Newbie Pot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spuddybuddy

Reaction score
Im going to be getting into homebrewing pretty soon and I was looking for a brewpot, and I found one at Target and I just wanted to know if it would be acceptable for brewing. Here were the specifications on it.

8qt 18/10 .6mm

Im not sure if its big or thick enough, but it was only 20$ so it would save a bit of money. If anyone has any other suggestions please tell me. Thank you.

Looks good for partial boil extract brewing (5 gallon batches). You'll probably want a bigger one for full boils at some point, but that one sounds like a winner to get you started, especially for the price.

Ok thank you very much. I just needed something acceptable to get started, the move on to more advanced equipment.

spuddybuddy said:
Im going to be getting into homebrewing pretty soon and I was looking for a brewpot, and I found one at Target and I just wanted to know if it would be acceptable for brewing. Here were the specifications on it.

8qt 18/10 .6mm

Im not sure if its big or thick enough, but it was only 20$ so it would save a bit of money. If anyone has any other suggestions please tell me. Thank you.
8 quarts?

That's two gallons.

That's too small.

To do 2 1/2 - 3 gallon partial boils, I'd get a 16 quart pot.

BierMuncher said:
8 quarts?

That's two gallons.
You can certainly brew a 5 gallon batch in a 2 gallon pot, here's how (a version of "late extract addition"):

Add about 1/4 of the recipe's extract to the pot and run your boil/hops schedule, corrected for 1-1/2 gallons and low gravity. Put that into the fermenter. Add the rest of your extract and another 1-1/2 gallons of water to the pot, bring to a boil, and turn the heat off as soon as the foam subsides. Add that to the fermenter along with 2 gallons of cold top off water. Aerate well, cool to pitching temp, and pitch the yeast.

spuddybuddy said:

8qt 18/10 .6mm

I think you need something bigger even to do partial boils. I think you want to be able to fit 3 gal in the pot with room for boil up. I think 16-20qt pots are the best size for stove top boils. Luckily this is also the size for canning. You should be able to find ceramic coated canners for not much more and stainless steel canners for under $50. The SS canners are kind of light weight but they work well enough if you stir your extract in well with the heat off.
Craig

Yuri_Rage said:
You can certainly brew a 5 gallon batch in a 2 gallon pot..
I agree.

I just figured that if the pot hadn't been purchased yet, why not spend a little more and get the evening brew routine down to one boil.

I mean if your back is up against the wall...you could brew with a one quart sauce pan... :p

BierMuncher said:
I just figured that if the pot hadn't been purchased yet, why not spend a little more and get the evening brew routine down to one boil.
Actually, I probably should've suggested a bit larger pot in the first place. But for $20, that 2 gal pot is a pretty good deal.

Is there a BigLots near you? I found a 20qt(5gal) stainless steel for $9. Had a bunch of lids laying nearby so im assumung one fit. Thats right I said $9, nine, thats a mere 9 dollar menu cheeseburgers... 9 sodas from a soda machine.... a SINGLE movie ticket.... I mean really..how much would you pay to make every woman ever born more attractive?? 9 dollars thats how much.

Ok I know im REALLY bored. But in all seriousness I would go for a stainless pot 5 gal for cheap or take the plunge and go for something that can do full boils >8 gallons. Either way stainless is the way to go.

Back