need help cloning a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 1272 is going to be too tart (for my tastes). I was considering 1056 or 1332 (which I haven't used yet). Was wondering if there was any info actually from G.I.?

Toastman said:
I think 1272 is going to be too tart (for my tastes). I was considering 1056 or 1332 (which I haven't used yet). Was wondering if there was any info actually from G.I.?

I think GI uses a private strain they've cultivated.

I emailed Goose Island; they confirmed a few things:

• 100% Briess Pale Ale Malt (NOT 2-row, there is a difference Briess Malt & Ingredients Co.: Base Malts) ...and no biscuit/carapils
  • Bittering w/Liberty at 30mins
  • Amarillo armoa addition right before knockout

So, based on their input and the recipes above, they said the recipe below should be a "reasonable facsimilie of Greenline"

10.5# Briess Pale Ale Malt
0.5oz Liberty (30min, 6 IBU)
0.5oz Simcoe (15min, 12 IBU)
0.5oz Columbus (10min, 9 IBU)
1.0oz Amarillo (0min, 1 IBU)
5.0% ABV w/75% effciency & attenuation
~30 IBU

I hope to brew it in the next few weeks and will let you know if its any good.

Cheers.

Was this for a 5 gal. recipe?

Update about Bolingbrook Brew & Grow: I think not going on inventory day made a huge difference. Been back a couple times now and have been very happy.
Yeah, Bob is a good guy to work with, the other guy....the manager, he's OK. Anyway, I gotta give this recipe a try as I really like this beer. They should bottle it and give Sierra Nevada a run for their money. I'll report back in 6 weeks or so.

tuskenraider said:
Yeah, Bob is a good guy to work with, the other guy....the manager, he's OK. Anyway, I gotta give this recipe a try as I really like this beer. They should bottle it and give Sierra Nevada a run for their money. I'll report back in 6 weeks or so.

Posted a picture and initial taste in the thread I linked a few posts up. Pretty good!

I brewed this exact recipie at the end of December and as of this weekend I would say that this is about as close as you can get. The minute I added the last hops addition that green line smell was evident, and the first one off of the tap didn't disappoint. The only difference in mine from the receipie above is that I used Rahr Pale Ale Malt but i dont think it made a difference. If you love green line I would go forward with this one in a minute. I will try to post a picture when I get a chance.

I'm brewing this tomorrow. Went with the Rahr Pale Ale Malt - Brew & Grow told me that they are very similar malts anyway.

Boiling 7.2 gallons for 60 minutes to yield a 5.5 gallon batch. What size batches have others brewed with 10.5# of malt?

10.5# Rahr Pale Ale Malt
0.5oz Liberty (30min, 6 IBU)
0.5oz Simcoe (15min, 12 IBU)
0.5oz Columbus (10min, 9 IBU)
1.0oz Amarillo (0min, 1 IBU)
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
5.0% ABV w/75% effciency & attenuation
~30 IBU

Looks great.

They say they don't dryhop this thing, but I never great great aroma from my knockout/whirlpool additions.
I'm contemplating moving half an ounce of the 0min Amarillo to dry hop for next time.

Really wanted to make this my next brew but can't find amarillo anywhere. I guess I'll have to wait until fall harvest starts trickling in

Back