LD Carlson vs. Knox gelatin for fining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyjacobs

Reaction score
Just thought I'd pass along the word....for a few batches I've been clearing with LD Carlson gelatin from my LHBS in the keg in the fridge. It worked OK, but not "great".

I bought a pack of Knox gelatin packets recently to try out....and they worked FAR better.

I used the same procedure to prepare the gelatin, (suspend in cool water for 30 min, bring almost to a boil, let cool, dump into keg), and about the same amount of gelatin, (1 tbsp vs. 1 knox packet), but instead of 3-4 days to clear, the Knox made my DogHaus Pale Ale crystal clear in only 1 day. Worked super great.

Maybe the LD Carlson is bovine-derived (Type B) but the Knox is swine-derived (Type A)?

Here's something from part II of Kaiser's recent pH article:
Collagen is a very effective clarifier which is used after fermentation is complete. It is the effective compound in isinglass and gelatin. Collagen is a protein that, depending on its origin and processing has an isoelectic point of ~5.5 (isinglass) [Alton], 7.0 – 9.0 (type A gelatin) or 4.7-5.4 (type B gelatin) [GMIA]. Isinglass is produced from the swim bladder of tropical fish; gelatin on the other hand is either made from pig skin and feet (type A) or bovine (cow) parts (type B).

Because of its wide availability, almost every grocery store carries it, most brewers use Knox unflavored gelatin if they need to clarify a beer. Knox gelatin is made from pork and therefore type A [Kraftfoods]. Whenever I use it I use about 3-4 g (½ packets) dissolved in 100-200 ml warm water for a 16-20 l (4-5 gal) batch of beer. The water should be sanitary and sanitary procedures need to be followed since the gelatin suspension cannot be boiled. Once the gelatin is completely dissolved, the mix is added to the beer and mixed in well. It should take only a few days for the gelatin to settle after which the clear beer can be drawn off.

If I'm understading it, Type B's isoelectric point is much closer to the pH of beer and thus has less charge...in beer. Type A's isoelectric point is much farther away from the pH of beer so it should have more charge...in beer.

EDIT: You use a whole packet? Seems like a lot but I'm just basing that on Noonan's recommendation (1/8 tsp. gelatin per gallon of beer).

I buy it (Knox or similar) at the grocery. I always use a full packet because I'm lazy and in my test batches I didn't notice a negative effect on flavor or mouthfeel.

Your link didn't work for me, but if it says "unflavored gelatin" then that's the stuff. In my local grocery store it's in the baking aisle alongside sugar, flour, etc.

Maybe the LD Carlson is bovine-derived (Type B) but the Knox is swine-derived (Type A)?

(edited out text for neatness.... --shortyjacobs)

EDIT: You use a whole packet? Seems like a lot but I'm just basing that on Noonan's recommendation (1/8 tsp. gelatin per gallon of beer).

Great info!

And yes, I used the whole packet. I did this based on, I think, either Revvy's or BM's advice in the main "gelatin finings?" thread.....others had reported good success with either a tbsp or a whole packet, (similar amounts, by my eyeball estimation....the packet may only be a tsp upon further reflection).

So, more charge on the gelatin means better ability to grab on to those cloudy particles then, right?

Hooray pig jello!

my local Albertsons has it, just stroll in and ask an employee for knox unflavored gelatin, they should take you right to it.

Great info!

And yes, I used the whole packet. I did this based on, I think, either Revvy's or BM's advice in the main "gelatin finings?" thread.....others had reported good success with either a tbsp or a whole packet, (similar amounts, by my eyeball estimation....the packet may only be a tsp upon further reflection).

So, more charge on the gelatin means better ability to grab on to those cloudy particles then, right?

Hooray pig jello!

I should note that a whole packet did nothing other than clear my beer. No "beer jello", as has been reported by some, (I didn't boil it, and I think that's the crucial bit to no beer jello)....All the sediment barfed out in about 200 mL of beer in the first pull after a day of clearing....after that it's crystal clear.

Latest posts

Back