What to do with this DRY mead, ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forces

Reaction score
I recently created a dry mead; Roughly 6 gallons; OG 1.090, FG 0.990 using Wyeast "Dry Mead Yeast" and Tropical Blossom honey from the LHBS. Obviously, based on my yeast choice, I was looking for something dry..... Originally, my plan was to do an orange/ cinnamon mead using about 1 cin stick and 1.5 oranges (zest and juice, no pith) per gallon.

The more I read about JAOM and Malcore (SP?) orange mead, it seems that people think that these ingredients are best used in a sweet mead.

One gallon of what I have made is being separated from the bulk.... I am infusing THAT with a bunch of chamomile and lavender, an perhaps back sweeten.

I am about to transfer to secondary, and am looking for ideas for a very dry mead. I should mention that fresh berries (in the quantities needed) would be much too expensive for me, even in season. So things like raspberry and blackberry are off the table.

Ofcourse, I could always back sweeten the bulk, but I'd prefer not to. I have about 6 vanilla beans on hand, and a ton of assorted spices, so I'm leaning toward a metheglin. I also have some acid blend and tannin, but no way of performing a proper titration.

You will find that most of the non-savoury flavours that you enjoy are sweet ones, whether they be fruit or spice based.

Hence while you need to focus on ingredient cost some, its probably worth back sweetening, at least some, then you'd better placed when you do decide the way ahead. Besides, dry meads are an acquired taste, mainly because of the mental association with honey and sweetness - whereas the variation in wine style from dry to sweet is already there in the consciousness (the amount of time we've been drinking wines etc, has sorted that, while mead became unfashionable for mainly reasons of speed and hygiene of water).

Back