It just...died!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slive

Reaction score
Ack! It's only been fermenting two days now in the primary, and there aren't any more bubbles coming up through the airlock! It was fine for a day or so, but I haven't heard so much as a gurgle today. There are a couple residual bubbles left in the airlock, but I'm not sure anything's actually happening anymore.

Is there anything I can do other than wait and hope for the best? I have a plastic bucket, so I can't really see what's going on in there. I'm really nervous, I hope I didn't screw anything up.

your fine, beers can ferment out in a day or so. Just leave it be for a week or so and put it in the secondary.

Ha...I'm betting its just done fermenting...don't worry about it

It's not that uncommon for some beers to end after a couple of days.

What was the recipe/yeast?

All you should do is just let it hang out for another few weeks

Congrats on your first brew!

The recipe was for a Black & Tan. I used Nottingham yeast (that was the big name on the packet, at least). I thought I did everything right, too! I was just so worried after it stopped bubbling up, I'm going to be a nervous wreck for the next three weeks while this thing's fermenting!

I would RDWHAHB, but I don't have any homebrew yet!

Thank you all so much for your (VERY FAST!) replies! I'm still going to be a Nervous Nancy, but maybe I'll go buy a second fermenting bucket and start on a new brew to get all worried over.... :eek:

And pick up a hydrometer and wine thief while you are at it. It's the only way to be certain a fermentation is done.

I just made my first homebrew and it did the same thing, or close anyway. It seemed to take off good and was bubbling the airlock almost constantly for about a day or so then quit. It's been 48 hours now so I pulled the air lock off and peeked throught the hole and all I see is the liquid and a few small thin patches of foam. This may seem strange but it smells funny too, I kept thinking I know that smell but couldn't place it. So I sit down at the computer and open a Milwaukee's Best Light and its the same smell. :(

Hope yours turns out better than mine.

Since you used Nottingham, you're in good shape. It ferments out pretty fast. I'd aree with others that it's most likey done or almost done fermenting already.

Section1 said:
I just made my first homebrew and it did the same thing, or close anyway. It seemed to take off good and was bubbling the airlock almost constantly for about a day or so then quit. It's been 48 hours now so I pulled the air lock off and peeked throught the hole and all I see is the liquid and a few small thin patches of foam. This may seem strange but it smells funny too, I kept thinking I know that smell but couldn't place it. So I sit down at the computer and open a Milwaukee's Best Light and its the same smell. :(

Hope yours turns out better than mine.

I'm sure yours will turn out just fine too, fermentation has many interesting smells.

Back