Any comments on Midwest's AG kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keqwow

Reaction score
Just eyeballing this 10 gallon AG kit from Midwest. Doesn't come with the burner, but everything else in the photo.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/10-gallon-all-grain-commercial-quality-kettle-kit.html

When one starts to price things out...$130 for 10 gal SS pot, $35 for SS spigot, $20 for step bit, $40 for false bottom etc. etc to do it yourself...seems like $400 for two SS 10 gallon pots set up with spigots and a thermometer on the one is not all that bad of a deal. Thoughts?

I think the kettles are too small. I have a 15 gallon and I never have to worry about boil overs on 5 gallon batches. I also prefer a cooler for a mash tun. I good quality cooler will hold mash temps way better than a SS kettle.

I bought my kettle on Ebay for less than $100 delivered to my door and while it is an inexpensive kettle it really does the job. I have probably 30 batches done in it and it still works and looks great.

I bought a weldless nickle plated ball valve for $17 at my lhbs. Works great! Talked my neighbor into drilling a hole in the kettle but he did make me pay $10 for the bit.

Coleman 70 quart extreme cooler. Will hold mash temps within 1 degree over an hour. I think I paid $60 for the cooler.

I bought the same nickel plated ball valve from my lhbs for $17.

I bought a stainless bulkhead for $16 and I spent about $20 on copper and fittings to make a manifold for it.

$240 bucks I have a system that allows me to easily do 10 gallon batches and brew as big a beer as I want.

I highly recommend getting a single cooler, modifying it and batch sparging. I don't see the value in trying to mash in a kettle without some more advanced pumps and technology to help maintain the temp.

1 10 gallon cooler and a few parts, and a 15 gallon kettle and your ready to make beer!

Back