Keg-O-Vision

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hasn't been an update in awhile because the progress at this point is really slow. It takes a long time to cut and fit all the insulation and once the first layer is on, other layers just don't look different.

We did have one issue while insulating. It's difficult to see here, but the top of the insulation is being pushed out by the great foam expanding gap filler (black can stuff). So we had to remove this piece, cut back the great foam and reinstall...b i g PAIN.

4180-3757.jpg

InsulationIssue

Here I started to install the under layment (sp?) so we can finish the box. Took a long time to get everything level and plumb, but it was definitely worth the time it took. Hopefully the finish work will come out well.

4182-3759.jpg

UnderlayStarted

I finished the under layment , flush cut it with a router and sanded it flush. The wife sprayed in some great foam between the rough in work and the finish work, so the finish height is shown. We also took the stereo down because it was getting pretty hot in the garage while it was on. Anyone know how hot these get in a car? I'm not sure what a normal operating temp was.

4181-3758.jpg

UnderlayFinished

My wife mocked up a 3 gallon corny and we dry fit all the components into the box. Looks like we can add a third tap! Just need to invest in another tower, another perlick and a distribution manifold for the CO2 (as well as the small stuff like disconnects). So I'm trying to decide if we want to spend the money now or to set it up to add another tap later.

All in all, I feel like we got a lot done the last two weeks but it doesn't seem to show...

Still looking good. How are you going to finish the outside and make it into a piece of furniture?

We haven't looked into the details yet, but the current thought is to learn how to cut glass.

Mirror the sides, with a black granite tile on top and something for the front...but who knows what will actually happen.

Have an update for the conversion, finally. I finalized the wiring and got everything tacked down.

4255-3820.jpg

FinalizedWiring

The wife's been working on the insulation like a fiend...it's a little tight for me. You can see the little black 2x4 with the figure 8 cut out of it for the mounting location of the temp sensors in white lab yeast vials, filled with freezer gel.

4254-3822.jpg

InsulationWSensors

Just today, I finalized the wood on the back that goes around the AC unit. The top piece will be removable to give easier access to the CO2 tank and manifold. It will also hopefully make it easier to finish up the insulation. Just one more layer of 1/2" and it's on to the FRP installation. The wood in the pic will eventually go black, but it's on the back so I'm not terribly worried about it right now.

4249-3668.jpg

ACInsulation

And just today, my kick a$$ wife came home with this custom built beauty (and, yes, she built it herself). As Walker said, she is clearly WAY cooler than I am.

4250-3819.jpg

DripTray

The bottom of the drip tray is machined plastic and the metal grates are actually parts harvested from the actual TV. The grates originally protected a couple of PCBs that were mounted vertically...I have no idea why but they were chrome plated. She cut them in half, machined the plastic and set them in the tray. They are removable so it can be washed if needed.

Finally a quick teaser pic. There will be 3 tap towers (I was only making measurements with the 2) because we like symmetry. Sorry for the dustiness, I kicked a little up while working. The stereo has been temporarily removed while I figure out how hot it can get and still operate safely and the back wall won't look like it does in the final product. It's all prepped for our finish material, but we still need to learn to cut glass for the mirrors that will go up. As you can see, I finished at just the right time...my vanilla porter homebrew had just been emptied.

4253-3824.jpg

The project is still looking good. If you are going to quote Douglas Adams at least give him credit for it....

Did you keep the mirror that was being used in the TV originally? It would be cool if you can mount it on the back - forgive me if you already have plans that I'm overlooking... This is an awesome project, I'm jealous!

Actually we did keep the mirror for just that purpose. We'll see if it is actually usable though, because it gets mounted a little low in a normal TV. We will definitely cut it up at the last resort for other pieces of the interior though.

This is really excellent! :)

Your wife sounds wwwwaaaaaaaayyyy cool. I prefer my own SWMBO, of course... but if she could do custom machining that'd be too sweet for words.

{subbed}

This is really excellent! :)

Your wife sounds wwwwaaaaaaaayyyy cool. I prefer my own SWMBO, of course... but if she could do custom machining that'd be too sweet for words.

{subbed}

Thanks. I'm pretty sure anyone who comes over actually prefers the company of her and they just tolerate me, but at least they're good actors.

I've finally made a little headway recently. I was stuck for a long while trying to figure out how to install the AC, make it removable and get the FRP below it. Long story short, I didn't do that but at least I'm making progress. Hopefully by the end of next weekend, I'll have the interior totally finished.

I finally have something noteworthy to update on. Amidst the craziness that is the month of July, I was able to finish up all the insulation (on the doors and inside). So the project looks almost the same as the last update, but now actually maintains temperature. Without anything inside the box (so nearly no thermal mass), I ran a cooling test this weekend. The temp probe connected to the Love controller was inside a whitelabs vial, while another temp probe was registering ambient temp. The AC brought the interior of the box down from 85*F to 39*F in the whitelabs vial in about 15 minutes. From there, the AC was running 5 minutes on, 30 minutes off to maintain temps. Once I get 2-5 gal kegs, 1-3 gal keg and the 5lb CO2 tank in, I think it should push the off cycle a little more. Hysteresis on the temp controller is set for a mere 2.5*F, which can definitely be increased as well. Ambient temp during cooling was around -1*F, so I definitely have the cooling capacity.

We also did a little testing and started some materials selection. Cutting mirrors is a major PITA, which we expected. The hard part will be making a 90* corner in the mirror. The only way I know how to do this is to drill a hole in the mirror with a diamond cutting bit, then score from the hole to the edge in 2 directions.

The top is going to be black tile of some sort. Hopefully we can find some at a habitat re-store, but no luck so far. The front may be stainless tile, which is crazy expensive but would be pretty slick.

Next on the to-do list is to get the FRP cut and installed (which I'll take pics of because that won't just look like more pink s*** going up), then mirror the back and tile the top / front. Any ideas / comments, especially on the front, would be welcome.

Sorry if I missed it if you've posted this already, but is this going in your house? That A/C is going to pull more condensation out of the box than you ever imagine..

Yeah it is going in the house...and I thought the same thing. I had a few ideas to combat the problem.
(1) Put a small pan / bucket under the drip spout and run a sump pump to a drain. Problem with this is there is no drain near where I'd like to put the kegerator, so out a window may be the only available option.

(2) Dump the pan / bucket when it's full. This would be a really tedious job, so if I went this route, I may stick some damp rid in there in the beginning.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

it would be cool if you had a remote to pull a pint. or something like that.

As for the condenstion, do the eexperiment. You have it sealed and running plug it in and let it run for 6 hours and colllect the condensate. It is in your garage which is a lot more humid than your house will be becasue the house is A/C. So this test should be worst case. Then take the condensate in the house and let it evaporate for 6 hours. There are probably better experiments but this one would give you a ballpark.

As for the mirror maybe it's time to call in the professionals. Take the mirror to a glass shop tell them what you need and let them cut it. Overall still a great project.

As for the mirror maybe it's time to call in the professionals. Take the mirror to a glass shop tell them what you need and let them cut it.

+1 on the mirror pros.

I've cut both glass and mirrors in my checkered past, and it really only takes a slight error - a change in the cutter pressure, a wiggle in the score, etc. - to trash what is sure to be a fairly expensive piece of mirror. Plus you can ginsu yourself right into the ER very easily with a pane that size. When those things let loose, they don't always just crumble top the floor. Sometimes they literally explode and blow glass shards all over the place.

I've cut that stuff before...and I'd take it to a glass shop. I wouldn't do it myself, personally.

+1 on the mirror pros.

I've cut both glass and mirrors in my checkered past, and it really only takes a slight error - a change in the cutter pressure, a wiggle in the score, etc. - to trash what is sure to be a fairly expensive piece of mirror. Plus you can ginsu yourself right into the ER very easily with a pane that size. When those things let loose, they don't always just crumble top the floor. Sometimes they literally explode and blow glass shards all over the place.

I've cut that stuff before...and I'd take it to a glass shop. I wouldn't do it myself, personally.

Yeah, I'm learning how truly difficult it is to do this...Especially when you add a couple of holes and right angles. I had enough trouble making the cut below tonight...and it's still not perfect. I did have a lot of mirror to practice on, but...I pretty much used it all for that one imperfect square. I may make one other square for the other side (and if I have enough, one more for this side) but I'll probably either go with plexi-mirror or pro cut mirror on the back wall. I really like the way it will look though.

4545-4096.jpg

SideMirror

I'm not sure if you mentioned this already because I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if you have already discussed it.

The ac unit I use in my fermentation chamber (which actually looks identical to yours) has a thermostat probe in the front where the air is drawn in that turns the unit off when the temp in the chamber gets down to like 50 something degrees. That may not be cool enough for your application. You may have to move the probe to the outside to get your temps lower than that.

Looks like your making some real progress. Awesome project by the way can't wait to see it finished! Subscribed!

I'm not sure if you mentioned this already because I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if you have already discussed it.

The ac unit I use in my fermentation chamber (which actually looks identical to yours) has a thermostat probe in the front where the air is drawn in that turns the unit off when the temp in the chamber gets down to like 50 something degrees. That may not be cool enough for your application. You may have to move the probe to the outside to get your temps lower than that.

I actually rewired the AC entirely. I directly connected the compressor to the power in (bypassed the thermostat). I plugged it into a love controller that I mounted on the back. You can see the controller in the lower right of this post. It's a black project box with the white outlet cover on top.

Well then, I guess you have it all taken care of! Sweet build!

Yup...Until I find something else I failed to take into account. I appreciate the bit of knowledge though. There are lots of pit falls and I probably wouldn't have tried this build without this forum. At this point the only thing I'd change is get an ebay temp controller instead of a Love to save some $$ but the $40 is pretty small change compared to the keg setup and stereo in this thing.

At this point the only thing I'd change is get an ebay temp controller instead of a Love to save some $$ but the $40 is pretty small change compared to the keg setup and stereo in this thing.

No crap. I bought a Love for my fermentation chamber. I needed it asap, of course, so I got it from Grainger and paid like a million dollars for it. Then about a week or so later I found out about the ebay temp. controller. Oh well!

pics of this wife who is master of tools and electronics.

no way my SWMBO would be doing any of that. she's good Gofer though... hey babe hand me that phillips screw driver.. what one...the one thats not flat oh ok...

-=Jason=-

Got quite a bit done tonight and over the past couple of weeks.

First we finished up the inside. With the FRP over everything, and PVC piping running down the tap tower holes, everything is sealed up tightly. I didn't show it but the doors are done as well.

4789-4303.jpg

InsideRight

4788-4302.jpg

InsideLeft

Next we got most of the mirroring cut and dry fit. We will get the big piece professionally done because our equipment can't handle something that large, but I'd say it came out pretty good for a DIY. It's a little hard to see some of the mirrored pieces because of the reflections, but the front view gives it a good shot I think.

4785-4299.jpg

FrontMirror

4787-4301.jpg

RightMirror

4786-4300.jpg

LeftMirror

I think we passed a large milestone on this one this weekend.

Got all the mirrors cut and hung. No professionals involved at all. About $100 in mirrors total (including all the crap we broke learning) and another $20-$30 in tools, not including a wet tile saw. I think it looks pretty good. All the spots and stuff are actually reflections from the base, which will clean up nicely.

The stereo is also installed. I just have to dress the cables in.

4882-4395.jpg

FrontMirrored

Here's a shot of the side mirrors, better showing the spots were on the shelf, not the mirror. And a shot of my helper.

4883-4396.jpg

SideMirrored

The to-do list is now short enough to even post:
(1) Install the front paneling.
(2) Install the tap towers.
(3) Dress in / finalize installation of the wiring.
(4) Install countertop.
(5) Paint touch up.
(6) Install speaker cover.
(7) Pull the first pint.
(8) Enjoy.

Sorry it's been so long since I've last posted. We were coming down the home stretch and I was so excited I barely remembered to take any pictures.

Without further ado (I've always wanted to say that), here is the finished product.

5157-4644.jpg

FinishedWOutLights

5156-4643.jpg

FinishedWLights

And just for fun, here is a build shot I thought was cool. This was when the marble was set in place with an epoxy mortar.

5158-4645.jpg

MarbleInPlace

If anyone has any good ways to take pictures of mirrored surfaces, please let me know. I'm traveling for the next 2 days but if I remember, I'll try to take some without the flash in daylight on Saturday.

Wow, that is amazing!

The night pic is even better!!

Awesome job. I'm sure it was a lot of work, but man, that's unbelievable. And totally moveable! Color me jealous. :mug:

Back