Jack's Apricot Vanilla Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made this as my first mead. Used fresh apricots in primary and secondary. Used vanilla extract as I had trouble finding beans. Vanilla got blown out, but otherwise this turned out amazing. Drinkable in 30 days and I can't wait to see where this ends up by Christmas.

Thanks for sharing.

Never mind. I see Zaufendouble did it so there's my answer....unless someone has a quantity to use. :)

I use 100% real vanilla. Depending on what I’m doing, 1 or 2 tablespoons. It adds a touch, without being overpowering. I’ve never added more, but if want that as a more pronounced flavor you could probably add 4 tablespoons.

Thank you, AkTom. That sounds perfect just the way you do it.

Will do. It's going in the bucket on Thursday when we bottle up my first attempt at brewing.

I'm getting ready to throw this together and I had a question. The dried apricots I have (and all that I have found) contain 'sulfur dioxide and/or sodium bisulfite and/or potassium sorbate as preservatives'. Will this ruin the mead? It didn't specify anything in the recipe about avoiding preservatives but I thought I read that these were bad.
Thanks.

One quick question. I have read where people start their mead (especially melomels) in a bucket. Can I do a 1 Gallon batch of this in a 2 gallon bucket until I rack when fermentation ends?
Thanks.

I frequently start 1 gallon batches in a 2 gallon bucket. It also lets you start with a bit more volume for when you rack.

About how long does this one ferment? By the comments, it seems to go fast. My first mead took almost three months and then another year to age. Didn’t change the recipe, except for throwing the whole vanilla bean pod in. Used Fleischmans rapid rise for bread machines.

The higher the abv, the longer it takes to age. As a rule anyway. If you are looking for quick turnarounds, try ~1.5# honey per gallon. Early ferment stirring helps too.

OK. Finally got to put this together. Should be interesting. I had to heat the water and honey some since I used all natural unfiltered honey and it was thick. Only had 1 packet of yeast so it is about 2 1/4 tsp. It got going real good in the shot glass. It overflowed before I could get it in the must.
Now we play the waiting game. Thanks to everyone for your feedback and hints.

Does this mead need to be degassed? I've never done that before and don't know if it's needed. 10 days in and still kicking a bubble through the airlock every 12 seconds or so.

Last edited:
How’d this turn out? I try to degas. I know it helps. I don’t always get around to it.

Would using apricot nectar work just as well as the dried apricots called for in the OP recipe? Or would doing that insert too much suspended apricot puree into the mead, such that it would be difficult/impossible to clear?

I made Joes Ancient Orange Mead about three months ago and am hooked. It is delicious. This recipe also looks good to try. But I’m curious that the amount of yeast is different in this one. The orange calls for 1 teaspoon and this apricot one calls for one tablespoon. (Each packet has 2.5 teaspoons in it.) Is one tablespoon correct?

Would using apricot nectar work just as well as the dried apricots called for in the OP recipe? Or would doing that insert too much suspended apricot puree into the mead, such that it would be difficult/impossible to clear?

I would think it would clear up fine. I would add it after primary fermentation is about done. Give it a go and let us know. Depending on how much you use, it will bump your abv up. You may want to adjust your honey.

I made Joes Ancient Orange Mead about three months ago and am hooked. It is delicious. This recipe also looks good to try. But I’m curious that the amount of yeast is different in this one. The orange calls for 1 teaspoon and this apricot one calls for one tablespoon. (Each packet has 2.5 teaspoons in it.) Is one tablespoon correct?
1 tablespoon is enough. You can use beer or wine yeast also. Sometime I’d like to do several plain meads with different yeasts just to see how they compare.

I would think it would clear up fine. I would add it after primary fermentation is about done. Give it a go and let us know. Depending on how much you use, it will bump your abv up. You may want to adjust your honey.
I've done it with peach nectar as part of primary fermentation, and it tastes great. However, although it did ultimately sink, it never did completely settle out on its own. Therefore, I suspect apricot nectar would behave much the same.

Started a 3 gallon batch of this last Saturday. Used D47 yeast and upped the honey content to 10 pounds and 3 pounds of dried apricots. It set off like a rocket, and is still happily bubbling away. The aroma it's giving off is amazing, so de-gassing it a couple of times a day is a real treat. I opted not to use the vanilla beans in primary, but am going to be introducing vanilla in secondary so that the flavor is a bit more pronounced. Bought the Clover Honey and Dried Apricots at Costco, so this 3 gallon batch is probably going to turn out to be one of the less expensive batches I've brewed in a bit. More updates when I move it to secondary.

How did this turn out?

I mixed up a small batch of this march of 2020. Used some locally sourced honey, organic dried apricot (no other ingredients), half of a cinnamon stick, a clove or two, and Mexican vanilla beans. Fermented all of that together with the bread yeast, and racked after it cleared onto another vanilla bean for 3-4 weeks ( my notes dont specify exactly, I tend to update when I've had a few drinks...). Then racked again to bulk age. I ended up not bottling until July of 21 and at packaging, it already tasted very nice. I sent a few small bottles out to friends who are iffy on mead, and they both (and their spouses) absolutely loved it. It has really nice dessert spice flavors, with some fruitiness poking through. I probably won't get around to it for awhile, but I definitely plan on making this recipe again.

I just started a batch this morning using D47 cause that's what I had laying around. If it gets too dry I will just backsweeten.

I made the mistake of brewing this in a one gallon container. I think it was done but didn't degas and when I racked over to 1 gallon, there's a lot of headspace. I'm going to ride it out and see how it goes. Hope it's not ruined (I had no marbles or anything to add to the volume and reduce head space).

Back