finished fermentation - what now ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmity

Reaction score
Hi,
my fermentation has stopped on my first ever 25L of real cider made from juice i juiced myself using an electric juicer.got a reading of 996 FG from 1050 SG . I want a still dry cider , tasted a sample and its just about right if a little too harsh but i'm guessing this we subside with maturing.

To stop any further fermentation or carbonation in the bottle i've added campden tablets to my batch to stop further fermentation and allow me to back sweeten if needed. after adding the campden tablets how long should i leave it before bottling ? I'm going to bottle/mature it in demi johns as i have a lot of these and didnt want to fork out on bottles.

any other tips ?

campden won't permanently stop fermentation by its self. It just stuns the yeast. You need to added sorbate if your sweetening to prevent fermentation from restarting in the bottle.

if i didnt back sweeten and just left it dry how long after adding the campden tablets to the cider should i leave before bottling ?

Back