Drinking beer with a cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce40

Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you but I love a few good brews while I'm sick. I don't take medicine at all I just let it run it's course, but I was thinking is this the best idea. Right now I fell like crap and my first though was I need a beer. Does anyone else does this and am I making this worse even if it feels like the perfect solution.....for now

Alcohol also dehydrates you. When you're sick you should make sure you stay well hydrated.

I have a friend who gave me a few Tabasco ales, great for a cold, cleans those sinuses right up. Just drink a water alternating with every beer.

I can't drink beer at all when I have a cold- since I can't taste anything I just get fizzy astringent bitterness. Awful. Those are dark days.

I can still taste it but not to it's full potential. I think it's because of the clog sinuses. If I take a big whiff I can smell some of it great aromas.

i get a cold every 5-6 years. when that happens, i drink a few beers, some water, and cover up really good to sweat it out. next morning, i'm good again

I am planning my next mead to be medicinal, specifically for this scenario. It will be a lemon and mistletoe with a tiny amount of clove. It will be 18% off dry and served in 2-3oz pours warm like a gluwein.

Gluwein sounds great! I usually make a hot toddy or two when I'm ill. 1 1/2 ounces brandy, 1/2 ounce lemon juice and 1/2 of maple syrup. I switch brandy to whiskey sometimes. Fill the rest of a coffee cup with hot water.

I'll occasionally have a beer when I'm sick, but they usually taste like straight sparge water to me and then I have to pound water to stay hydrated. I rather prefer chamomile tea (or sleepytime or some kind of mint) with jack daniels and a large dollop of honey.

I'll use the opportunity to drink away some of the beers that aren't all that great (typically leftover commercial brews). When my sinuses are clogged my sense of taste/smell is nearly non-existent.

I made a cinnamon nutmeg cider about 6 months ago. I warmed a couple bottles of it on the stove with a cinnamon stick and a clove, a bit of lemon juice and you've got yourself a healthier niquil!!

Woke up this morning feeling like a million bucks. Thanks to the beer gods, they have cured be.

I do NOT prefer to drink beer when I have a cold. It doesn't taste as good, and I generally don't feel better for it.

That said, I did enjoy a glass of my American Amber while weeding out the hops beds last night. It seemed like a shame to just sit there weeding without a glass of beer.

I did not feel any better this morning, but some sinus and allergy meds has at least relieved the pressure and snuffiness somewhat. Maybe I just didn't get enough buzz yesterday. I shold try again tonight.

Ever since I started drinking homebrew regularly, I've had fewer and shorter colds. I'm assuming it's the yeast. W/ kids in grade school, every bit of immunity helps!

31959231.jpg

Feels like a head cold starting last night. I had a glass of Scottish /70 last night and then switched to water. My nasal passages and sinuses are burny/itchy. Alcohol will only make that worse. Hitting the fluids, medicines and rest hard so I can get over it quicker.

Back