Knowing what you know now .....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meter

Reaction score
What all equipment exactly would you purchase to start home brewing?

• any all glass kit and atleast a couple extra 6.5 gallon carboys
  • a longer wine theif
  • trukey fryer
  • a kettle NO SMALLER then 8 gallons (so when you decide to move to all grains you dont have to buy a new kettle)
  • 16oz bottles, a metric f***ton of them (think I am sitting on about 12 cases of 12oz atm and gonna be a huge PITA to change them out to 16oz'ers)
  • one real nice, heavy, LONG spoon
  • stock in the local hardware and/or plumbing store . . .

7 gallon stainless steel brewpot with valve assembly
immersion chiller
turkey fryer
turkey baster
better thermometer
Bigger bottles at least 22 ounce
bench capper
The Thief
an extra glass carboy or two
two rectangular rubbermaid coolers

For a Hard-Earned Thirst, Homebrew.

i think the one piece of equipment i have that i wish i always had is my 'bayou classic' propane burner...not only is it fast (i can get a boil going in about 15 minutes) it creates a CRAZY rolling boil which improves both hop utilization, and clarity, and its used outside, which obviously makes other people happy too...

i cant imagine brewing on a lowly old (or new) kitchen stove any more,how archaic!!!...although i do still mash on my kitchen stove.

I got the beginner kit from Things Beer through Michigan Brewing Co. along with 1 extract kit and yeast. This kit came with a 6.5 gal plastic primary bucket, a 6.5 gal plastic bottling bucket, a 5 gal glass carboy, caps, plastic funnel, bottle brush, bottle capper, bottle filler, 5ft siphon hose, sticker thermometer. I also went to Wal Mart and got a 5.5 gal pot to brew in.

I would start buying six packs/twelve packs/cases of beer to get 45-50 empty bottles. Trust me, this is more fun the buying empties.

Also, buy some 2 or 3 1 gal bottled water, it's easier than having to boil and sanitize the tap water.

Back