not so noob, noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopmd

Reaction score
Howdy guys and gals I feel kinda like a noob with this one, but I've never had a stuck fermentation before.

Long story, but I'll try to make it short...

Thermometer broke when I went to pitch the yeast(ale) and I seem to have killed all the yeasties (probably too cold rather then too hot). No problem, after 4 days of nothingness, I pitched somemore. All was well for about 7 days, then whammo, nothing. The beer is on the heavy side with an og of 1.086, it is now down to 1.024. The temp in the basement is in the low 60's so I figured that's why I saw activity for the 7 days. I transfered to the secondary yesterday. Do I need to reoxygenate the wort or pitch some lager yeast? or take my own advice and relax and have a homebrew?

Depending on the yeast and the recipe, I'd say it's pretty close to finishing. That's 72% attenuation already right there. How low were you expecting it to ferment out to?

loopmd said:
Do I need to reoxygenate the wort or pitch some lager yeast? or take my own advice and relax and have a homebrew?
Like Lupus said, from 1.086 to 1.024 is pretty much done. Definately do not reoxygentate! Just give it a couple weeks in the secondary to clear out and you're good to go.

It's a true brew continental light extract kit that I "kicked up a notch"

1 can muntons light Lme
1 lb rice syrup solids
1 lb corn sugar
Kicked up portion...

3 lbs light dme
2 lbs honey

can't remember the 1st packet of dry yeast
repitched with nottingham dry ale yeast

i think it's done too. rack to secondary and let it condition for a week or two. the cooler pitch temp will not kill the yeast, just retard it. maybe pitch it at a warmer temp next time, and once you see activity, then lower the temp/move to a cooler spot.

It's probably the honey that is hold the SG so high, it will take months for that to ferment out............

Mikey said:
It's probably the honey that is hold the SG so high, it will take months for that to ferment out............

I've used honey in many, many batches prior to this and never had a problem with a normal ferment. :confused:

its hard to kill yeast by going too cold its should be good to almost freezing im the bake shop we stored yeast in the refrigerator at about 36 degreese

Got home last night and took a peek. There is new activity in the airlock. By racking to the secondary it looks like the yeast have "woke up". It looks like I'll get it down below the 1.024 it is now. :) I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the responses.

loop

loopmd said:
Got home last night and took a peek. There is new activity in the airlock. By racking to the secondary it looks like the yeast have "woke up". It looks like I'll get it down below the 1.024 it is now. :) I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the responses.

loop
Many times, after racking to secondary, you'll notice a little activity, but it doesn't necessarily come from any additional fermentation. It often is the result of racking, as CO2 in the solution is released.

Back