Does adding baked pumpkin pie filling to the mash affect the mash pH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmf143

Reaction score
If so, in which direction? I'm adding 58 oz of baked Libby's Pumpkin Pie filling to 12 lbs of grist.

I see nobody ever answered your question... I have the same question. Does pumpkin affect the mash pH? I know I can take a pH reading while I'm mashing but I would rather be able to guesstimate a bit beforehand... Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?

Unless the added material is at the same pH as the mash without it it will effect the pH. The direction depends on whether the pumkin is at higher or lower pH than the mash (it will pull it in that direction) and the magnitude of the shift will depend on the pH of the mash and pumpkin and the buffering capacities of each. Clearly a test is the simplest way to answer this question.

Just add the pumpkin near the end of the mash and it won't make any difference. There's no need to mash pumpkin anyway since there's so little starch in it. Check out the can's label if you don't believe me.

Back