Stick-on thermometer on outside of FV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jump_xiii

Reaction score
WHen using a stick-on thermometer, what temp is it actually telling you?

I've someone suggests fermentation at 65• and that thermometer says 65• is that right? Or do we want the temp of the room to be 65• or the temp INSIDE the FV TO BE 65•

Confused...

The stick on thermometer is within a degree or two of the beer in the vessel. When we talk about fermentation temps, we are talking about the temperature of the beer itself and not the environment it's in.

The stick on thermometer is giving you the reading of the actual fermentation temp and not the ambient temp of your room.

So the recommended temps on instructions are for the temp of the brew itself, not the ambient temp too then.

In that case I need to let mine cool a little as its at 72 right now

Thanks

The beer ACTUALLY is warmer in the middle of the vessel. The key here is not the temp but how steady you can make it. If you want 64 and the therm says 64 that is fine but during every active fermentation it's warmer in the middle. BUY - keeping the temp as steady as possible is the key.

WITH THAT SAID - temp control is just one more thing that while it only plays a small role and is not critical in making good beer. It IS critical for making GREAT beer. But in making GREAT beer there are probably 50 more tiny seemingly insignificant tweaks to make.

I use my thermal leak detector light to measure temps. It seems to work pretty good and is a very handy tool to use. I can get readings in all the nooks and crannies instantly. I compare the temps to the house thermostat a few feet away from the primary. The stick on thermometer would be no good to me because my bucket and carboys will be in a trash can during primaries.

Latest posts

Back