Recipe conversion from all grain to partial question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celts

Reaction score
I recently found this Uerige Altbeir clone recipe on Zymurgy.
for 42Liters (around 11 US gallons) assuming 90% effeciancy

6.72 kg Weyermann Bohemian Pils malt (slightly undermodified)
170 grams Weyermann CaraMunich II
170 grams Weyermann Carafa III
mash schedule: direct heat step mash
infuse at 1:4 ratio to 45C and immidiatly heat to 52C for protein rest. Hold for five minutes.
Heat to 64 and rest for 30 minutes beta rest.
Heat to 72 and rest for 15 minutes. Check iodine before continuing.
Heat to 78 for mash out.

Boil for only 60 minutes with slow boil.
80 grams Hallertau Perle 8.25% at 50 min
20 grams Spalter Spalt 4.75% at 10 min
20 grams Spalter Spalt dry hop in secondary for three weeks at 4C.

http://daveybrewing.blogspot.com/2009/04/uerige-alt-homebrew-recipe.html

I have 2 questions regarding the conversion of hte 6.72kg of Weyermann Bohemian Pils malt: 1) What do you recommend that I use as an extract? Amber Extract? I don't know enough. 2) Since the brewer is assuming 90% effeciancy, do I need to adjust my correction factor of 0.6 for dry, or 0.75 for liquid? I don't know much about all-grain and 90% seems to be an exceptionally good sugar extraction. Let me know if I'm at all on base. How big of a difference will there be between the grains? I recently tried one of these tasty beers and loved it and want to make something similar.

yea, if your using a brewing program like beersmith or promash you can hit your efficiency lock button and it will adjust the amount of each grain in the recipe based on % of each malt as used in the recipe for your new eff.

Dont they make Pils extract?

At 90% eff, with your recipe, I get a OG of 1.046:
Amount Item Type % or IBU
14 lbs 13.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 95.18 %
6.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 2.41 %
6.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2.41 %

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG

Converting to LME, I get:
14 lbs Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 94.92 %
6.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 2.54 %
6.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2.54 %

Beer Profile

Converting to DME, I get:
11 lbs 8.0 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 93.88 %
6.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 3.06 %
6.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.06 %

Beer Profile

Sorry, don't know how to do the math, but I know how to use Beersmith! Hope this helps.

If you need to convert back to metric, use google. www.google.com , type in, (for example) "6 oz in grams" or "11 lb + 8 oz in grams"

Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate it. Regarding the pils malt, I don't know if they do or not. I don't remember seeing it at my LHBS, so I figured I'd ask.

Okay, too much beer in my belly/head to figure out all the math. It was my understanding that there would be NO math!

However, I would look for a pilsner extract or a light/pale extract to substitute for a portion of the pilsner malt. I don't think amber would be the right choice. Then again, the first partial mash I ever did is still about two weeks out!!

Back