First Try At All Grain - Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently finished my first beer which was a liquid extract wheat beer with specialty grains. It's carbonating now and I'm already itching to start another one. From everything I've read, it's obvious that all grain is where it's at but I'm not sure where I should start. Is there a recipe I should consider which is an "easy" all grain to brew? Any pointers would be great.

When I started all grain, I wasn't quite sure how everything was going to go. I just kinda jumped in and was winging it. So I just made a real simple pale-ale. 2-row, some crystal, some victory, and hops. (in case it didn't turn out right, I wasn't out a huge $ amount) After the first couple go arounds, you'll figure out your method, system, and timing, and you can get more adventerous.

My first AG Batch was my 3rd batch ever. I didn't find the jump to be that difficult.

IMO - unless you're really worried about monetary investement, just pick a recipe that has a "simple" AG process (i.e. no decoctions or multi-step mashes) and go for it. The number of different grains or hops in a beer doesn't necessarily mean that the PROCESS to make that beer is more complicated.

If you "over" simplify it, from the boil forward, Extract and All Grain brewing are basically identical... So, assuming you're comfortable with the extract brewing process, what you really need to learn about is mash process.

With that, just do your homework and do your best to understand the steps you need to take be methodical. Read up on how to hit your strike and sparge temps and volumes (that was the part I learned after my 1st AG batch) such that you hit the proper mash temps and get the amount of wort you're looking for.

Once you're comfortable with those numbers. Make a list of your processes for your brewday, step by every little step. Run through the list a few times in your head to make sure it makes sense to you and dive in.

Thanks for the suggestions/advice guys. One thing I didn't realize is that I may need additional equipment. Right now I have:

- 5 Gallon Brew Kettle
- 6.5 Gallon Fermenter Bucket
- Bottling Bucket
- Syphon/Racking Cane
- Steeping bags
- Utensils etc

What am I missing for All Grain?

Thats what I had prior to the switch, and all I bought was a 10 G kettle (for full boils), a propane burner (stove may not support weight, or boil 8 G preboil vol...plus, something nice about being outside), and a large strainer bag (24x24 is good so you can mash in your 5 gal kettle, or your 10 gal kettle--for bigger grain bills). You can do up to ~13# grain bill in a 5 gal kettle using a 1.1 mash thickness.

thats all you really need, and just do deathbrewer's method (search "deathbrewer stovetop all grain method").

its more work when you dont have a dedicated mash tun, but it works the same.

I did an extract batch for my first, AG for my second... loved it (mash in smells sooo good:D).

good luck.

You may want to look at DeathBrewer's all grain stovetop method then you would only need one more pot.

-Otherwise, you are going to need a much larger pot (in the 8 to 10 gallon range) and a way to do full boils (propane burner) and you want to look at a wort chiller in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions/advice guys. One thing I didn't realize is that I may need additional equipment. Right now I have:

- 5 Gallon Brew Kettle
- 6.5 Gallon Fermenter Bucket
- Bottling Bucket
- Syphon/Racking Cane
- Steeping bags
- Utensils etc

What am I missing for All Grain?

joeunc said:
You may want to look at DeathBrewer's all grain stovetop method then you would only need one more pot.

-Otherwise, you are going to need a much larger pot (in the 8 to 10 gallon range) and a way to do full boils (propane burner) and you want to look at a wort chiller in the future.

That's what I was going to post. I'll be trying DB's technique in a few days myself.

Another item you may want to get is a mash tun. I ended up getting a turkey fryer with a 8 gallon aluminum pot and propane burner from Menards. Its a nice cheap way to get started

I'm going to do my first AG next weekend. One thing I would suggest is do your research and figure out your steps before diving in. Write them down and know why your are going to do them that way.

I saw a lot of people suggesting a SMaSH for the first all-grain batch but I actually made the recipe for Ellie's Brown Ale that Avery Brewing sent me. I'll let you know how it turns out in about a month.

Once you think something is sanitized, sanitize it again. best advice someone ever gave me.

I too did all grain for my third ever batch. I did northern brewers American wheat kit. Real easy, only two hop additions and its looking great in the better bottle. I hit 80% efficiency. This weekend I'm doing a cream ale as soon as I get a wort chiller. Good luck and stick with it!

Thanks everyone. Going shopping tonight for ingredients hopefully. Any suggestions for either a Brown Ale or Pale Ale recipe?

reading through the additional responses and looking at your current equipment, definitely agree on a bigger kettle to boil the entire 5G batch. I got an 11 gallon Stainless turkey fryer before I went all grain. That and a good propane burner are the two things I really REALLY wish I would have had right off the bat.

If you like DIY projects, Mash tuns are pretty easy to make, too...

reading through the additional responses and looking at your current equipment, definitely agree on a bigger kettle to boil the entire 5G batch. I got an 11 gallon Stainless turkey fryer before I went all grain. That and a good propane burner are the two things I really REALLY wish I would have had right off the bat.

If you like DIY projects, Mash tuns are pretty easy to make, too...

If you have a 5 gallon kettle and a 10 gallon kettle, you already have a mash tun ;).. two to be precise.

spend the extra money you would have spent on a tun, on a chiller (something I forgot in my earlier post that isnt a necessity, but damn near close--- fortunately, they are easy as pie to throw together yourself, just search for 50 ft of copper tubing on ebay (I paid like 30 bucks).

have fun

Was going to pick up a bigger pot tonight but the local place was selling them for $80 at the cheapest which was more than I was looking to spend. Going to investigate other places. My 5 gallon is stainless steel, is aluminum acceptable? They seem to be cheaper.

I'll look into a wort chiller but I'd be lying if I said I understood the purpose. Haha.

Additionally, the grains I picked up today aren't really crushed. Do I need to do that? Here's a photo of what they look like:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/stupidsunday/IMG_20110114_194045.jpg

Was going to pick up a bigger pot tonight but the local place was selling them for $80 at the cheapest which was more than I was looking to spend. Going to investigate other places. My 5 gallon is stainless steel, is aluminum acceptable? They seem to be cheaper.

I'll look into a wort chiller but I'd be lying if I said I understood the purpose. Haha.

Additionally, the grains I picked up today aren't really crushed. Do I need to do that? Here's a photo of what they look like:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/stupidsunday/IMG_20110114_194045.jpg

Your grains aren't crushed. You'll have to take them back and have them crushed, or grab a rolling pin and hand crush them.

A 5 gallon pot isn't big enough to boil 6.5 gallons of wort- do you have a second pot? You could do a 1/2 batch, though- you should be able to boil 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot.

A wort chiller is how you chill the wort after the boil. It's very difficult to chill 5+ gallons of boiling wort just with an ice bath.

Your grains aren't crushed. You'll have to take them back and have them crushed, or grab a rolling pin and hand crush them.

A 5 gallon pot isn't big enough to boil 6.5 gallons of wort- do you have a second pot? You could do a 1/2 batch, though- you should be able to boil 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot.

A wort chiller is how you chill the wort after the boil. It's very difficult to chill 5+ gallons of boiling wort just with an ice bath.

Thanks for the info. Figured the grains would have to be crushed. May just do it myself rather than trek back to the store. Any idea where I can get a larger pot at an affordable price?

Wort chiller makes sense.

Check amazon for prices on turkey fryers (30+ quart). Read up on it if you want to, but Aluminum is fine & cheaper than stainless, but you need to "prep" the aluminum before use (basically boil water in it for 30 minutes or so).

Also, look at just the kettle, and look at kettle + burner combo's. My bet is that you could probably find turkey fryer kit with a propane burner for just a touch more than the kettle itself.

Check amazon for prices on turkey fryers (30+ quart). Read up on it if you want to, but Aluminum is fine & cheaper than stainless, but you need to "prep" the aluminum before use (basically boil water in it for 30 minutes or so).

Also, look at just the kettle, and look at kettle + burner combo's. My bet is that you could probably find turkey fryer kit with a propane burner for just a touch more than the kettle itself.

Thanks for the heads up but unfortunately, cooking outside isn't an option. I live in an apartment and my landlord wouldn't look too kindly upon me running a propane burner on my porch. I'm going to have to go with the stovetop method that other people linked to earlier in this thread.

So, I'm still going to try to find a 6.5 gallon pot and take it from there. Still on the fence about the wort cooler. Homebrewing costs add up after a while!

Thanks for the heads up but unfortunately, cooking outside isn't an option. I live in an apartment and my landlord wouldn't look too kindly upon me running a propane burner on my porch. I'm going to have to go with the stovetop method that other people linked to earlier in this thread.

So, I'm still going to try to find a 6.5 gallon pot and take it from there. Still on the fence about the wort cooler. Homebrewing costs add up after a while!

Before you spend the money on a bigger pot, check and see how powerful your stove is. Most people can NOT boil 5+ gallons on top of their stove.

I can- but I have a kick ass gas professional stove with a big powerful burner.

Try boiling water in the biggest pot you have before finding out you may not be able to do it on your stove with wort!

Before you spend the money on a bigger pot, check and see how powerful your stove is. Most people can NOT boil 5+ gallons on top of their stove.

I can- but I have a kick ass gas professional stove with a big powerful burner.

Try boiling water in the biggest pot you have before finding out you may not be able to do it on your stove with wort!

That's great advice. I'll fill up the 5 gallon today and see what I can do before dropping more cash.

oh, and remember, if you start with 5 gal, or even 6, you will probably need to top up your final volume with some water, since you will have boil off and loss to hops. I have a 10 gallon kettle... I dont fill it up, but Im sure glad I didnt buy an 8 gallon pot...

I agree with yooper, test before you buy. Oh, and I would also make sure your stovetop can even support the weight of 7.75 gal preboil plus a 20 lb pot....you might be limited to doing partial mashes until you have more space and/or are able to brew outside. (or you could look into electric :)).

Looking more like partial mash is the way to go for me at this point. Unfortunately, I jumped the gun and bought all this for an all-grain recipe:

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)

I can still use some of that for a partial mash, right? Just replace the Pale Malt with an extract?

Looking more like partial mash is the way to go for me at this point. Unfortunately, I jumped the gun and bought all this for an all-grain recipe:

I can still use some of that for a partial mash, right? Just replace the Pale Malt with an extract?

Yes, as long as the grains aren't all mixed together!

You can plan on this:
1 pound grain = .75 pound LME = .6 pound DME.

You can sub some or all of the two-row (pale malt) with extract.

Fortunately the grains aren't mixed yet. Sorry for all the questions but I was also just reading through Deathbrewer's method and he seems to be able to do an all grain recipe in a 6 gal pot, no?

See if he'll let you do it in the parking lot in exchange for a few 12ozes of the final product! :mug:

Also, as far as the wort cooler goes, I don't even view that as an option. I did two batches and realized I simply couldn't live without one. On top of the time savings, there's an incredible difference between the clarity of beer with a good cold break versus without.

Fortunately the grains aren't mixed yet. Sorry for all the questions but I was also just reading through Deathbrewer's method and he seems to be able to do an all grain recipe in a 6 gal pot, no?

yes.. but, he tops off with cold water during cooling to get his final volume.

yes, but the boil is the problematic part.. Id just mash the whole thing.. youre going to have to mash anyway if you are doing a partial mash.. a full mash would actually be easier.. and cheaper (no DME to fuss with...and you already have all the grain:)).

9.75 # grain will easily fit in that pot for a mash, then just boil what you can, topping off with cold water (then maybe an ice bath will be adequate to cool to pitching temp--- like with deathbrewers method.

thats what I would do anyway. GO FOR IT!!

Back