Cool down then warm up then cool down beer....Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
Is it bad to have bottled and carbonated home brew go up and down in temperature here and there.... As long as it doesn't get too hot obviously... but say go from 66 down to 40ish then back up... Not often just here and there.
I have heard it is and I've heard that is a myth.
Thanks!

I would think this would be hard on the yeast, going dormant then being woken back up. I would think that you are losing a lot of cells in this cycle.

I'm sorry.... My questions was regarding bottles that have already carbonated... not fermentation vessels that are currently doing their work. Thanks!

Such temp swings can mess with bottle carbonation & conditioning times,certainly. But if that phase is already complete,then storing them in such conditions might be ok. But not ideal,imo. I prefer temps with as little differential as possible with current circumstances.

Think about commercial beers, micros or otherwise, they go through hot cold cycles repeatedly from the brewery to the distributor to the store or bar, and even at the store or bar they may be moved from warm to cold. Even from the cooler at the store, to your car and back into the fridge at home. And yet we don't have consistently bad beer do we?

We don't even know how many times those beers go through temp changes do we? Warehouse at brewery to back of truck to distibutor's main warehouse to truck to disributor's regional warehouse to truck to beerstore's back room to MAYBE the cooler to our car to our fridge. Through all kinds of weather across the country, and unless the beer is lightstruck and skunked, the beer usually tastes fine, doesn't it?

Heck even add hot cargo hold of a ship for some imported beers to the equation.

This is one of thosemyths that just needs to die....

Well,in my case,I just prefer to avoid those situations if at all possible. I always thought that temp swings,even in bottled beer,could cause the flavors to mature faster then slower,etc. And in so doing,cause it to age faster to the point where it starts going down hill.
But I must say that regardless,it still seems to take 5 to 7 weeks to start noticing differences. So at the least,it's a minute difference.

Latest posts

Back