of warm Miller's on a hot summer day in Illinois. I was about 8 and Tom Oltman's dad was a little twisted, gave us each a can. Didn't touch it again until I was 19.

david_42 said:
You drink Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity Lager?!

Yep, just b/c its cheap and 6% ABV. Gave it a try the other weekend and was impressed for the price. Kind of ironic going from that to a homebrew... :D

I think it's actually decent for the money. I just can't stand to spend 8$ on a sixer of microbrews when I can make 5 gallons for 20-22$ or so.

I used to drink Hurricane malt liquor in tallboys. $2.89/six pack! Ice cold, in a can, it was drinkable. After I started brewing, I bought some and poured it into a pint glass. That smell..........crikey! It is putrid, putrid stuff.

Dude tried some of that Redhook Sunrye, and pretty much said the same as above.....that it was awful. I took his word for it.

Sasquatch said:
Texas Star and Lucky Lager are both the worst.

Lucky Lager was the best! We used to have our of-age friends buy cases of that stuff for us and we'd stack them all up in a closet. The puzzles on the caps provided hours of entertainment. They always seemed to get easier the more beer you'd drink. I never did understand the 11 oz. bottles, but for $3 a 12 pack (and being 18 years old) we didn't complain much.

The worst beer I've ever had - Blatz Ice
We used to drink all the nasty cheap stuff, but that one was the worst. Never had bigger headaches the next morning than I got from a twelve pack of Blatz Ice.

Anyone remember the generic "beer" that Ralph's in California used to sell? White can, blue stripe around the middle, and the word "BEER" in black on top. Can't get much better than that!

I can pretty much stomach anything, and had to from the college drinking days when it was all about cheap beer in mass quantities for parties, but I really do not like PBR.

My wife's grandfather's beer would win this. It was a very plain can that, in big bold letters, said BEER on it. It was back in the day when generic everything was popular. I have no idea who actually made it. The head literally looked like dishwashing soap suds and the taste was horrible...

Oh man, Nate. You brought back some memories. We used to call it BEER beer. I think miller used to make it. Good call.

loop

loopmd said:
Oh man, Nate. You brought back some memories. We used to call it BEER beer. I think miller used to make it. Good call.

loop

Agreed on the memories. I remember the can and a quick google states it was in fact Miller. Never had the pleasure to taste any of that stuff though. I was too busy sneaking Meister Brau from the old man :eek:. No wonder when I was a pre-teen I never thought I'd like beer nabbing that swill.

Walker said:
... Old Dutch..... went out of busniess in 1972!!!! -walker
Yep! I still have part of my old beer can collection from the 1970s and I still have that can - one of my favorites! (The can that is, never had the beer.) Before you posted this, I was going to ask 'when' you had it. These days, the cans are worth more then the contents! And, yes, they had the old pop-tops that came completely off.

My vote? The worst, ever beer was Schlitz back in 1977, By that time, the corporate bean counters took over and tried to save money by using cheap adjuncts and little malt. Horrible, horrible stuff.:( It put Schlitz out of business and they eventually sold the name to Strohs, then Pabst.

Check out this old Schlitz ad?

schlitzafro1.jpg

Lots of contenders, but I have to go with Miller Genuine Draft in the can. Absolutely horrible. The bottles are drinkable, but the cans have this taste of aluminum/beer?/skunk piss. Nasty. Second place is the real OB you get in Korea (OB sold here is brewed by AB). Whether it really has formaldehyde in it or not doesn't matter, it tastes like it.

Steel Reserve? brother, when your out of homebrew and your reaching for that ice cold 2x4 of Steel Reserve, think of your loved ones, would they want the neighbors to know that your drinking that?

no, of course they wouldnt.

Peel off a couple more skins and grab a bomber of something they could be proud of.

Schlitz Bull Ice = The. Worst. Beer. Ever. I shiver, gag, goosebump, and quiver just thinking about it. I can't imagine what would happen if I were to smell it. I cannot believe this stuff actually sells.

Schlitz_Bull_Ice0111.jpg

Back