Jungle Love Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyHighBrew88

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
13 grams
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
24 days @ 69F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Light to medium body. Moderate bitterness, kind of a cross between an APA and an IPA.
This is my final version of JLPA. I wanted this to be citrusy with a strong tropical aroma at the nose. The Amarillo and Citra blend really blend well together and make a really tasty ale. The recipe is a cheap and simple one. The efficiency of this particular batch ended up high at 91% but I am actually quite pleased with the final result. You'll want to adjust for your particular system's efficiency.

Grains
9lbs Rahr Pale 2-row malt
2lbs Vienna malt
0.75lbs Crystal 40L
0.50lbs Carapils

Hop Schedule
1.0oz Amarillo 7.2%AA (First Wort Hop)
--------------------------------------
0.3oz Amarillo 7.2%AA (60min)
1.0oz Citra 12.3%AA (20min)
1.0oz Citra 12.3%AA (1min)

Yeast
Safale US-05

Mash
60 minute mash @ 154 degrees F
1 tbsp 5.2 ph Stabilizer in mash
Double Sparge

jlpa2.jpg

Sounds delicious. I am about two batches away from brewing one with Citra hops, and I am really looking forward to trying them out. Glad to hear they go well with Amarillo too...that is currently my favorite hop to use for American hoppy beers. How is the bitterness/balance on it? Seems like it would be low, but I am still new to FWHs so I'm not sure how to judge it.

Brewsmith says 48 IBUs and Brewpal on my iPhone is showing 38IBUs. The difference is in how each program calculates FWH IBUs. Also, Brewpal seems to round up when compared to each addition with Brewsmith. Both are set on using the tinseth formula. As far bitterness, I'd say it isn't any more bitter than say a Sierra Nevada pale ale.

Looks good! Citra and amarillo are awesome hops maybe throw in some chinook & it'd be even better or IPA version.

The next one I make, i've made 3 so far, I'm probably going to bump the 1min addition to 2oz citra and 2oz Amarillo and whirlpool for 10min.

Funny you mention IPA, it was originally going to be a pale ale but I can't change the thread title to IPA. It definitely falls more into the standard IPA category.

I keep thinking about dry hopping this but the clarity and color really make it nice. Plus i'm getting plenty of aroma from the late additions.

Keep us posted how it turns out. Just did dagger falls IPA.. Lots of Simcoe. So I might try a amarillo citra Simcoe chinook IPA. Next time.

Back