Beat to death- Solinoid vs honeywell LP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickflip_mj

Reaction score
I have read way to many post on this and cant get a straight answer..

Im going down the route of extreme automation, I do not want to have to watch my rig as I brew, (hardly) so that brings me to my question; What do I need to make it a "safe" system with pilots etc. I just purchased to banjo burners for starters.

Honeywell intermittent pilot kit. I don't have the part number handy at the moment but will post it tonight. Comes with almost everything you need.

That would be great! I want to monitor it on my computer as I work, so I don't want to worry about my rig blowing up.. I have plumbed gas before, but their have been multiple ways to do this.

Y8610U4001

Q345A1313

Both are Honeywell part numbers. You need one set per burner. Additionally, you'll need a 24v power supply or transformer and a PID controller or temp controller of some sort for each burner. Ranco, Control Products, Auber, BCS-460/462, etc.
I think this combo, while not cheap, is the safest way to control a gas system. You never have a standing flame, and the valve will only open to allow gas flow if the thermocouple on the pilot burner senses heat.
Hope this is what you're looking for...

Missed the part about remote monitoring. Sounds like this valve system and a BCS are exactly what you are looking for.
However, I must add that I would NEVER run a gas system remotely...

Y8610U4001

Q345A1313

Both are Honeywell part numbers. You need one set per burner. Additionally, you'll need a 24v power supply or transformer and a PID controller or temp controller of some sort for each burner. Ranco, Control Products, Auber, BCS-460/462, etc.
I think this combo, while not cheap, is the safest way to control a gas system. You never have a standing flame, and the valve will only open to allow gas flow if the thermocouple on the pilot burner senses heat.
Hope this is what you're looking for...

This would still require a main gas valve/controller, yes? Presumably something from Honeywell for the familiarity? Is there a current favorite?

Cheers!

What's the difference between my water heater and this running remotely?

The Honeywell kit includes a valve. You'll need some plumbing fittings and some hose/gas lines but everything else is there.

I suppose nothing is different than your water heater. Good luck!

This would still require a main gas valve/controller, yes?

Edit: That part number does include the valve.

kickflip_mj said:
What's the difference between my water heater and this running remotely?

Your water heater has the flame fully contained. A burner under a kettle has a flame that is more exposed to contact with flammable objects. Proper pilot light controls are an important safety consideration, but you still need to attend the burner as with any other open flame.

Also, your water heater won't boil over onto the floor.

My searching has died off a bit recently, but I recall part of the answer your looking for depends on if you plan to use high or low pressure gas. The Honeywell valves I recall are for low pressure. Check out what these guys did to set up something similar for high pressure:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/1-bbl-brewery-build-brutus-inspired-307647/
I believe this would get you about the same in terms of safety and can still be automated...

Back