Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this three Weeks ago great beer, all I did different is added 2 pounds of honey to the wort as it came into the Brew kettle and stirred frequently came out great...... Oh yeah I listened to a lot of flogging Molly while I brewed lol. Would of liked it to be a bit more red but tastes great none the Less

ForumRunner_20120116_181255.jpg

Brewed this three Weeks ago great beer, all I did different is added 2 pounds of honey to the wort as it came into the Brew kettle and stirred frequently came out great...... Oh yeah I listened to a lot of flogging Molly while I brewed lol. Would of liked it to be a bit more red but tastes great none the Less

View attachment 43908

looks good... did you use the caraaroma and melanoiden malt? if you did then it should be a deep red. unless your crush wasn't that good. only time I've seen it not have a real red color was on a bad crush

Yah I used it I think I may have had a bad crush the grain shop I started using just opened they are a bit new to things still or maybe I didn't get agood mix into the mash ton while I was adding water?, clearly it's still red just not as much a I'd like

Yah I used it I think I may have had a bad crush the grain shop I started using just opened they are a bit new to things still or maybe I didn't get agood mix into the mash ton while I was adding water?, clearly it's still red just not as much a I'd like

it'll still be a tasty beer. I know the one time I had a bad crush and ended up lighter than planned.. it was a VERY tasty beer. so tasty I changed things around to use for a base beer for an APA or IPA

My LHBS doesn't have Caraaroma so he asked if he could sub an extra dark Crystal Malt that is 125-145L. I want to do this recipe as my first all grain batch. I'm still new to this and i'm not sure which grains do what.
What do you think this sub would do to the beer?

I could always order Caraaroma online, but the freight is 5 times the cost of the grain :mad:

Thanks! :mug:

My LHBS doesn't have Caraaroma so he asked if he could sub an extra dark Crystal Malt that is 125-145L. I want to do this recipe as my first all grain batch. I'm still new to this and i'm not sure which grains do what.
What do you think this sub would do to the beer?

I could always order Caraaroma online, but the freight is 5 times the cost of the grain :mad:

Thanks! :mug:

here's the info on the grain...
Very dark caramel malt with aromatic properties. Adds deep red color and aroma. Amber ales, dark lagers, bocks. Substitute for "Belgian Special B" or 120L caramel malts

so yes, you can substitute dark crystal malt.

Just kegged it yesterday... great tasting beer.. malty/roasty a bit much on the honey flavor... i'm thinking this will melow out with some time. The color was "ruby" red but had a tint.. I think i can blame that on my lame attempt at a fly sparge that took all of 15 minutes to complete. (a bit fast).

I will however play with this a bit in my new manifold based mash tun...

Thanks i'll enjoy this one well into the playoffs!

UPDATE: Had some friends over to watch some football this past weekend and boy this red was a hit... the honey really shines in this beer as the abv was somewhere around 8.5 and the beer doesnt drink "hot".

cheers!

I just placed an order with Brewmasters Warehouse. This will be in honor of our new baby boy due May 27. We chose an Irish name, Conner, so I wanted an Irish brew.

Thanks for the recipe and advice in the thread. I'll be brewing next Saturday. Cheers!

I'm doing a Partial Mash, here's what I came up with for 5.5 gal batch:

Ingredient Name Amount
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 3 lbs, 8 oz
Briess Golden Light Dry Extract 3 lbs, 0 oz
Weyermann Cara Aroma ® 1 lbs, 0 oz
Weyermann Cara Foam ® 0 lbs, 8 oz
Weyermann Melanoidin 0 lbs, 8 oz
Weyermann Cara Red ® 0 lbs, 4 oz
Corn Sugar 0 lbs, 4 oz
Honey 1 lbs, 0 oz, Flameout
Crystal Pellets, 4.3% 1 oz @ 60 mins
Cascade Pellets, 6.8% 1 oz @ 30 mins
Whirlflock tab, 15 mins
White Labs California Ale

SW tells me to expect:
OG .059
FG .012
ABV about 5.5%
IBU 28
SRM 16

Quick update. Brewed yesterday, went smoothly. I threw in an extra 4oz of corn sugar I had left over, and OG was 1.061. Color looked great, and airlock had signs of life in 3 hrs and was going strong when I rechecked after 20 hrs. Now for the long painful wait.

Here are the notes from my partial mash since my recipe is in the post above.

Mash grain 60 mins at 152 to 154 with 2.25 gal strike water at 163 deg (I use oven on Warm setting)
Sparge in separate kettle with 2.25 gal water at 175 deg (teabag dunk, gentle stir, 10 min rest at room temp)
Combine wort from mash and sparge kettles and added about .75 gal water for 5 gal boil
Chill, pour into primary, added 1.5 gal water for 5.5 gal batch size.
OG post aeration 1.061

Quick update. Brewed yesterday, went smoothly. I threw in an extra 4oz of corn sugar I had left over, and OG was 1.061. Color looked great, and airlock had signs of life in 3 hrs and was going strong when I rechecked after 20 hrs. Now for the long painful wait.

Here are the notes from my partial mash since my recipe is in the post above.

Mash grain 60 mins at 152 to 154 with 2.25 gal strike water at 163 deg (I use oven on Warm setting)
Sparge in separate kettle with 2.25 gal water at 175 deg (teabag dunk, gentle stir, 10 min rest at room temp)
Combine wort from mash and sparge kettles and added about .75 gal water for 5 gal boil
Chill, pour into primary, added 1.5 gal water for 5.5 gal batch size.
OG post aeration 1.061

Looks like it wet great!

I am eager to read your tasting notes so post that soon. :D

This is such a great brew! :rockin:

Just legged my first attempt at this. All I can say is wow. Samples have tasted great the entire way. I never knew Irish reds could be so delicious.

Mysticmead said:
I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off taking 1st place. Thhis has a DEEEEEP red color and is big on the malt flavor. Enjoy

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
————
Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

I gotta tell you man, I am absolutely in love with this beer. Next month it's going into a contest, I'll be sure to post how it does!
I been playing with the idea of a "blood red IPA", and judging on the deep ruby color I'm currently staring at, I think this might be the grain bill.

I gotta tell you man, I am absolutely in love with this beer. Next month it's going into a contest, I'll be sure to post how it does!
I been playing with the idea of a "blood red IPA", and judging on the deep ruby color I'm currently staring at, I think this might be the grain bill.

great!! Let me know how it scores in the comp.

Wow!!! What a fantastic brew. Kegged today and simply awesome; smooth, malty, by far my best result to date. Sorry for the crappy garage pic, but it's where the keggerator sits and I was too excited to go inside.

I just got all my equipment for all grain brewing, and the 1st thing I'm going to do is redo this as all grain. Nevermind the cloudiness, the beer was extremely clear, but I just got done agitating the keg for force carbonation. It will clear up again in a day or two.

Thanks for the recipe!!!

1eb12204.jpg

Wow!!! What a fantastic brew. Kegged today and simply awesome; smooth, malty, by far my best result to date. Sorry for the crappy garage pic, but it's where the keggerator sits and I was too excited to go inside.

I just got all my equipment for all grain brewing, and the 1st thing I'm going to do is redo this as all grain.

Glad you like it! When you do it as AG you love it even more. I'll be brewing it yet again this weekend. I need a keg of it in about a month to take camping.

Just bought my grain today and am intrigued by this Red. I will be brewing tomorrow and look forward to tasting in a month or so.

Just bottled this a week ago. I went with brown sugar instead of honey but other than that did it by the recipe, BIAB 5 gallon (tiny apartment, no other way in that much space)

I jumped the gun and had an early taste. Already AMAZING! Thanks for posting this recipe. Definitely one of my favorites.

Just bottled this a week ago. I went with brown sugar instead of honey but other than that did it by the recipe, BIAB 5 gallon (tiny apartment, no other way in that much space)

I jumped the gun and had an early taste. Already AMAZING! Thanks for posting this recipe. Definitely one of my favorites.

glad you like it.. make sure you post a pic...

I have 5 gallons fermenting right now. BIAB is a GREAT way to get started with all grain brewing. I have been doing BIAB for over a year and see no reason to change.

Made the all grain batch yesterday. Wasn't the best brew day; did mash in with correct volume and temp but only hit 151 instead of 154. Held 150 thru mash so minor bump, was really close on grav numbers.

My garage fridge decided to kick the bucket so my fermenter is sitting in a closet at 70 deg, and the temp strip on the bucket says 76-78. o_O Fermentation is going crazy using washed yeast from my last batch of the same beer.

Last night when i checked it the dumb spigot was broken and had a slow leak onto the closet floor, so had to dump into another primary. The silver lining was me yelling as I poured the entire batch into the new bucket, "babe! Come look at this beer, it's beautiful!!!" The color of this red is really cool.

My original keg of Raging Red (partial mash) was in the fridge, so it's now at 75 deg. :-(

I have some bottled home brew helping to wash away the worries. Bet it stills turns out great, just tiny worry about ferm temp.

My current version I changed up just a bit. Williamette at 60 and 30 minutes, galena for a dry hop and used Wyeast 1764 (Pacman). This will make it more of an American Amber/Northwest Red Ale... not big on the hop bitterness but lots of aroma and balanced on the malty side.

I'll find out how well it's liked when it goes camping the beginning of May.

Well I didn't have my hydrometer on Wednesday so when I got it back today I took a reading. I guess what I was asking is if that is going to be close to a og or if you think there has been a bit of change. Not much on the bubbles yet...

Brewed this today all went well with my numbers. The sample had great color and was pretty honey flavored. I'm sure that'll ferment out. Can't wait to taste it when finished. Thanks for posting the recipe.

you're welcome! This is by far one of my favorites to brew. yes the honey flavor ferments out but the result is worth it. This beer is very versatile when it comes to changes. my current version I made a bit hoppier and dry hopped. sort of like a Northwestern Red Ale

Brewed 10 gallons of this last night! Only changes were WY1084 Irish Ale yeast and subbed the caraaroma for Crystal 120.

This weekend I had some friends over for dinner and the Irish guy had his wife cut him off after four glasses. Nice complement to hear an him say, "that was a right proper Red, liked it better than Smith'icks. Told me wife on the drive home I might try home brewing myself."

Just kegged the AG version today, should be on the tap in a week or so. Really enjoyed this brew, got the neighbors wandering over noticeably more often, and they go for the Raging Red straight away.

This weekend I had some friends over for dinner and the Irish guy had his wife cut him off after four glasses. Nice complement to hear an him say, "that was a right proper Red, liked it better than Smith'icks. Told me wife on the drive home I might try home brewing myself."

Just kegged the AG version today, should be on the tap in a week or so. Really enjoyed this brew, got the neighbors wandering over noticeably more often, and they go for the Raging Red straight away.

awesome.. glad you (and your neighbors like it. make sure to post a pick here of the beer..

here's my latest.. first sample taken from the keg... I'll get some more pics this weekend hopefully with some natural lighting so the red really shines... that's if it lasts long enough.. it's going camping :)

nice red color.. hoppy aroma (I dry hopped this one with 2oz of Galena), Malty, and a creamy head.
2012-05-02231057.jpg

nice lacing
2012-05-02231209.jpg

Couple iPhone pics, but they don't show the color well. It isn't so dark in person. This has been in the keg for a week. Turned out really well, despite the leaky spigot that caused me to dump the whole thing into a new primary on day 2, and the broken fridge that meant I had to ferment in a closet where the temp on the bucket showed 76 degrees. I was worried for naught, brew is splendid.

b322b5e7.jpg

b36bb468.jpg

Planning to brew this recipe in a couple of days as my first all-grain beer. Showed the recipe to my LHBS guy. He said, "Looks like a good one." The guy's a genius in my view; so, I'm excited to get started.

Back