T-58 Pros? Cons? Indifference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob

Reaction score
Hello, folks!

I have a hankering to brew another Belgian style. While I'm a big fan of the various Wyeast offerings, I wonder about this Safbrew T-58 I keep seeing. Has anyone actually used it in a Belgian-style ale? If so, what did you think of it? I note the propaganda says things like "peppery", "spicy" and "estery". I also note that Fermentis says, in the PDF spec sheet, that I can expect a high final gravity.

What say you all?

Thanks!

Bob

Did you ever try out the T-58? I, too, have been eyeing it surreptitiously ... I nearly bought a sachet the past 2 times I've been to the LHBS, but told myself to get a few "on deck" brews out of the way first.

I'm thinking of using it perhaps for a first attempt at a Duvel-like Belgian Pale ale. (Been wanting something light, yet hi-octane for the winter months.)

Do mine eyes deceive me? Bob starting a thread??? :D Ok, so it's a month old now.

I don't have any first-hand experience brewing with this yeast, but it's caught my eye quite a few times when I go to my LHBS.

I made a trippel with it. It is not the best stuff for that. It works,but I think the 530 is much better. I would say it is suited for a lower gravity beer or a wheat beer. Not great for strong belgin styles.

I have used it in several styles and have been pleased but, I haven't use it enough to form a general opinion about the yeast.

I have always targeted the lower end of the fermentation range and have yet to have much of the peppery, estery characters the "propoganda" lists.

I don;t have any note but, I don;t recall having any issues with the final gravities being anywhere other than the expected/intended target.

Do mine eyes deceive me? Bob starting a thread??? :D Ok, so it's a month old now.

I don't have any first-hand experience brewing with this yeast, but it's caught my eye quite a few times when I go to my LHBS.

Bob's gone Premium :mug:

Yeah the 58 is a good yeast, but I haven't gotten the 'spiciness' they claim. *shrug*.

Thine eyes deceive thou not. I dislike bumping threads, so I figured it was dead. Thanks, Chris, for reviving it! Thanks also to Beertk and Gila for your thoughts.

I have not yet experimented with it. Perhaps I'll pick up a sachet next I'm browsing the shelves at Keystone Homebrew, my LHBS, and try it.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob's gone Premium :mug:

You know, I didn't spend a dime? I was planning on dropping the coin on or about the first of the year, but I guess enough people decided I'm worth a **** that they donated to my pitiful cause!

Seriously, I'm humbled, and really kind of awed by that.

Yeah the 58 is a good yeast, but I haven't gotten the 'spiciness' they claim. *shrug*.

I'll have to try it and play. Hm. I can think of two ways to enhance ester production: high fermentation temperatures and underpitching. Both have drawbacks, but both are eminently "doable".

Hmmmmmm.

Bob

I'll have to try it and play. Hm. I can think of two ways to enhance ester production: high fermentation temperatures and underpitching. Both have drawbacks, but both are eminently "doable".

Hmmmmmm.

Bob

When I used it, I pitched it around 70 ambient in an American style wheat beer...it came out with some nice light peppery phenols and was a decent beer. Nothing too aggressive or clovey and no 'nanner ( :ban: ) to speak of. I'd imagine that at cooler temps, it's pretty clean considering...

It's more expensive than the other Safales... so maybe my answer, to get the esters, is to brew a 10-gallon batch, and split the satchet between both primaries so that I intentionally underpitch?

I'll have to keep thinking about this. I gotta brew some Lake Walk in the next month, before I stupidly use up my Simcoe on something else. Then, I need to whip up another SMaSH to fill a keg, and some sort of holiday beer for xmas presents for the fam'. But then it's time to start doing some experimental stuff.

I mistakenly used it in a PA once and it definitely had too much 'flavor' for that style. I think compared to liquid Belgian strains where even if you keep the temps low the esters develop even at high ferm temps the T58 was more subtle.

I haven't tried the T-58, but I have tried the Danstar Munich in a dunkel weizen. Total clove overload, I sure hope it mellows out with time....

I'm curious what strain this may be...

I liked the LaChouffe strain a lot for a Belgian pale ale (WLP550/WY3522), though I found it has a strong biscuit note to it so you have to watch the amount of toasted malt in the grainbill to avoid going over a biscuit cliff. :) Does anybody know if this strain has similar characteristics?

I'm venturing out of my comfort zone too, I picked up some K97 since Austin Homebrew repackages it in 11.5g packages, and am going to try it for a Kolsch, every time I see this one on the shelf I wonder if it is any good....

I'm curious what strain this may be...

I liked the LaChouffe strain a lot for a Belgian pale ale (WLP550/WY3522), though I found it has a strong biscuit note to it so you have to watch the amount of toasted malt in the grainbill to avoid going over a biscuit cliff. :) Does anybody know if this strain has similar characteristics?

I'm venturing out of my comfort zone too, I picked up some K97 since Austin Homebrew repackages it in 11.5g packages, and am going to try it for a Kolsch, every time I see this one on the shelf I wonder if it is any good....

K-97(is the same as Wyeast 1007 IIRC) makes a wonderful Alt, but an Alt is not a Kolsch. It's passable but to let it shine do an Alt

If you like a bittered beer, try my https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/alt-owl-58704/

K-97(is the same as Wyeast 1007 IIRC) makes a wonderful Alt, but an Alt is not a Kolsch. It's passable but to let it shine do an Alt

If you like a bittered beer, try my https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/alt-owl-58704/

I didn't find anything saying whether K97 was a kolsch or an alt strain. If it's an alt that is even better, I prefer the clean profile of the alt to the kolsch yeast.

Now if we can just find someone who knows what the T58 is close to...

Lol, 17 posts, out of nowhere. This old thread managed to be pretty useful after all. I'm giving myself a beer for bumping it. Hooray beer! :mug:

Edit: And exactly 3.0 ... wait. 3.1 more FF points in the 2nd half of the NE v Denver game, so I can win this week and go 3-4 so far. Go Pats, specifically Moss and Welker. You had a good 1st half, keep it up. Word! Edit 2: Aaaand I won by 20 pts. Yesssss.

Anecdotally (i.e., I read it on the internet), T-58 is an old English strain that was used for strong ales. Visiting monks took some back to Belgium along with some Fuggles, hence the 'Belgian' references often associated with this yeast.

As a disclaimer, I haven't brewed with it yet, but I have two sachets in my fridge and I'm definately going to use them in my next two beers, an ESB and an English Pale Ale (yes, I think there is a difference ;) ).

Anecdotally (i.e., I read it on the internet), T-58 is an old English strain that was used for strong ales. Visiting monks took some back to Belgium along with some Fuggles, hence the 'Belgian' references often associated with this yeast.

As a disclaimer, I haven't brewed with it yet, but I have two sachets in my fridge and I'm definately going to use them in my next two beers, an ESB and an English Pale Ale (yes, I think there is a difference ;) ).

do you have a link for that? Just curious because that's the thing w/ S33 which is often reputed to be the Edme English ale strain, which Fermentis recommends for "Belgian wheat and Trappist Beers"...which I just don't really get. I've not seen anything similar for T-58.

Well, De Struisse (aka The Best Brewers in the World) use it for their fermentations. However, as has been said before, they also employ open fermentations on top of that, so the characteristics are going to be different.

Moral: It is used by and for Belgian styles.

Well, De Struisse (aka The Best Brewers in the World) use it for their fermentations. However, as has been said before, they also employ open fermentations on top of that, so the characteristics are going to be different.

:off: Have you ever been able to get your hands on Pannepot? It's fantastically awesome!

:)
do you have a link for that? Just curious because that's the thing w/ S33 which is often reputed to be the Edme English ale strain, which Fermentis recommends for "Belgian wheat and Trappist Beers"...which I just don't really get. I've not seen anything similar for T-58.

Alas, I don't have a firm citation. I read it on a British brew board (JIM'S BEER KIT: HOMEBREW FORUM • Index page) in one of the threads on T-58 (there are quite a few). I searched for the exact post, but I can't find it. I guess I'm guilty of spreading internet rumours...;)

I believe you that it is used for Belgian styles. I'm not saying it can't. I was just relaying a bit of (unsubstantiated) info that suggests T-58 may be English in origin. :)

Back