scottish ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummasan

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a scottish ale next - the 'Traiq Air Owl Wee Heavy' or 'If It's Not Scottish It's Crap' look like good recipes to follow.

My question is - will .25 to .5 lbs of malto dextrine make a nice addition to a scottish ale?

Matt

Okay, keep in mind that those are two totally different recipes, yielding two totally different beers. Traquair Owl is much stronger and heavier than IINSIC. Just remember that while Wee Heavy is a Scottish Ale, not all Scottish Ales are Wee Heavy.

Now, to answer your question, like most things in brewing, the only 100% correct answer is "Depends."

What are you trying to accomplish?

Scottish ales generally have a heavy mouthfeel already from high mash temperatures and underattenuative yeast. Adding any maltodextrin at all in that case would be overwhelming. If, however, you use a normally-attenuating yeast and a mid-range single-infusion mash temperature, the addition of some maltodextrin might be a good idea. I certainly wouldn't add it to Traquair Owl, and based on the grist I don't thing IINSIC needs it, either.

But it's up to you! Happy Thanksgiving!

Bob

Thanks for the insight - perhaps I'll try one recipe as is and take it from there.

Matt

Back