Cant get Good HEAD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
Now that I have your attention I expext some smart ass comments!!!! hahah

Anyway...most of my brews look flat...i.e no head retention...even though they are well carbonated....anything I can do to aid head retention....i..e adjuncts, etc...?

Now that I have your attention I expext some smart ass comments!!!! hahah

Anyway...most of my brews look flat...i.e no head retention...even though they are well carbonated....anything I can do to aid head retention....i..e adjuncts, etc...?

What are you brewing?

Wheat or oats helps with head retention. Only use a little or you will get a cloudy beer.

Also, make sure your glasses are thoroughly rinsed out with water. Any detergent remaining in the glass will kill the head. I always hand clean my glasses, and rinse; always keep the head right to the bottom of the glass. That spot remover people use in dish-washers also kills the head.

If you use a spot remover in your dish washer, don't clean your bottles in it. Even if you are not adding it, there will still be some in the machine.

Seripously though....thanks for responses guys!

On the wheat.....is there a % that I should base my wheat addition for head retentin...or maybe just throw in 8 oz...etc??? I am looking for some qauntitative values so I dont ad to much.....

Have you tried TIME? yet? Ive noticed, big time how head just gets bigger over time.You may or may not be fully carbonated and depending on your recipe, we could probably tell you more.

I have a Brewers Best smoked porter that seems to have an improved head just in the last week (4 weeks primary, 4 weeks bottl econditioning, 4 weeks in my drinking que) I sanitize my bottles in the dishwasher just prior to bottling, and have stopped using rinse aid on ANY of my dishes.

Lesson i learned.Never fully judge your beer unless you give it 2-3 months if you make it that far.

I have also heard that if you have a strong, solid boil during the brewing process that will encourage a stronger head retention. Also, +1 on TIME. Whether bottle conditioning or kegging... TIME is your best friend and worst enemy. Wait at least 2 weeks before you crack one open.

You know what guys...now that a few of you mentioned it...the best head and most carbonated beer was one that I left in the bottle before drinking......a longgggg time.....I actually drank some after 3-4 weeks in bottle....but about a month later I put (12) of them in fridge and when I drank the,m,....excellent head,...and carbonation....was burping on every other drink....so maybe TIME is the answer!

I always wait 3 weeks in the bottle before drinking but maybe another 3-4 weeks is a good idea!:mug:

Time usually is, dont drink em fast brew more and drink others, let them get better. Almost every single beer ive brewed has made improvements over a few months.Thats why i usually only drink a few of them and let them age.Get a pipline and try some new craft, only problem is i have to try every beer on the face of the earth! In the meantime,+ i get more bottles, and i have too damn many!

TIME, good hot break, good cold break, and last of all, recipe modification with carapils, wheat, oats.

I'm pretty sure it's in bottles ( even though he didn't specifically say that). I will have to say that my legged beers have always had a better head than my bottles.

I've been getting good head for a long time. That's why I married her. Ba-Da-Bing
Naw really crystal, CaraPils, oats, wheat. Depending on the recipe just like everyone has said, incorporate one or more in the brew. Cheers MF!!!

I'm pretty sure it's in bottles ( even though he didn't specifically say that). I will have to say that my legged beers have always had a better head than my bottles.

One key over spells kegged:) I thought it was some kind of new bottleing process that i dont know about, what you dont legg your beer?

Back