Thoughts on kegs as secondary w/dry hoping.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux

Reaction score
Any one dry hop in a corny? I was thinking of racking from primary to keg and dumping whole hops in.
It's been in primary 2 weeks I'll let sit one more week then try this. With two weeks to carb- and how ever long to drink- do you think the hops will impart a grassy flavor?

Yes I do it all the time, and no I've never noticed a grassy flavor from leaving them in too long (up to 8 weeks I've done it).

Its not a good idea to just put whole hops in. You need to use a muslin bag, stainless tea ball, or something else to keep the hops from clogging your lines. Heck, panty hose works very well (make sure they are new).

kpr121 said:
Yes I do it all the time, and no I've never noticed a grassy flavor from leaving them in too long (up to 8 weeks I've done it).

Do you let the keg sit at ferm temp or chill it while dry hop conditioning?

Usually just throw the hops in right before it goes into the kegerator to carb, it usually works out well that way (1-2 weeks to carb gives it enough time for the dryhops to make their effect). But depending on how my pipeline is going (or if I want to natural carb) I will leave the keg at room temp with the hops in it. Then if I am happy with the hop flavor/aroma take them out or if I am lazy or want some more leave them in.

dry hopping at lower temps takes longer to extract the hop aroma but as stated above the hops can stay in contact with wort much longer without extracting off flavors

for beers that I really want a strong DH aroma for I now dry hop in the primary after about 2 weeks and then add more dry hops in a hop sock when i keg and leave those in until the keg kicks

terrapinj said:
dry hopping at lower temps takes longer to extract the hop aroma but as stated above the hops can stay in contact with wort much longer without extracting off flavors

for beers that I really want a strong DH aroma for I now dry hop in the primary after about 2 weeks and then add more dry hops in a hop sock when i keg and leave those in until the keg kicks

Any sanitizing? I have never sanitized hops. Do sanitize the hop sock?

I don't sanitize the hops, but I dip the pantyhose into a starsan solution. Although I think a lot of times I don't worry too much with the keg hops. I'm anal during fermentation and transfers and what not, but once I get to the keg I'm pretty lax. Might not be the best idea but :shrug:

Latest posts

Back