What happens when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krane

Reaction score
So after a lot of reading and studying beer, I've realized I made a "mistake" on my first extract batch: I racked the beer off of the trub after the boil, added water to get to 5 gallons, pitched the yeast and then poured between my pot and bucket to aerate before putting it in the primary. I am wondering if/how this would affect my beer in comparison to pitching once it's in the fermenter. In case it makes a difference, this was a Brewer's Best American Pale Ale kit. Also, it was Nottingham yeast that had been rehydrated.

I bottled it almost four weeks ago, and have had a few green bottles, but it seems to be just fine; it's not exactly how I want it, but seems pretty good for my first beer. I did my second batch (Northern Brown Ale) a couple days after, and had read enough to find out the correct way to pitch.

Either way, just joined today and as cliche as it is (I guess in the world of HBT?), I can't believe how addictive this is.

So I think you're wondering if there is a difference between aerating before or after you pitch the yeast? People do both. I'd say most aerate first, but you really won't see a difference. I do both. Aerate while going from the boil kettle to fermenter, pitch, then shake the hell out of it.

think your fine. people say not to areate after pitching yeast. i think they really mean dont areate after fermentation has begun. if you pitch first and then areate right after it shouldn't matter. the big deal is adding oxygen after fermentation has begun (which takes a while, like severl hours to days) if you pitched then areated right after, you didn't really make a mistake. rdwhahb! and welcome!

just a thought. what do you mean by green bottles? how did they taste? what was your process? garaunteed someone on here can help make sure this doesnt happen again. (first time i bottled i used twist offs. how much could it hurt? some were good some not.) your situation could be anything. put everything you did on here and some one will tell you what you did wrong. :) not in a bad way. HBT is a great resource for the home brewer! it has helped me through all of my brews so far

In a perfect world, aerate and pitch. I did do the same thing once and beer turned out fine.

VB

I kind of figured it wouldn't make much of a difference...just a different order but seems really similar.

Btw, I meant green beer and not green bottles. Just saying I had the itch and couldn't wait to sample a few. Speaking of which...

oh i see. sorry i thought you were trying to trouble shoot some off flavors.

Back