Keezer Electricity Usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosier9

Reaction score
Just thought I would throw out a data point here on keezer electricity usage...

So I have a circa-2011 keezer without a collar on currently. I put a kilawatt meter on it approximately a week ago to check out how much juice it uses. It is 15 cu ft and has 3 partially filled kegs in it, as well as a 20lb co2 tank.

Over 165 hrs it used 1.84 kwh's... thats .267 kwh's per day or 8 kwh's per month... For 80 cents per month I get cold beer... I count this as winning!

Anyone else have datapoints for their keezer? I plan on adding a collar once I get passed this lazy stage, so I will add that data.

Brian

No, but this is a great bargaining chip for my soon-to-be wife, who thinks that I am going to drive up the electricity bill to an inordinate amount!

Thanks!

Not surprising. Chest freezers make great fridges. There's lots of articles by tree huggers on how to convert your freezer into a fridge. The cold air doesn't spill out when you open it and it's more efficient. :)

Where is the freezer located? The ambient temperature has a big influence on power consumption. You are getting much better mileage than I am.

I went with a keezer instead of converting a fridge specifically for the energy efficiency. The insulation on a chest freezer is ~3x thicker than on modern fridges, and as mentioned the cold air stays inside when the door is opened. A chest freezer run at fridge temps supposedly uses 1/3-1/2 the power of a similarly sized stand up fridge. The savings probably aren't as drastic with a keezer/kegorator since the door doesn't get opened and closed as often.

My keezer is in the garage, it gets warm but hasn't been hot yet... I open the lid 3-4 times a day...

My keezer is in the garage, it gets warm but hasn't been hot yet... I open the lid 3-4 times a day...

I was gonna guess that it was still quite cool in Nebraska garages this time of year. Must be warmer there than I thought.

Back