Blow off hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmurda

Reaction score
Just made an ipa and took the og and it was 1.075 just wandering if i should use a blow off hose. I used california 001. And Would it be alright to attach a tube in the little hole on my ale pail. Thx

I always use a blowoff tube on all of my fermenters. I have ceased using airlocks.
I have had several airlocks launched from fermenters in the past.

What liquid do you prefer in your blow of jug? I used my first blow off rig for my last IPA and my jug was a growler with tap water. I know some people like star san or similar products, but if yeast is being propelled into the jug, wouldn't that be open to "infection"? I didn't have any problems with my tap water jug, but that was my first attempt. Should I expect the same results for the years to come?

I do not ferment in carboys. 5 gallon batches ferment in 7.5gal conical and 10-11 gallon baches in 1/2 barrel sanke. Occasionally, I will ferment in a 6.5 bucket with a blowoff tube attached to the 3pc airlock. Unless I use dry yeast, I always make a 2 liter starter.

I do not ferment in carboys. 5 gallon batches ferment in 7.5gal conical and 10-11 gallon baches in 1/2 barrel sanke. Occasionally, I will ferment in a 6.5 bucket with a blowoff tube attached to the 3pc airlock. Unless I use dry yeast, I always make a 2 liter starter.

Do you mind if I ask where you got your conical from? I was looking at some and was hoping to get your opinion.

Thanks

eljefe said:
Do you mind if I ask where you got your conical from? I was looking at some and was hoping to get your opinion.

Thanks

I have a Blichmann 7.5 gallon fermenter. if I were to do it over again, I would not have gone with the 7.5. I would have purchased the 14 gallon model. Or better yet, a cheaper solution is converting a sanke keg to a fermenter. I am mostly brewing 11 gallon batches.

I used airlocks until the second one blew and shot krausen out the top of the carboy and covered the inside of my ferm fridge. First time it was a bucket, blew the whole lid off completely but wasn't as traumatic as having to scrape krausen off of everything for hours (literally).

I use idophor solution in a jug, but star san would probably be better since it is more stable. Idophor only lasts 3-5 days before you have to add more to keep it active.

I have a Blichmann 7.5 gallon fermenter. if I were to do it over again, I would not have gone with the 7.5. I would have purchased the 14 gallon model. Or better yet, a cheaper solution is converting a sanke keg to a fermenter. I am mostly brewing 11 gallon batches.

Sankes work great, but can be a bit difficult to clean. I have several from a local brewery that was ready to scrap a palletfull. Can't beat the price but they do require a bit more work to keep sanitary. It would be nice to have the larger opening so you had more room to work with.

I agree that there is a little more effort involved in cleaning the sanke fermenter, but no more than cleaning my conical. Sanitizing is easy. I boil about 2 gallons of water in it before brewing and then rinse with Star San. So far, no infections. The conical takes more effort because I disassemble and clean the 3pc valves after every batch.

I think we may have slightly hijacked the thread here, although there has been some great info posted. For the original question, has anyone rigged a blow off hose on a bucket with a drilled lid? If so, what size stopper and or hose did you use? thanks guys

If the Ale Pail has a hole w/grommet, then a 3pc airlock with the cap an inner stem cover removed works well. All that is needed is to attach the properlys sized tubing to it and run that tubing into the blowoff jug. If not, then a trip to a LHBS is in order.

BigBadMikey said:
If the Ale Pail has a hole w/grommet, then a 3pc airlock with the cap an inner stem cover removed works well. All that is needed is to attach the properlys sized tubing to it and run that tubing into the blowoff jug. If not, then a trip to a LHBS is in order.

+1. I also break open the tip of the airlock w/ scissors-- the part that goes in the bucket-- so it doesn't get clogged up. All of my beers get a blow-off rig, from my bucket into a growler w/ some Star-San.

Back