YADIY Stir Plate Thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flomaster

Reaction score
so after reading the other 200 page DIY thread about using an old computer fan, hard drive magnets, radio shack potentiometer and a random power supply I attempted to build my own. after many a failed attempts and finally getting a working combination using a 18V JBL power supply I found it was spinning to fast for my liking even on the slowest setting.

I saw another thread about this usb fan on amazon.com and said WTF might as well try it out. well let me tell you this works fantastic and is super easy to put together.

http://youtu.be/f9Oij-NCWds

here is a link >>>>>>CLICK HERE<<<<<< to my fan its an 80mm fan I didn't think I needed to spend the extra coin on the 120mm fan.

-=Jason=-

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it a lot. So much so, that I just ordered the fan. Where did you source the magnets?

magnets came from ace hardware they were some thing like $3.99 for a six pack, I am using all six.

ahh here is one of my other posts on these

11300001.jpg

I scored these magnets from ACE Hardware for $4.50 for six
Item number F they are Super Magnet Discs - .472" dia. x .118" thk.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EFV75E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

-=Jason=-

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a washed 1056 starter that took several hours to start, 36 hours later and it looks like this.

also I have been thinking about trying to find a stronger, longer magnet so I can use my 2" bar.

not sure which one from this website I need.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX844 not sure how its magnetized though.
here is how its magnetized
block6.000000.png

-=Jason=-

379911_320126451336398_100000171382742_1609720_1787174358_n.jpg

Thanks for the post! Have you gotten a 2" stir bar working with that fan yet in your 2L flask? Would it help to buy the 120mm Thermaltake USB fan to drive a larger stir bar, or do you think your smaller 80mm fan is enough?

I thought one benefit of a stir plate is that it keeps the starter aerated with the vortex to maximize yeast reproduction. Don't you want it to keep pulling a little air in?

Hello,
I used this thread to make my DIY stir plate.
I bought the fan and magnets listed by the flowmaster.
Worked Great.
Thanks for posting this how to !!!

Tips for the next guy -
Mount the magnets on the washer first..... a little super glue and the magnets will be TIGHT to the washer, so measure/mark the spot and drop it on... just need to glue the first one and put the next 2 on top of the first.
Make sure you have half of the magnets North pole up and the others south pole up so the stir bar will stick good to the fan magnets.

Run the fan in the enclosure and while the fan is running...use a sharpie to mark a circle, about 3/4" in Dia. This will help you find dead center of the fan and assist you in glueing the magnet to the center of the fan.
I believe I used a 3/4" washer that measured about 1.5" outside Dia.

I am using 1.5" stir bar I found on Amazon when I bought the fan and magnets.

An old Corny keg lid O ring makes a good spacer to keep the flask/jar off the magnets (if the magnets stick up above the wood like mine did) and keeps things from rattling around. (not shown in my pics)

6941369776_80b0d29a3a_c.jpg

7087436151_db453c8e59_c.jpg

thanks again to FlowMaster -

Kevin

I dont believe the fan hub is wide enough...dont remember ... but that is what flomaster used so I did it to.... but if you can get the magnets wide enough to match your stir bar, I guess that would work fine.

thanks Kevin

One advantage to using a washer requires using a ferrous washer. That's not having to use glue for the magnets. They hold themselves on the washer. That way, if you happen to put them both on there the same way, you just have to flip one over. You know, since the magnets should be opposite poles up. Or maybe you decide to use a bigger or smaller stir bar, just move the magnets.

One advantage to using a washer requires using a ferrous washer. That's not having to use glue for the magnets. They hold themselves on the washer. That way, if you happen to put them both on there the same way, you just have to flip one over. You know, since the magnets should be opposite poles up. Or maybe you decide to use a bigger or smaller stir bar, just move the magnets.

Just thought I mention this, but I initially thought the strength of the magnet would keep it in place on the washer as well. On my second starter the magnet had begun to creep ever so slightly eventually getting far enough out of alignment that the stir bar kept getting thrown. After I got everything re-aligned a little hot glue has kept everything in place since.

Just thought I mention this, but I initially thought the strength of the magnet would keep it in place on the washer as well. On my second starter the magnet had begun to creep ever so slightly eventually getting far enough out of alignment that the stir bar kept getting thrown. After I got everything re-aligned a little hot glue has kept everything in place since.

Yep - been there... done that !

I thought one benefit of a stir plate is that it keeps the starter aerated with the vortex to maximize yeast reproduction. Don't you want it to keep pulling a little air in?

You are correct. A vortex is not necessary, however it is beneficial as it constantly pulls fresh O2 in and keeps the wort aerated.

Just built one of these with the same fan.No soldering. Speed controller already built in. Use a box I already had. Easy as pie. Cost total about $25 bucks.

Just ordered the fan. So happy you posted this. I hate working on electronics. This is much easier.

The 80mm fan seems too powerful. It's pulling a monster vortex on the lowest setting in a 3L flask. Wish I could dial down the power a little.

The 80mm fan seems too powerful. It's pulling a monster vortex on the lowest setting in a 3L flask. Wish I could dial down the power a little.

im not an electrician but as its dc voltage you should be able to under power it a bit (if using a 12v power supply snag a 6 or 8v cellphone supply). I think I have heard its ok to do with DC voltage but can have neg effects on AC voltage. Just a thought..

Neil

Latest posts

Back