Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technically wouldnt it be an eis-lager?

Yea, pretty sure any beer with "ice" in the name uses the same process. I was just referring to BJCP styles. I wonder if the folks who accidentally invented this style would approve of Natty.. Probably too :drunk: to care

I would be very surprised if any of those beers are brewed in a traditional eisbier way, since the regular versions are high-gravity dilution brews. They brew a set quantity of beer to around 30 degrees plato and ferment it out to around 16-17% abv, then dilute to the final p*sswater flavor we all know and love. I would expect for the "Ice" versions they just simply don't dilute as far, rather than going through the trouble of partially freezing and decanting a couple million gallons of beer.

I brewed a Maibock for homebrew club competition, but used an ale yeast. didn't win, place or show, but comments included "good example of style" and 2 said it was better than the calibration beer, Gordon Biersch Maibock

guess as long as it fits the profile, doesn't matter what's in it or how it's made

wlp060 @ 68°

I love you man! You just made my day, my year, my brewing career! This is so much easier than talking SWMBO into the purchase cost, long-term cost, and space for a fermentation fridge. Time to make a run to the LHBS for some wlp060! :mug:

I would be very surprised if any of those beers are brewed in a traditional eisbier way, since the regular versions are high-gravity dilution brews. They brew a set quantity of beer to around 30 degrees plato and ferment it out to around 16-17% abv, then dilute to the final p*sswater flavor we all know and love. I would expect for the "Ice" versions they just simply don't dilute as far, rather than going through the trouble of partially freezing and decanting a couple million gallons of beer.

Makes since, surely its more efficient that way. I know Genesse claims to actually ice their Genesse Ice. I found a tall-boy of this stuff in a seedy gas station in my town, had to try it. It tasted like the rest of 'em, like I expected

I love you man! You just made my day, my year, my brewing career! This is so much easier than talking SWMBO into the purchase cost, long-term cost, and space for a fermentation fridge. Time to make a run to the LHBS for some wlp060! :mug:

sorry, but I'm only fond of you; we've just met ;) :D

Jamil's Maibock recipe, 2:1 Pilsner to Munich target OG - 1.067, 90 minute boil with 27 IBUs of Magnum for 60 mins

Not quite overheard, but I did read this out loud :D

image-3423564319.jpg

At a local Nano I overheard some yuppy d-bag talking to his lady about the brewing process as the brewers killed the boil and started to chill. He leans over to her and says, "See, they have to chill it down now so it doesn't get too bitter" It was all I could do not to laugh out loud in his face.

BrewinHooligan said:
At a local Nano I overheard some yuppy d-bag talking to his lady about the brewing process as the brewers killed the boil and started to chill. He leans over to her and says, "See, they have to chill it down now so it doesn't get too bitter" It was all I could do not to laugh out loud in his face.

Oh no. Why do I feel a "well, actually" coming up? ;)

Along those lines but not beer-related, except that I seriously needed one after managing to bite my tongue: I was in a gun shop in Yucaipa, Ca, and some idiot grabbed a rifle off a display rack and informed his lady (in a loud voice of course, so we could all admire his knowledge), "and this here's a Russian AK-47. Biggest piece of shyte ever made; jams every effing time you try to use it."

To begin with, what he grabbed wasn't even an AK-47 and looked nothing like one. It was an SKS - a fixed-magazine, strictly semi-automatic WWII battle rifle. It bridged the gap between the old bolt-action Mosin Nagants and the full-auto capable AK-47. And although it has its faults, the one feature of the AK-47 which has made it the weapon of choice across the entire third world is its utter reliability. No matter how badly it's mistreated and neglected by ignorant, poorly trained recruits, it keeps right on working.

I'd have called him on his bs, but he struck me as the sort I'd have to fight if I did. And although he was definitely dumber than me, and probably slower and clumsier, he was also bigger and younger. I don't know if I'm getting sensible in my old age, or just lazy.... :p

Oh no. Why do I feel a "well, actually" coming up? ;)

I know I am a real A-hole and usually jump at the opportunity to make someone look like a total tool, but this guy was so dense it didn't seem like it was worth the effort but it wasn't easy.

BrewinHooligan said:
I know I am a real A-hole and usually jump at the opportunity to make someone look like a total tool, but this guy was so dense it didn't seem like it was worth the effort but it wasn't easy.

No, you did the right thing.
With my comment, I was meaning that someone in here would probably step in with some sort of explanation how the guy wasn't entirely wrong in what he was saying and then it would derail the thread for a few pages with arguments back and forth like the other 50 times it has happened in this thread.

I'd have called him on his bs, but he struck me as the sort I'd have to fight if I did. And although he was definitely dumber than me, and probably slower and clumsier, he was also bigger and younger. I don't know if I'm getting sensible in my old age, or just lazy.... :p

The whole way through your post I was annoyed and thinking "This ain't a fvckin' gun thread," then I read your last paragraph. I have been there so many times that I just had to laugh! That **** happens all the time.

Along those lines but not beer-related, except that I seriously needed one after managing to bite my tongue: I was in a gun shop in Yucaipa, Ca, and some idiot grabbed a rifle off a display rack and informed his lady (in a loud voice of course, so we could all admire his knowledge), "and this here's a Russian AK-47. Biggest piece of shyte ever made; jams every effing time you try to use it."

To begin with, what he grabbed wasn't even an AK-47 and looked nothing like one. It was an SKS - a fixed-magazine, strictly semi-automatic WWII battle rifle. It bridged the gap between the old bolt-action Mosin Nagants and the full-auto capable AK-47. And although it has its faults, the one feature of the AK-47 which has made it the weapon of choice across the entire third world is its utter reliability. No matter how badly it's mistreated and neglected by ignorant, poorly trained recruits, it keeps right on working.

I wouldn't have bit my tongue at all. I'd have likely laughed loudly and called him exactly what he is in that particular moment, a dumb ass. Not necessarily to his face but he'd have heard me for sure lol. A d then went about explaining to my wife or whoever was with me why he was wrong hopefully just loud enough for him or his woman to hear.

I wouldn't have bit my tongue at all. I'd have likely laughed loudly and called him exactly what he is in that particular moment, a dumb ass. Not necessarily to his face but he'd have heard me for sure lol. A d then went about explaining to my wife or whoever was with me why he was wrong hopefully just loud enough for him or his woman to hear.
If I had said anything, I'd have said it to his face. I don't have much use for guys who pretend to be addressing their significant others, when they're really talking to someone they don't have the balls to face. It's only happened to me a couple of times that I can remember, and I got directly in their faces about it. Both times, the response was to stare stonily ahead and pretend I wasn't there.

But generally, as I've gotten older I've gotten smarter about picking my fights. Is it really worth the trouble to beat someone up just for being a dumb-ass? Or worse yet, get beaten up by said dumb-ass?

No, you did the right thing.
With my comment, I was meaning that someone in here would probably step in with some sort of explanation how the guy wasn't entirely wrong in what he was saying and then it would derail the thread for a few pages with arguments back and forth like the other 50 times it has happened in this thread.

well, actually... this thread's been derailed by "well actually's" a few more times than 50. just sayin'.

Well, there may be some truth to that, depending upon the recipe. If you continue to boil for an hour after adding what otherwise would have been late hops, I'd bet it would be a lot more bitter than intended.

Well, there may be some truth to that, depending upon the recipe. If you continue to boil for an hour after adding what otherwise would have been late hops, I'd bet it would be a lot more bitter than intended.

Right, but this is post-boil we are talking about. Granted, letting it cool naturally may increase the bitterness some but I doubt it would be noticeable.

While at the LHBS today picking up some ingredients, overheard the owner on the phone.

He was reassuring someone that CO2 doesn't "go bad". What I would give to hear the other side of that one!

Priceless, made my morning!

Billy-Klubb said:
well, actually... this thread's been derailed by "well actually's" a few more times than 50. just sayin'.

Well actually.., even including your fake well actually and the last well.., minus actually, the total is only up to 48 well actually thread derailments.

If I had said anything, I'd have said it to his face. I don't have much use for guys who pretend to be addressing their significant others, when they're really talking to someone they don't have the balls to face. It's only happened to me a couple of times that I can remember, and I got directly in their faces about it. Both times, the response was to stare stonily ahead and pretend I wasn't there.

But generally, as I've gotten older I've gotten smarter about picking my fights. Is it really worth the trouble to beat someone up just for being a dumb-ass? Or worse yet, get beaten up by said dumb-ass?

Nah the few times I've addressed them directly it ended with my blood pressure being up and they still thought they were right.

That's actually been done a couple of different ways. The general consensus is that most of them are awful....Yep, still on my "to brew" list.

Maybe beer shaved ice is the next big thing. Freeze and shave some beer, then put flavored syrups on them. You could do an IPA syrup, a hefeweizen syrup, a jalapeno syrup...:fro:

I like Adjunkies, it's got a better ring. :)

It's been done? I'd love to try it and hear how it was done.

Back