Bud American Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick

Reaction score
So, I'm sitting here sitting in front of the computer, reading HBT, sipping on a glass of Vienna SmaSh. Wife tells me friends down the road have invited us over for a cookout. I have no bottled beer, so a trip to the corner store is in order.

I read that Budweiser American Ale uses Cascade hops, so I thought I would give a 6 pack a try, just for grins. Wow!, what a disappointment.

Best description I could muster: Carbonated hop water. No flavor. I guess that Vienna SmaSh spoiled my tastebuds.:rockin:

a buddy and I bought a bottle of that stuff when it first hit the shelves around here out of curiousity. We made the mistake of having a scotch ale before moving on the the bud....you're right, no flavor!

At least it isn't OFFENSIVE like bud....

It doesn't move very well so there are a lot of old bottles around. I have had a few very fresh bottles and have enjoyed them all. A little thin on the body but they had a nice bready/biscuit malt character and a good clean cascade flavor.

It's one of those beers that when a bar has NOTHING else I';; drink one - luckily most Macro beer bars now have New Glarus Spotted cow to get people off their beer nipples.

It doesn't move very well so there are a lot of old bottles around. I have had a few very fresh bottles and have enjoyed them all. A little thin on the body but they had a nice bready/biscuit malt character and a good clean cascade flavor.

That's definitely a big problem with it. It's also better on tap IMO. I wouldn't call it a complete failure by AB, but it was a half ass attempt for sure.

I actually enjoy American ale from time to time. My local liquor store had sixers for $3.99. If it's on sale I'll pick one up.

I picked up a 6er while visiting family in rural Ohio because it was literally the only thing at the store that wasn't a fizzy yellow american lager.

I thought it was absolutely terrible. I couldn't finish the bottle I opened.

I brought it back to NC with me and gave it to a friend to try. He dumped his bottle out after a couple of drinks, too.

The other four bottles went down the drain.

I bought a six pack shortly after it was introduced. Blech... drank one and took the other five to the next non-beer-people party I went to.

I tried one on tap sometime after that and didn't drink it.

that's some interesting spam

if i wanted to read about diesel parts i'd go to a diesel forum...you brew beer zhu-spammer?

I can drink it if I must, but it's definitely not worth the money they're asking for it. BUT--the bottles are great--thicker and heavier then any other bottles I've reused. So now I buy it occasionally as "guest beers." (For guests who don't appreciate MY beers, of course.)

i had it right around when it first came out, and i was kind of impressed, maybe because my expectations were so low...but i had it again later on and it was back to being a hyped up mediocre beer from Bud's marketing department...maybe they started putting "beer flavor" in after the first batch

I bought a case of it for 12 bucks at my local liquor store lol...I had already had it and knew it was just average beer. I got it for the bottles, $0.50 a piece is a great deal!

The couple I've had of it so far were nothing special, but decent enough.

If the light beers have a place in the industry, than I welcome American Ale with open arms, because it is at least better than the light lager counterparts.

Not much flavor, deceivingly little body, but better than any of the BMC lagers I've had recently (which isn't many I suppose).

I like it. It's better than Fat Tire for introducing Coors/Bud Light drinkers to the world of real beer imo.

I give AB credit for the attempt, at least. They did several things right. They used customized, non-screw-on cap bottles, they used Cascade hops, they gave it a nice color, they tried. Maybe it's expecting too much that it be really good. Maybe it's like a dog playing the piano - you don't criticize it for missing a few notes, you're amazed that it can happen at all.

It's hard to imagine that they could drink any of the thousands of really fine micro and craft beers available in the US these days and then sell this, though. I give them credit for trying, not for succeeding.

A friend and I gave this beer a shot right when it first came out. I was excited that Bud was at least attempting to make an ale and put their own name on it.

We tasted it and looked up from the glass. "It's a beer", my friend said after a shrug. I agreed and we moved on. Nothing special, but nothing especially wrong with it either. I've had homebrews that have compared.

Back