How to not look ignorant in Europe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Europe for 2 weeks; specifically Germany, Austria, and Greece. I've been out of the US several times, but not to Europe. I'm wondering some things and maybe you guys can help. Are you really supposed to wear a money belt to protect your money/passport? I've read some forums that recommend them, but the posters seem to be older paranoid people. I have been to NYC about 1000 times without being pick pocketed. I dress more functionally than fashionably, like wearing trail running sneakers and cargo shorts when sightseeing. Is dressing like this blatantly American? I'm guessing my Yankees hat isn't the best idea, right? I don't have any issues with people knowing I'm an American, I just don't want to step on any toes culturally. I definitely subscribe to the "when in Rome" attitude. I'm just not sure how they do things in Rome...

no matter what you do, people in Europe are going to assume you are just another stupid American. just the way it goes.
and those money belt things are as dumb as it gets. no reason for them. i have been all over the world, and i don't change much no matter where i am going.

I haven't been to Europe, but have a group of friends who just went. I think that the crime there isn't so upfront and physical as it is here. You probably aren't going to get a weapon pulled on you, and I doubt they would use force. I think the big thing is pick pocketing. The ultimate goal is to get your valuables without you noticing. If you were to catch them in the act, I've heard that in most cases they flee. I would say keep your wallet in your front pocket, but then again, we should always do this when in a questionable or unknown area.

no matter what you do, people in Europe are going to assume you are just another stupid American. just the way it goes.
and those money belt things are as dumb as it gets. no reason for them. i have been all over the world, and i don't change much no matter where i am going.

That was my initial feeling. I'm not going to fool anyone, so why do anything differently? I just don't want to offend anyone. Being that I'm not easily offended, I want to make sure I know what's acceptable. The money belt idea is just lame to me...

Keep your wallet and passport in your front pocket and you will be fine. I personally spent most of my time in Europe on business so the dress issue didn't make me stand out completely. Watch out for kids bumping into you in public spaces as the pickpockets like this distraction.

Having said that you will be fine. I have been to Europe dozens of times and never had a problem. Make sure to eat at good local restaurants and not touristy places, since you are going to Greece a good Tarvena with simple seafood is great. I did not know that I liked octopus until I had it grilled over real charcoal.

My favorite things about Europe were the history and food ( including beer and wine ),

For the money belt, it dpends where you are and who you are. If you're always alert and a little more worldly, you can do without the money belt. Howeer, pickpocketing is worse at Euopean tourist centers than anywhere in the US and Canada. So, if you look like a tourist, are in a crowded place, and not on guard..... you'll be a target. I'e been to europe a number of times and never had a problem, but know a lot of people that have been hit, both Europen and American travelers.
The other thing I learned, if you make an attempt to speak their language, it goes a long way to show you're trying and people will make a better effort to help you.
Also in my experience, its only im major cities that Europeans 'hate' Americans, and its usually only young people. Europeans are generally very friendly, and many will go out of their way to show you a good time.

FANNY PACK BRUTHA!!!! :D

hulk_hogan_fanny_pack.jpg

See, what you do is this... Everywhere you go, make sure you're the center of attention. They love that! Make sure that everyone comes to understand that you're an expert at everything. Oh, and don't forget to remind everyone over there how we saved their keester's in the dubya-dubya-two. :D

Dude, you will be fine. From your other posts I reckon you'll have more stress on the flight than once you get to europe!

Don't worry about your Yankees hat, a lot of people will recognise it and might well ask you about it. Some jerks might go off on americans but that'll most likely be in Germany, where there are more people who will relish the opportunity to demonstrate their command of english and talk with you.

Crime, I don't have the stats, but where you are going there won't be much. Where you going to in Germany? Some parts of the bigger cities can be a bit cheeky but nothing compared to the rougher parts of NYC. I think pickpocketing probably at its worst in Rome, Venice, Paris, probably London.

The best way to blend in is pick up some local clothing. First stop in Germany is C&A for a couple shirts and pair of slacks. Mustard color jackets were big back then when I lived there.

If you dress American with baggy pants, ball cap cockeyed, with big Air Jordans, then you will stand out.

You'll understand what I'm saying after being there one day. Then again, you'll see plenty of tourists that look like tourists.

When I go back to Europe to work, I break out my ugly German cloths. :D

The best way to blend in is pick up some local clothing. First stop in Germany is C&A for a couple shirts and pair of slacks. Mustard color jackets were big back then when I lived there.

LOL. Those mustard colored jackets, they are something else.

I dress more functionally than fashionably, like wearing trail running sneakers and cargo shorts when sightseeing. Is dressing like this blatantly American?
Yes, IMO, absolutely, and jeans aren't really a step up. When I went to England and France I wore mostly nice slacks, button down shirts, and non-athletic shoes, even when I was doing a lot of walking. I never experienced any rudeness.

If you dress American with baggy pants, ball cap cockeyed, with big Air Jordans, then you will stand out.

You'll understand what I'm saying after being there one day. Then again, you'll see plenty of tourists that look like tourists.

When I go back to Europe to work, I break out my ugly German cloths. :D

Don't forget your fashion faux-pas socks with sandals routine.

Buy some Euro-looking shoes. Anything with a buckle, zipper, or something else strangely foreign. You'll fit right in.:D
BrownWithBuckleMenShoes.jpg

I told you in your other thread. You need to dress like Phelps on the beach.

6_3_michael_phelps.jpg

Seriously, just be humble and courteous and it'll come back at you.

No, don't. Most of the time those are called "fag-bags"...

I lived in Germany for 9 years and traveled to most of the countries more than once or twice and NEVER once felt in any danger...like NYC.

Be yourself. :D

I was joking, Bill.:D

No, don't. Most of the time those are called "fag-bags"...

I lived in Germany for 9 years and traveled to most of the countries more than once or twice and NEVER once felt in any danger...like NYC.

Be yourself. :D

I have traveled many places - India, Nepal, Mexico, Central America, Europe and I lived in NY. Nothing is like American crime. I never once walked down a wrong street and felt I may be killed. If you get nervous or tired of being expected to answer political questions buy a Canadian flag and put it on your bags.

When I was in Germany a young girl (maybe 13) came up and talked with me and my friends. She knew so much about American politics it was incredible. Then I saw her tenny bopper mag and I saw it had an article on "solo sex". I then noticed all the tenny bopper mags had articles on... that stuff. Anyway I am assuming German girls are really well educated.

To actually contribute to the thread, I was over in England and Sweden for a bit and never felt the need to "not look ignorant." I think a lot of those stories are rumors, or just from complete ********.

Europeans are generally very friendly, and many will go out of their way to show you a good time.
Except in Paris.. but they are rude to everyone not just tourists.

In my experience, if you avoid flashy clothes, and as someone else said, be humble and you will be fine. Most "horror stories" I hear are from people who go over there acting arrogant and somehow superior.

I always got disgusted when I would hear sailors discussing how "stupid" another culture was without considering those customs are far older than ours, and different does not mean stupid.

Except in Paris.. but they are rude to everyone not just tourists.

I'm just back from Paris and I am sure that we could not have been treated any nicer...

In Germany I've been to Munich, Hamburg, and Dusseldorf. Going back to Hamburg next month and Dusseldorf and Cologne in December. You will love Germany. I haven't been there and not gotten a good pint!

I've toured all over Europe, on foot and motorcycle. My #1 tip is relish who you are. You're American. BE American. I wore sandals, khaki shorts, t-shirt and my well worn fedora all across NL and BE this spring. Yeah I looked like a tourist. Damn proud of it too!

You will get asked if you like Dubya. Just say he's an idiot and he'll be out of office in a few months and you'll make a European friend for life. :) Europeans may not like our politicians, but they still very much like us Yanks - even the French. Just don't be afraid to strike up a conversation and drink beer! You'll have a great time.

Just the fact that you asked the question in the first place demonstrates that you have the courtesy and common sense to avoid any negativity from the natives IMO. Have a good time! :)

Thanks guys. I will try not to wear my Yanks hat too often and I do have some eurostyle shoes to wear. I guess the people who are seen as ignorant or arrogant overseas are the same way here...

I'm going to be in Europe for 2 weeks; specifically Germany, Austria, and Greece. I've been out of the US several times, but not to Europe. I'm wondering some things and maybe you guys can help. Are you really supposed to wear a money belt to protect your money/passport? I've read some forums that recommend them, but the posters seem to be older paranoid people. I have been to NYC about 1000 times without being pick pocketed. I dress more functionally than fashionably, like wearing trail running sneakers and cargo shorts when sightseeing. Is dressing like this blatantly American? I'm guessing my Yankees hat isn't the best idea, right? I don't have any issues with people knowing I'm an American, I just don't want to step on any toes culturally. I definitely subscribe to the "when in Rome" attitude. I'm just not sure how they do things in Rome...

Dressing 'down' and wearing t-shirts, board shorts, and crocs is the worst thing to do. When I travel to international metropolitan places I ALWAYS dress business casual - maybe a golf short with a sport coat. In fact, in most places I have been to dressing well is held is high esteem and it shows you care.

At our age it is not difficult to completely blend into western Europe. It will be difficult for you if you are not familiar with the culture, but after a few days you will be fine.

If you are interested in blending in and not being treated like a tourist, here are my tips. Bring your most fashionable wardrobe. Europeans take much more pride in their appearance than we do (at least in our age bracket, yes even Germans). Especially consider your footwear, almost no one wears the American style sneakers. However, if you are self conscious about it, just pick up a pair of kicks at one of the plethora of middle-eastern owned stores (super discount knock-off products and junk, but cheap, appropriate styles mostly).

Beyond your dress, your demeanor is the biggest thing for blending in. Just go with the flow and act like the local people are acting. Don't talk overly loud, and make ridiculous gestures at tourist spots and act like an American idiot and you will not be one. Also, you will soon see what an idiot American tourist looks like because they are everywhere in Europe and will be embarrassing to you.

Get of the tourist route as often as possible. While local store owners who do not cater to tourists may not speak English or have the best manners, they will treat you like a regular person until they realize you are American (that would be when it comes time to order and you point at a random selection or another diners plate with a silly grin and can't speak the local language). This is my favorite way to travel in Europe, the little local places are always the most interesting and in my experience have the best food and entertainment. If you do find yourself in a situation where you have little to no idea what you will be eating, just eat it with a smile on your face and be gracious to your host. I found that acting this way, made everyone in Europe (yes even the Parisians) like my wife and I and treated us better than their regular clientele.

Just be excited to be there and genuinely excited about the people culture and there is no way anyone will treat you badly.

Have the time of your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s.- where are you going?

Bro, you need to relax! Your plane isn't going to crash into the ocean, and the locals aren't going to stone you to death and steal your passport if they find out you're from Jersey. Try and relax, enjoy the trip, and just let it all come to you.

Bro, you need to relax! Your plane isn't going to crash into the ocean, and the locals aren't going to stone you to death and steal your passport if they find out you're from Jersey. Try and relax, enjoy the trip, and just let it all come to you.

That's probably the best advice so far. Just relax, act natural and enjoy your trip. Its just Europe, not the moon.

At our age it is not difficult to completely blend into western Europe. It will be difficult for you if you are not familiar with the culture, but after a few days you will be fine.

If you are interested in blending in and not being treated like a tourist, here are my tips. Bring your most fashionable wardrobe. Europeans take much more pride in their appearance than we do (at least in our age bracket, yes even Germans). Especially consider your footwear, almost no one wears the American style sneakers. However, if you are self conscious about it, just pick up a pair of kicks at one of the plethora of middle-eastern owned stores (super discount knock-off products and junk, but cheap, appropriate styles mostly).

Beyond your dress, your demeanor is the biggest thing for blending in. Just go with the flow and act like the local people are acting. Don't talk overly loud, and make ridiculous gestures at tourist spots and act like an American idiot and you will not be one. Also, you will soon see what an idiot American tourist looks like because they are everywhere in Europe and will be embarrassing to you.

Get of the tourist route as often as possible. While local store owners who do not cater to tourists may not speak English or have the best manners, they will treat you like a regular person until they realize you are American (that would be when it comes time to order and you point at a random selection or another diners plate with a silly grin and can't speak the local language). This is my favorite way to travel in Europe, the little local places are always the most interesting and in my experience have the best food and entertainment. If you do find yourself in a situation where you have little to no idea what you will be eating, just eat it with a smile on your face and be gracious to your host. I found that acting this way, made everyone in Europe (yes even the Parisians) like my wife and I and treated us better than their regular clientele.

Just be excited to be there and genuinely excited about the people culture and there is no way anyone will treat you badly.

Have the time of your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s.- where are you going?

Thanks for the advice, it makes sense. We'll be staying in Santorini, Vienna, Saltzburg, Innsbruck, and Munich. My wife and I always make an effort to understand other cultures. I just wanted to hear from people who've been to Europe, like you...:mug:

Haha, thanks Jay. Maybe I should cut back on my Green Mountain intake...:D

so why do anything differently? I just don't want to offend anyone. Being that I'm not easily offended, I want to make sure I know what's acceptable.

Don't worry about what lame-o Europeans think of you. Wear your Yankees hat with pride. People who judge you because of what kind of hat you're wearing aren't worth the trouble of impressing no matter where they live.

Don't worry about what lame-o Europeans think of you. Wear your Yankees hat with pride. People who judge you because of what kind of hat you're wearing aren't worth the trouble of impressing no matter where they live.

There are definitely two types of American tourist. The type that gets treated well, and the type that get treated with the same disrespect they show to the locals.

Latest posts

Back