Sam Adams Vinegar Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kriznac

Reaction score
I recently bought a mix pack of Sam Adams from Costco and there was a very noticeable cider vinegar flavor at the finish of the cream stout, old fezziwig, and winter ales. Is this intentional or did I get some foul beer? I don't drink much Sam Adams so I cant say for sure but it does seem odd.

i have noticed this but only in the cream stout. I drink Sam fairly often and I have noticed it in a few bottles of the cream stout.

Are you sure it's vinegar? If it's all of the styles in the case, it was probably bad handeling causing some oxidation and stale flavors. If it's actually vinegar, you may want to contact the Boston Brewing Co. about it because a lactobacillius or some other acetobacter infection can't be a good thing on a commercial line.

My beer palette isn't developed enough for me to say for sure it is vinegar but, I do a lot of BBQ'in and use cider vinegar quite often and that is exactly what this flavor reminds me of.

Back