Yeast raised waffles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastAndy

Reaction score
By far the finest waffle known to man.

1 package of active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 tablespoons table sugar
mix above ingredients in measuring cup to proof yeast.

1-3/4 cup milk scalded then cooled
2 teaspoons salt
3 eggs
1/4 cup butter softened
2 cups of all purpose flour

proof yeast then add to other ingredients and beat until smooth.

Cover and let it rise for 1.5 hours in warm place.

stir down the batter, cover again and let rest in fridge overnight. (8-12 hours)

Make waffles. If you can't handle this part without direction, disregard above list and buy some Eggos until you step up your waffle game.

If you're feeling crazy, add a couple strip of cooked bacon to the batter once its poured into the iron and let bacon amazingess bake into the waffle.

I suggest pairing with a nice cup of fresh coffee and Baileys, or perhaps a proper breakfast stout such as my Maple Brown Porter.

Cheers!:mug:

I need a waffle maker... It's one of those things that's been hard to justify getting. This sounds delicious though. I wonder how it would work as pancakes

My SWMBO laughed when she saw that the waffle maker is hard to justify. She seems to think that as homebrewers we have tons of gear that would be way harder to justify than a $20 waffle maker. But seriously i think this would make some badass pancakes too. I sometimes add a cap ful of vanilla, if i was to try this in a pancake i think some fresh berries of some sort would be amazing in addition. Let me know how they turn out.

FastAndy said:
My SWMBO laughed when she saw that the waffle maker is hard to justify. She seems to think that as homebrewers we have tons of gear that would be way harder to justify than a $20 waffle maker. But seriously i think this would make some badass pancakes too. I sometimes add a cap ful of vanilla, if i was to try this in a pan cake i think some fresh berries of some sort would be amazing in addition. Let me know hoe they turn out.

Lol!! Good point! My brew gear all gets used twice a month though, and a waffle maker may only come out a few times a year

I bought a waffle maker. Wife MADE me! I just buy the instant pancake and waffle stuff and make it easy on myself. Tastes pretty good with syrup and goodies on top. I just don't eat that much of that kind of stuff anymore though.

I wonder what I wort reduction syrup would taste like on top??

I've perfected pancakes (cooks illustrated buttermilk recipe ftw), but I have completely failed at making non-box mix waffles. Most of the time they turn out with the same taste and consistency of cheap ice cream cones.

I'll give this recipe a try. I only have a Belgium waffle iron but I would assume it wouldn't make much difference?

I wonder what wort reduction syrup would taste like on top??

Been there, done that. Wasn't impressed at all, tasted like a loaf of multigrain bread that was made into a sweet candy. However, invert syrup is pretty tasty on pancakes. Or do the like the Brits and eat your pancakes/waffles with granulated sugar and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. :D

What's the difference between a Belgian waffle maker and a non Belgian waffle maker? Either way this recipe is geographically neutral.

Lol!! Good point! My brew gear all gets used twice a month though, and a waffle maker may only come out a few times a year

I pulled the trigger on a Waring commercial style waffle maker and I say it is a must in my family now. It is one of those flip style large ones that takes up serious space. but the golden brown crisp restaurant quality waffle was so worth the $50. We make waffles at least twice a month and my Daughter and Wife love them. I have tried the above recipe and love the yeast risen styles. Pick up some Belgian Pearl sugar and I feel like I am back in Germany all over again.

Homercidal said:
I bought a waffle maker. Wife MADE me! I just buy the instant pancake and waffle stuff and make it easy on myself. Tastes pretty good with syrup and goodies on top. I just don't eat that much of that kind of stuff anymore though.

I wonder what I wort reduction syrup would taste like on top??

Do you have a recipe for his wort reduction syrup?

bierhaus15 said:
Or do the like the Brits and eat your pancakes/waffles with granulated sugar and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. :D
I make Dutch babies and top them that way, only we use powdered sugar. Powdered sugar, some butter, and a fresh squeeze of lemon.
RoughandReadyRanch said:
I pulled the trigger on a Waring commercial style waffle maker and I say it is a must in my family now. It is one of those flip style large ones that takes up serious space. but the golden brown crisp restaurant quality waffle was so worth the $50. We make waffles at least twice a month and my Daughter and Wife love them. I have tried the above recipe and love the yeast risen styles. Pick up some Belgian Pearl sugar and I feel like I am back in Germany all over again.

When the boys get a little older I can definitely see something like that in our kitchen. They'll all be over 6 feet tall by 15 so they better all learn how to run that thing. I'll buy em a sack of flour.

I make Dutch babies and top them that way, only we use powdered sugar. Powdered sugar, some butter, and a fresh squeeze of lemon.

When the boys get a little older I can definitely see something like that in our kitchen. They'll all be over 6 feet tall by 15 so they better all learn how to run that thing. I'll buy em a sack of flour.

Thats why I had the girl, she is almost three and runs it herself! Only wish I could get her mom to run it....... We are still working on the basics with mom though. Least she lets me brew. Next time you are at Costco just keep an eye open for the waring double waffle maker. Seriously a solid investment on Sunday breakfast. It is not Sunday but Wednesday Waffle day is sounding really good right now. Gotta get my yeast ready tomorrow night I think!

As much as I like waffles, I will never own another Waring product. I had a Waring Pro waffle maker (like what you see in a continental breakfast buffet at a hotel) that died before 1 year was up. Waring replaced it with one that died 4 months later, and then they replaced that one with another of short life. The problem is the last one they sent still technically works, it just doesn't heat up to the same temps and takes about 3x as long as it should to heat. It also takes up a ton of space...so I steer clear.

As much as I like waffles, I will never own another Waring product. I had a Waring Pro waffle maker (like what you see in a continental breakfast buffet at a hotel) that died before 1 year was up. Waring replaced it with one that died 4 months later, and then they replaced that one with another of short life. The problem is the last one they sent still technically works, it just doesn't heat up to the same temps and takes about 3x as long as it should to heat. It also takes up a ton of space...so I steer clear.

Going on 2 years for mine. Works like the day I brought it home. I would buy a true waffle maker but the wife wont let me drop the $500 on a solid unit. The plastic had me worried but I guess I got a good one. I should fire it up this weekend to make sure I am not jinxed now.

Sort of :off: but sort of not.
One day last week I made the waffles with the recipe in this thread. They turned out great! But I only told you that to tell you this. I had a little batter left over, so I used it to raise a batch of sicilian pizza dough, which also turned out great!

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

One day last week I made the waffles with the recipe in this thread. They turned out great! But I only told you that to tell you this. I had a little batter left over, so I used it to raise a batch of sicilian pizza dough, which also turned out great!

I know what I am cooking this weekend! Break out the stretchy pants!!!!!!!!!!!

Hold on, time out. From your avatar, it looks like you have a wood fired bread oven? And I assume you made this pizza in that? Just how are we supposed to do compete with that... no matter how great my dough turns out, my pathetic oven cant make something nearly as good as looking what comes out of that!

Seriously, pizza looks freaking a-mazing! Very jealous. :D

Well sure, I have a wood-fired pizza oven. You mean, you don't? Really? Just kidding.:D I know, I'm lucky. But I built it 100% by myself, so is it really luck?
Anyway, no. These pies were baked in my ordinary everyday electric kitchen oven. It's not a competition. Anybody can do this. After all; it's only pizza; how hard can it be?:D

AAGGHHH! You're killing me!
Hold on, time out. From your avatar, it looks like you have a wood fired bread oven? And I assume you made this pizza in that? Just how are we supposed to do compete with that... no matter how great my dough turns out, my pathetic oven cant make something nearly as good as looking what comes out of that!

Seriously, pizza looks freaking a-mazing! Very jealous. :D
Someday, I may make my own. Someday.

And you know darn well that an indoor oven is no way gonna make that pizza.

SharonaZamboni said:
AAGGHHH! You're killing me!

Someday, I may make my own. Someday.

And you know darn well that an indoor oven is no way gonna make that pizza.

Nah, you can make some pretty darn good pizza indoors, on a stone, under the broiler

image-2469289252.jpg

RoughandReadyRanch said:
I set my oven to 550'F and let the stone heat for an hour. You set the broiler? Wont that cause the temp fluctuation causing the stone to crack?

I preheat to 550, cold stone in a cold oven with the rack one down from the top. Then when it's time to start slinging pies I put on the broiler(gas) and start moving them through. It takes about 6 minutes for one 10" pizza to cook. One of my favorite things to do is crack an egg on the pizza 2 minutes before its done. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

I preheat to 550, cold stone in a cold oven with the rack one down from the top. Then when it's time to start slinging pies I put on the broiler(gas) and start moving them through. It takes about 6 minutes for one 10" pizza to cook. One of my favorite things to do is crack an egg on the pizza 2 minutes before its done. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

No knockin here. Sounds tasty. I am running on electric though but I guess it would work the same. The element is at the top so it would be pretty direct on the stone. Going to build the cob oven outside next March. That is the dream.

RoughandReadyRanch said:
No knockin here. Sounds tasty. I am running on electric though but I guess it would work the same. The element is at the top so it would be pretty direct on the stone. Going to build the cob oven outside next March. That is the dream.

I think electric ovens are better.. It's just the stove that was in the house we bought 2 years ago, going to do a few things before replacing. I want to do a pizza oven build as well. Funny, my friend and I were just taking about that today. He was thinking about making an oven and pouring concrete around a beach ball to get the dome :D I told him he should look on the web for some plans first. Cob you say? This is the egg pizza.. Gosh I want some now.

image-2332461673.jpg

I think electric ovens are better.. It's just the stove that was in the house we bought 2 years ago, going to do a few things before replacing. I want to do a pizza oven build as well. Funny, my friend and I were just taking about that today. He was thinking about making an oven and pouring concrete around a beach ball to get the dome :D I told him he should look on the web for some plans first. Cob you say? This is the egg pizza.. Gosh I want some now.

Basically a hippy oven. Buy firebrick for the base or just use the cob if you are really poor. Basically clay/sand/straw mixture like adobe. You lay your base. Build a sand dome lined with newspaper(the paper is so you don't dig out the cob on accident really. First layer is straight sand and clay mix. Second Layer is insulation with straw sad and clay mixed. Final layer is just sand and clay again. You need a big tarp and a fun day of stomping in clay then you form the bricks and make a dome. It dries and you have a bread/pizza oven for under $100 instead of over $3K. Just google cob oven. It is my dream on a budget until I can afford a Fornobravo or something of that sort.

Side question, did you get your waffle iron at Sears?

Yup I think so at least. The first one was a gift. After that returns / exhanges were through Waring and Sears both.

Interesting. We have that same waffle iron. We almost bought it at Sears but then I checked the reviews. It was really odd. Same model everywhere but the ones from Sears got the WORST reviews. Premature failure from melting an electrical component. Yet the same model at Macy's and on Amazon got 4.5 stars. It's almost like Sears was getting the crappy ones intentionally. I have stopped shopping there after a couple of lawn tools failed prematurely. Just not what they used to be...

Ok, here you go. If you are using the pancake batter as a starter, this recipe is for 1 10x14 pie, and should bake in a steel pan, not aluminum, about 475 for maybe 10 minutes.
Bread Flour 310 grams
Water (68%) 200 g
Salt (2%) 6.75g or +/- 1.5 t-spn
Batter (10%) 60 g

If you just want to make the pizza without the waffle batter, then increase the flour to335 g, the water to 230g, include 1 t-spn sugar and a half a t-spn active dry yeast.
Mix with a fork until it looks a bit like cottage cheese. It will be rather wet and you won't really be able to knead it. Let rise at room temp for 5-6 hrs. before baking, during which time do a series of stretch and folds, which is just picking up one side of the dough and pulling it over onto itself. All four sides is one s&f. Wet your hands first so it doesn't stick to your fingers. Once risen, just oil your pan, flour your dough and put it in the pan, cover and let rise again about an hr. then bake.

Interesting. We have that same waffle iron. We almost bought it at Sears but then I checked the reviews. It was really odd. Same model everywhere but the ones from Sears got the WORST reviews. Premature failure from melting an electrical component. Yet the same model at Macy's and on Amazon got 4.5 stars. It's almost like Sears was getting the crappy ones intentionally. I have stopped shopping there after a couple of lawn tools failed prematurely. Just not what they used to be...

Got mine from amazon and I just made waffles on it Saturday. almost 2 years going strong. I did see a lot of reviews on amazon about faulty fuses and having to make repairs but I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

Ok, here you go. If you are using the pancake batter as a starter, this recipe is for 1 10x14 pie, and should bake in a steel pan, not aluminum, about 475 for maybe 10 minutes.
Bread Flour 310 grams
Water (68%) 200 g
Salt (2%) 6.75g or +/- 1.5 t-spn
Batter (10%) 60 g

If you just want to make the pizza without the waffle batter, then increase the flour to335 g, the water to 230g, include 1 t-spn sugar and a half a t-spn active dry yeast.
Mix with a fork until it looks a bit like cottage cheese. It will be rather wet and you won't really be able to knead it. Let rise at room temp for 5-6 hrs. before baking, during which time do a series of stretch and folds, which is just picking up one side of the dough and pulling it over onto itself. All four sides is one s&f. Wet your hands first so it doesn't stick to your fingers. Once risen, just oil your pan, flour your dough and put it in the pan, cover and let rise again about an hr. then bake.

Assuming an easy weekend, I am making this Friday. Also need the temp to drop a bit but that is why they made AC I guess. Thanks for the recipe.

Latest posts

Back