Polishing copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noisy123

Reaction score
Hi,
I managed to solder some pieces of copper for the steam infused mash tun. It was my first time sweating copper on my own and while its water-tight its pretty ugly. I let the copper get a bit hot and its discolored. Is there any way to polish it up a bit now?

Thanks very much for any help.

Scrub it with some PBW or barkeeper's friend. This should clean it up pretty well and remove any remaining flux, too. That's all I did to mine and it's been shiny and clean ever since.

for really basic cleanup I just use a scouring pad in the sink with some soap, it wont remove globs of solder but it will cleanup discoloration and flux. You should run a bunch of hot water through it before using it to remove all the flux on the inside too.

Thanks for all the replies. You guys are awesome. I used some barkeeper's friend and a little elbow grease and it cleaned right up. I may even post pictures of the steam-infused MLT since the joints are nearly as bad as I thought.

Back